Pissed Off!

Options
2»

Replies

• vinny76063
    vinny76063 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i can gain up to 8 pounds over night if i eat enough sodium... but then i lose it within a day or 2...

Same here it happens all the time mainly during wknds. Don't get discouraged keep up the great work
  • hdyanneh
    Options
    Congrats on the 11 down. Just keep working on it. You will show a loss again soon. Its just not all going to come off as fast as those first 11.
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options
    Thanks again people, great information here... I am listening to every bit of it.. but so help me if I weigh in next week.. and more weight... AAARRGGHHHH! :-)
  • jkowula
    Options
    Why do you feel that MFP MAKES you weigh once a week... You can check in whenever you like, daily, weekly, monthly, never... your call! ;)

Let me rephrase that... doesn't make me... I just want consistent data. How do I know if I am improving or not if I don't measure against something...
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Thanks again people, great information here... I am listening to every bit of it.. but so help me if I weigh in next week.. and more weight... AAARRGGHHHH! :-)

That's when you look closer at your diary and make sure you are tracking as accurately as possible with your intake and your exercise and make minor adjustments. And be patient!

Edited to add: Take progress pictures and measurements as other ways to track your progress.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    4 weeks? TOM perhaps?

OP is a male. That was my first thought until I poked around in his profile.

oops!!!!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options

That's when you look closer at your diary and make sure you are tracking as accurately as possible with your intake and your exercise and make minor adjustments. And be patient!

Edited to add: Take progress pictures and measurements as other ways to track your progress.

Yeah this! I got a food scale on amazon really cheap. You will be amazed how often you are eating way more than you thought you were.
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Get on the scale everyday when you first get out of bed. After the bathroom break I might add. The point is - I once I started doing that I started to figure out things about my body - how it reacts to things such as salt - carbs - working out. All those things will make you go up and down. So while I did have to deal with those spikes I also got to see all of the low numbers and once I realized that the spikes were caused by reasons other than actual weight gain my mind relaxed and I didnt get upset anymore about the scale. The problem with once a week weigh-ins is if you wait an entire week but weigh in the day after you have a heavy carb meal - you are going to be disappointed when in fact all you are doing is retaining some water from that meal. Hope that helps - it worked for me.

Great job on the 11lbs lost - that is really good!!!
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Yeah this! I got a food scale on amazon really cheap. You will be amazed how often you are eating way more than you thought you were.

This!!! This guy here changed my life, for sixteen bucks:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E7AZQA/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, just be ready, you *will* have a 2-3 week period at some point that you don't loose. You will go crazy wondering what the problem is. Only thing you can do: be careful to keep measuring meticulously, and stay at a calorie deficit!! Then all of a sudden you wake up one morning, and an extra 1.5 pounds have disappeared. Then it happens again a couple days later. And sure enough, you're still averaging 1 pound per week.

Just focus on the mission and keep your eye on the prize!

Cheers.

Edited to fix quote
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Get on the scale everyday when you first get out of bed. After the bathroom break I might add. The point is - I once I started doing that I started to figure out things about my body - how it reacts to things such as salt - carbs - working out. All those things will make you go up and down. So while I did have to deal with those spikes I also got to see all of the low numbers and once I realized that the spikes were caused by reasons other than actual weight gain my mind relaxed and I didnt get upset anymore about the scale. The problem with once a week weigh-ins is if you wait an entire week but weigh in the day after you have a heavy carb meal - you are going to be disappointed when in fact all you are doing is retaining some water from that meal. Hope that helps - it worked for me.

Great job on the 11lbs lost - that is really good!!!

I strongly agree with this. I used to weigh once a week, and it drove me nuts, I felt like a week of work wasted. Once I started weighing every day, I didn't care if I gained 2 pounds: tomorrow is another chance to flush out the short-term water weight. gains
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks. Never thought of the sodium. I am staying committed to this, just didn't want to see the scale go the wrong way. That is so frustrating to me especially after working hard at this....

If you're eating at a reasonable deficit, the gain will never be fat.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    You may be building muscle, which weighs more then fat, notice any difference in how your clothes are fitting, looser? As for water retention, eating cantaloupe, melons can help flush out excess water. You're doing really well overall though!

No...just no.
  • Awesomers
    Awesomers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My first 4 weeks of exercise and calorie counting were super frustrating, because I did not lose a single pound. During week 5, though, I lost 7. Go figure. I don't expect to always lose weight, but I can feel a difference in my body (more muscular, happier, more well rested -- and that's after just 6 weeks!). I'm trying to focus on feeling great while measuring the changes by how my clothes fit. I won't judge my accomplishments based on the fluctuating scale. Good luck!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You may be building muscle, which weighs more then fat, notice any difference in how your clothes are fitting, looser? As for water retention, eating cantaloupe, melons can help flush out excess water. You're doing really well overall though!

No...just no.

Agreed. You don't just add muscle that way. Its a much slower process than storing fat. OP may have added a small amount of lean mass, but a significant gain isn't going to come from building muscle. Rapid gains are almost always water retention.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

You CAN'T build muscle on a deficit!!
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks. Never thought of the sodium. I am staying committed to this, just didn't want to see the scale go the wrong way. That is so frustrating to me especially after working hard at this....

Yep, I have the exact same reaction when it happens, and I should know better! Been at this for years. On friday, after a good week, I was up a pound. Today, 4 days later, down 3 :) But I threw a fit on Friday and ate everything in sight :( I can really be a doosh to myself ;)

I've lost 26 lbs in 43 days.
  • jkowula
    Options
    Ya pretty sure I am not adding muscle by walking and drinking more water... and more veggies...

as far as the weighing myself everyday thing, I have heard conflicting things on this.. do , don't do it.. I don't want to be a slave to the scale, just want to see results. This happens to me every time, and this is the critical point, where I have to move forward, and I am gong to.. but a few more frustrating weeks may tell a different story.

This is the first time I used the message boards though. I appreciate all your input.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel that MFP MAKES you weigh once a week... You can check in whenever you like, daily, weekly, monthly, never... your call! ;)

Let me rephrase that... doesn't make me... I just want consistent data. How do I know if I am improving or not if I don't measure against something...

Ahh I gotcha! I feel the exact same way. just wanted to be sure that you knew you didn't HAVE to do it if it makes you uncomfortable... or pissed off ;)
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely thinking water. Not only from maybe higher sodium, but you said you hit it extra hard this week in exercise and well, when you change what you are doing when you workout, your body gets sore and stores more water to repair the muscle. I'd say take it back to a normal level on exercise, keep watching your food, and move on. Losing over 11lbs. in 3 weeks is above the average, too, so you body might also have needed a small adjustment period. Either way, try not to get too frustrated and keep going.