Ran (not walked) first 5k las night

Options
DebLee
DebLee Posts: 38 Member
I have walked 5Ks for for over 20 years. But for the past 6 weeks I have been trying hard to run the distance outside every 3 days. I also ran on the treadmill the day before each outdoor run but using the random program to get familiar with inclinces. I used Map my run to figure out a 5K distance in my subdivision and just started running.
My fastest outside time before the race was 25 minutes and 57 seconds. I thought if I maintained a good pace for the whole distance i would be doing good.
I did better than good....
My goal overall was to finish in 30 minutes. I placed second for my age group (45-49) - 24 minutes and 40 seconds.

It took me 2 years to lose almost 40 pounds. Probably the best change in my life. It led to this YMCA 5K run. I think I will start to prepare for another 5K. But I think I will make doing 2 races my goal for next year so they are spreadout.

Just had to toot my horn to show that losing weight can be inspiring :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Liliansamata
    Liliansamata Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success.
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Awesome! That's a huge accomplishment!
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    So, :flowerforyou: !!!

That is amazing news, and I KNOW you are proud of yourself! One of my goals is to run more than walk a 5K and finish close to 30 before I turn 50, and it's awesome to see that someone else in my age group (I'm 48 now) did it after weight loss.

You are an inspiration! :heart: :drinker:
  • marykate1984
    marykate1984 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Way to go!! Huge success! :)
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Woooohoooooo! Congratulations! That's a fantastic accomplishment. :drinker:
  • carolose46
    carolose46 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    that's amazing! you are fast! I did some 5k and the best time was 28:30. It usually is around 31 min. Congrats My age group (44-49)
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful feeling - your first 5k! the sky's the limit! congrats :)
  • Be11adonna
    Be11adonna Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on running your first 5K in a respectful time too :smile:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • Run50nutter
    Options
    Fabulous achievement Well Done :flowerforyou:
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    It took me 2 years to lose almost 40 pounds. Probably the best change in my life. It led to this YMCA 5K run. I think I will start to prepare for another 5K. But I think I will make doing 2 races my goal for next year so they are spreadout.

Just had to toot my horn to show that losing weight can be inspiring :flowerforyou:

Woot! What a rush! Good job.

You may discover (as I have) that as you work for another 5K or two (or three!) that the 5K becomes your regular daily run. Maybe not at the pace you ran this time; but it would not surprise me if you posted this time next year that you were running a 5K 5 or 6 days a week.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!