Pissed Off!

Options
Please, someone give me some words of wisdom here. I need them now more than ever...

Just finished my 4th week. First 3 went really well. I lost 11.4lbs. I felt I worked my *kitten* off on week 4. I walked 6 out of 7 days for 60 min/5-6 km each time. I purposely did not eat nachos and pizza when we went out with friends. I was under my net calories 6 of the 7 days and ate relatively decent. I stayed off the scale because I get discouraged at some point and throw in the towel. I need to weigh in once a week for MFP. So...... I put on weight! Wtf! Pisses me the f@ck off! Wtf did I gain for my sacrifices this week... Someone help me out here before I lose it... Makes no god damn sense to me.

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Remember weight gain does not necessarily mean fat gain. 11 pounds in 3 weeks is a huge weight loss. My body does not lose at a steady pace. I fluctuate depending on water intake, bm's, amount of exercise and salt intake. My body also plays tricks on me. I won't lose for a few weeks and the all of a sudden I am down 2 to 3 pounds. As long as you are progressing downward over the long haul do not despair over one little bump. You are doing well.
  • JKDLady
    JKDLady Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on 11.4 pounds lost in 3 weeks! That's a lot to lose in a short amount of time.

Taking a quick look at your diary shows that you've had some really high sodium days, which probably means you are retaining water. I typically hold on to excess water for a couple of days after a high sodium day. Try to cut back on the sodium and see if that helps.

Don't get discouraged! You didn't put the weight on overnight, and it won't come off overnight.

Good luck to you!
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Don't be stressed, this is completely normal. We think that weight loss is linear, but it is up and down. If you eat at a calorie deficit, the downs overcome the ups.

The 11.4 lb. early loss is normal for someone starting out. It is water and glycogen emptying out, now you'll have slower normal gains going forward. Not to worry, you're on track.

I noticed you were over on sodium on Saturday and Sunday. Going over on sodium leads to short-term water retention. That likely caused the short-term gain that you're worried about.

Don't stress, just keep at it. In a few days the trend will go back down and then some.
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options
    Thanks folks. Never thought of the sodium. I am staying committed to this, just didn't want to see the scale go the wrong way. That is so frustrating to me especially after working hard at this....
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Please, someone give me some words of wisdom here. I need them now more than ever...

Just finished my 4th week. First 3 went really well. I lost 11.4lbs. I felt I worked my *kitten* off on week 4. I walked 6 out of 7 days for 60 min/5-6 km each time. I purposely did not eat nachos and pizza when we went out with friends. I was under my net calories 6 of the 7 days and ate relatively decent. I stayed off the scale because I get discouraged at some point and throw in the towel. I need to weigh in once a week for MFP. So...... I put on weight! Wtf! Pisses me the f@ck off! Wtf did I gain for my sacrifices this week... Someone help me out here before I lose it... Makes no god damn sense to me.

Weight fluctuation is normal and you may not see a loss each week. It may be frustrating, but try to look at the trend over time and not one specific day or week.
  • hep26000
    hep26000 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You got this. You are doing amazing. :happy:
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Options
    It's better to be pissed of than pissed on....How about that for wisdom?

Seriuosly though. Keep at it....sounds like you are doing great work. In the long run you will see results. Please keep in mind. This is not a diet or a program that you get on and then get off. It is life.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up.

You lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time. That's no small feat :)

Just keep doing what you're doing and it will keep falling like it's falling.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks. Never thought of the sodium. I am staying committed to this, just didn't want to see the scale go the wrong way. That is so frustrating to me especially after working hard at this....

I definitely understand the frustration. I had some pretty wild fluctuations during my weight loss. It helped to see a general downward trend, so I recorded my weight on the first of every month into an excel spreadsheet. It took me 10 months to lose 35lbs, which is an average of 3.5lbs per month. You lost over 11lbs in 3 weeks! Of course there will be weeks when you gain or not lose anything at all, but that doesn't mean you're not doing it right! Keep going!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    4 weeks? TOM perhaps?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to go up little bit to come down, as long as your going in the down ward direction.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Perhaps your electrolytes are out of balance causing some water retention. I noticed in your diary that there are some days when your sodium is a little high. You aren't tracking your potassium at all. You have to balance your sodium and potassium to keep your water balance in check. Too much or too little of either sodium or potassium will cause water retention.

Do not fall for the common misconception that you can drink water to correct electrolyte imbalance. If anything, drinking excess water with an electrolyte imbalance will simply further deplete the already missing electrolyte.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Don't look at it as 11 lbs off in 3 weeks and none in the 4th - think of it as 11 lbs off in 4 weeks, an average of over 2.5 lbs per week.

Even if you know you're doing really well and think the weight should be falling off, sometimes your body just does what it wants/needs to do.

Stick with it and the results will come.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    It took me 6 weeks to get the scale to move at ALL when I started!! 6 weeks with ZERO weight loss!!! So, 11 lbs in 3 weeks rocks. As much as we hate to admit it, these weird & wacky bodies of ours do strange things from time to time. Adding weight after weeks of strict diet & exercise.....or the converse, dropping 2 lbs after a weekend of over indulging!! Neither makes much sense, but it did happen. Heck! I put on 2 lbs while training for a marathon. Clearly not what I was hoping for....but it happens. Hang in there. Hard work does pay off in the end.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    1-5 pounds can easily be water weight. Just drink more water and make sure you lower the sodium just a smidge for the next few days it should drop a bit. Also it might be time to mix up your workout a bit maybe some faster paced walking or even some jogging? I love the program Zombies run. It will start you off small and help you build over time. Also add weights in as soon as you can. It will drastically change how you look at the end for the better,
  • ODorisBrucken
    ODorisBrucken Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You may be building muscle, which weighs more then fat, notice any difference in how your clothes are fitting, looser? As for water retention, eating cantaloupe, melons can help flush out excess water. You're doing really well overall though!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    4 weeks? TOM perhaps?

OP is a male. That was my first thought until I poked around in his profile.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i can gain up to 8 pounds over night if i eat enough sodium... but then i lose it within a day or 2...
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel that MFP MAKES you weigh once a week... You can check in whenever you like, daily, weekly, monthly, never... your call! ;)
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    It's better to be pissed of than pissed on....How about that for wisdom?

Seriuosly though. Keep at it....sounds like you are doing great work. In the long run you will see results. Please keep in mind. This is not a diet or a program that you get on and then get off. It is life.

unless you are into that sort of thing in which case....not so much LOL