Question about Weight Scales

Options
I went to the doctor yesterday, and weighed in at 271 pounds. Today, I weighed on my own bathroom scale, which is a Sunbeam brand, and it said 255 pounds. Really curious if my scale is not telling the truth lol...

Replies

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor yesterday, and weighed in at 271 pounds. Today, I weighed on my own bathroom scale, which is a Sunbeam brand, and it said 255 pounds. Really curious if my scale is not telling the truth lol...

Just go by one scale to track your weight loss, the doctors scale is obviously more accurate
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I'd say it is more likely that your scale is incorrect than the one at the doctor's office...
  • Natty2310
    Natty2310 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You need to make sure the scales are on a hard flat surface for it to get proper reading. And ensure it is calibrated properly!
    If this is all fine, then check on a different set of scales, maybe at a friend's house, or one's at a different doctors. See who's is the right reading :)
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I've seen the same digital scale give a reading 5 pounds different just based on the temperature of the room. They're temperamental. Your doctor's scale is obviously the most accurate (I assume it's one of those weighted scales).

Having said that, your weight is going to vary throughout the day, sometimes wildly. My own can fluctuate almost ten pounds, depending on what I'm doing. You really have to weigh yourself under identical conditions each time; like immediately after waking up.
  • piggyb73
    piggyb73 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I agree, use one scale. Place it on hard surface and weigh yourself at the same time each week. The one at the doctor is probably more accurate but if you use the same scale each week then you will have a better idea of actual results.
  • Magdaloonie
    Magdaloonie Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've seen the same digital scale give a reading 5 pounds different just based on the temperature of the room. They're temperamental. Your doctor's scale is obviously the most accurate (I assume it's one of those weighted scales).

Having said that, your weight is going to vary throughout the day, sometimes wildly. My own can fluctuate almost ten pounds, depending on what I'm doing. You really have to weigh yourself under identical conditions each time; like immediately after waking up.

I have never had a doctor weight me totally naked first thing in the morning. While their scales are more accurate, their conditions are not ideal. I was wearing very heavy rain boots one time, plus clothing plus a coat. Seriously 10+ lbs of gear!

So just use your own scale to track as the gentleman above said.
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Every time I've been weighed at the Dr's they ask my to remove heavy coats, shoes/boots ect first. Did your Dr have you do this at all?

My scales give a lot of different readings based on if I have them on a completely flat and level ground or if the ground is slightly tilted. I have to move them after each weigh in as my toddler picks them up and runs off with them lol
    However, I have found one space in the kitchen were they give the most accurate reading of 0.5 more than what the chemists scales up the road say.

I now weigh-in weekly at the local chemist wearing the same thing (just light exercise clothing), no shoes or coats ect and use this reading as the most accurate.

Editing because I forgot to add... I find chemist and doctors scales to be more accurate for the fact that if you wear the same thing at each weigh-in also, the scales are serviced often to make sure they are as accurate as possible. This is what I find anyway.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    My doctor's office does not have you remove anything. In fact you don't get a chance to remove anything. That can make a big difference in the Winter with heavy boots and coats.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

DR office scales always show more weight. You have your clothes and shoes on and have been up and around.

That said, an almost 20 pound diferrence is curious. Did you have heavy things in your pockets?
  • LazyRemo
    Options
    That is not always true, I go to my lapband doctor and they have a very nice scale there , and it is on a rug, and they will tell you it weights 4 lbs heavier, I have a very nice scale at home as well , I only weight myself in the morning, so it also depends on the time of day you way, and the type of clothes you have on. and if you ate or not.