Low-Impact Cardio?

Options
Hi,

So, I've been either walking for 45 minutes or, more frequently, using the elliptical for 20 minutes several days a week the past week.

However, now the top of my right foot is hurting. I have no idea what that is about.

My question is, what can I do for weight loss? It's hard to only have 1200 calories/day, and without cardiovascular activity, I don't know what I should do. Even the elliptical seems to trigger my foot. Would strength training help me at all?

Thanks!

Replies

• PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Walking and elliptical is about as low impact as you can go. You could try swimming? However my best advice on this is go to your doctor and work out why your foot is hurting. Don't just accept it and give up :)

Side-note: My friend's foot was always hurting when he ran. It got better when he started keeping his trainer laces a bit looser.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    First, I would re-evaluate whether you really need to limit yourself to 1200 net cals a day. See link below and make sure your settings and goals are correct.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Second, I would recommend swimming or a rowing machine if you have access to those. I just started using a rowing machine and it is a great full body workout.

Strength training is always a great idea but it doesn't burn as many calories as cardio if that's what you're after.
  • Submariner5
    Options
    Swim
  • vsangelwings95
    vsangelwings95 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    dancing?
  • crawpapa
    crawpapa Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My toes start to hurt after about 20-30 minutes on the elliptical. Change things up and see how you feel; new shoes, looser lace; tighter lace to keep from slipping or do elliptical once a week and other activities the other days. You may need some sort of arch support in your shoes, but that's for a podiatrist to figure out. Have you tried icing after your workouts?