Strength training at home and/or DVD recommendations?

Options
HI- I am very new to the idea of strength training of any sort and honestly don't know where to start. I am unable to join a gym at this time so I need to start at home. Are there any DVDs or weights I should start with? Anyone with any ideas or tips on how to start and what to start with, any info would be appreciated!

Replies

• dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Check out Youtube, I love Fitness Blender workouts, also BeFit, they have a lot of strength workouts and they are free. I workout from home and invested in dumbbells up to 25lbs.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to any equipment? Barbells/plates? Kettlebells? Dumbbells? Resistance bands?

If not, body weight routines can be very effective. Convict Conditioning and Your Are Your Own Gym are pretty popular.
  • AbbyMRiley
    Options
    When I started strength training, I had no idea how to begin. I didn't know anything. I felt clueless in a gym so I started with P90X and felt I learned a lot and really benefitted from the program. It is a big commitment but well worth it. I went down two dress sizes. There is another DVD I like right now. It is pretty much a mix of cardio and resistance training mainly with your body and resistance bands called T25. Only 25 minutes a day and I have seen results with that, too. Those are the only experiences I have had and they have worked for me.
  • swillybay
    swillybay Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Kelly Coffey Meyer videos are EXCELLENT. She has a website called Coffey Fit. I started doing Jillian Michaels and switched to her - so much better and not so many joint-ruining exercises. Good luck and enjoy!
  • phostose
    Options
    Youtube would definitely be the cheapest. But if you really want to buy a dvd. Check out things from Jillian Michaels or Tony Horton, thats where I've heard the most success.
  • carblover79
    Options
    I have the Leslie Sansone "Walk it off in 30 Days" DVD. IT has both a 30 minute cardio session and a 30 minute free weight session. All you need are 2 free weights in whatever weight you are comfortable with.
  • rachempoo
    rachempoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I think resistance bands are a good place to start as they are affordable and very versatile. Some bands come with basic workout DVD's. Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    I love Hip Hop Abs though I haven't done them in a while. Second best to me is Zumba. I switch back and forth, started Hip Hop Abs again today! :D
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    check out www.jefit.com. There are lots of routines there including bodyweight ones. You can get a free account to log your workouts so you can see your progress in graphs and interact with lots of other friendly, respectful, like minded people. Routines can be looked at without an account.
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Great place to start if you have internet at home

http://www.benderfitness.com/2013/02/my-first-bikini-competition-prep-month.html

Also Chalean Extreme is great at least for getting you settled with form and the idea of strength training

If you have gym access jump right in with SL 5x5

Best way to get into strength training is read read read and just get into it... Dont hesitate! Just do!

bodybuilding.com has tons of useful information also
  • misslucy77
    misslucy77 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is great advice, I can't wait to look up everything. Thanks everyone!!
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I always loved The Firm video series.