Stupid Scale!!

Options
I was weighing in for my first day of the Biggest Loser competition at work (Yay!) and the scale was 8 pounds more than what I weighed on my home scale this morning!! I know all scales will give you a different weight but 8 POUNDS?!? OUCH!!! Granted I weigh myself naked but I doubt my jeans and converse add that much. I'm still going to trust my home scale...it also agrees with my doctor's office scale :)

Replies

• becomingsara
    Options
    I agree with the title...STUPID SCALE!!!
  • hillevans
    Options
    I am also doing a competition at my office and the scale is a little different from my home scale. I weight myslef in the morning with no clothes and then weigh again after i put on a shirt and then again after pants and try to find a light outfit for a weigh in day. I found that one of my bras made me weigh an extra 2 pounds on the scale. I hope this advice helps.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I think your clothes really can do it. Shoes = 2 lbs, jeans = 2-3 lbs (plus if you carry wallet, keys, etc, there's another lb or two).

Good news, though. It means you have more to lose than you do at home! (and those on the Biggest Loser who have more to lose than others end up doing better than those who weigh less)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    8 lbs definitely means one of the scales you are using is not right BUT 3-4 lb gain is completely understandable.

I ran a BL challenge at my office this summer and since it was my scale I was able to weigh in at home in the nude before eating or drinking water and then at work with clothes on and water I would be 3 lbs heavier on the same scale.

Also make sure the floor is flat - weigh in on a tile floor like in your office kitchen rather than carpet.

Good luck!
  • Mandie1120
    Mandie1120 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What ever scale you use, stay consistent for your actual weight. If you loose a lbs you will see it on the scale either way so if it is 8 lbs more at work and you loose a lbs it will still show up as a lbs lost. You could also bring a 5 lbs weight to work and see if it registers 5 lbs. Do it with your home scale too. My daughter used to turn the dial on my old scale to mess with me... haha! Not so funny when i thought I gained 5 lbs in one day ;)

Clothes weight more than we thought though. I put a pile of clothes that I was going to wear on the scale and it registered 5.9 lbs!!!

Good luck with the competition. Willingness to do something like that is the first step so give yourself a pat on the back :))))
  • melodymartinez
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Hopefully my outfit today was just extra heavy. I think i'll wear a cotton dress next time ; ). My scale at home I've had for a while and has always matched my doctor's scale so that is the number I'm going to trust. Also the scale at work is on carpet, so I'm sure that makes a difference. I'm pretty pumped about starting...though tomorrow is my husband's birthday, I'm off work and he wants to go out to breakfast at the most unhealthy place ever!
  • MiaC123
    MiaC123 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    jeans= 2 lbs (weigh 'em, you'll see!)
    I removed everything possible without being naked in public b4 I weigh in! I also make sure I wear light clothes that day!