Confused and frustrated about how much to eat

Options
I am really confused about how much I should be eating. I feel perfectly satisfied after about 1200 to 1400 calories a day, but receive alerts from the site that I am not eating enough, so I struggle to eat something small and dense, like nuts. I have a medical condition that leaves me not feeling very hungry or thirsty, usually. I have to take medication to get the stomach to undergo peristalsis.

I use a recumbent bicycle for about 20 minutes 5X a week, burning about 230 calories at a time (according to the monitor.) I also lift small weights (5 lbs) 3X a week to try and get some muscle.

I would appreciate some guidance on if the site's calorie estimator is accurate, and if so, what kinds of foods would be better to eat than what I am already taking in? I unfortunately cannot eat anything terribly high in fiber (beans and broccoli :noway: ).

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I would ignore the MFP plan and listen to your body and common sense. There is nothing unsafe about 1200-1400 calories per day.
  • donjessop
    Options
    If you want to confirm the calorie burn there are calculators at http://www.self.com/calculatorsprograms/calculators/caloriesburned/stationary_biking that will help. It is important to understand, however, that these numbers are averages. The average person when doing the exercise will expend that number of calories. None of us are average, however, so as the car dealers say "your mileage may vary". While "they" say to eat back all of your exercise calories, there are many people who only eat back a portion (50%?) of those calories so as to ensure that they stay under their calorie limit. If you are exercising strenuously it is important to consume 10g - 20g of protein approximately 30 - 60 minutes after that exercise in order to ensure the maximum benefit of the protein.

As for your diet, you need to bump up your protein intake. 0.36 grams per pound is the recommended daily allowance but if you are exercising then you should try to bump up your protein to between 25% (moderate exercising) to 35% (more intense exercising) of your calorie intake. This will probably radically change your food consumption pattern. High density protein sources such as chicken or some fish are probably more in line with what you need. (Over the winter months I will be researching and perfecting the ultimate slow cooker chili with lots of extra lean ground beef and minimal beans so I can give you recipe then. )

One of the key things to remember is that everyone is different and everyone will respond differently to different eating patterns and different exercise patterns. There are some commonalities (0.36 grams of protein per pound of weight as a minimum, drink water until your urine is clear or a light yellow, minimize added sugar) but other than that the path you are going on is your path. We can provide suggestions, but if/how it works for you is not something that we can predict. Trial and error is, unfortunately, the name of the game.
  • DeeDeeMee
    DeeDeeMee Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose weight, or gain it?
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? What have your results been so far and how long have you been at it for?

Also, I am very skeptical of burning 200+ calories in 20 minutes on the bike....I would venture a guess that it's probably about half that. Is it possible for you to increase your resistance training? 5lbs will only get you so far, even as a beginner and honestly you will not be gaining any muscle by using 5lb dumbbells and eating at a deficit.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I would ignore the MFP plan and listen to your body and common sense. There is nothing unsafe about 1200-1400 calories per day.

This after she said she has a medical condition that doesn't make her feel hunger... really? :noway:

Follow MFP. Just make sure you don't overestimate your exercise calories. Not eating enough is unhealthy, you should try to net more than your BMR.
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    MFP only warns that you're not eating enough if you eat less than 1200 calories. Not net. Eaten. So you're not eating 1200-1400 calories and getting that message.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options

This after she said she has a medical condition that doesn't make her feel hunger... really? :noway:

Follow MFP. Just make sure you don't overestimate your exercise calories. Not eating enough is unhealthy, you should try to net more than your BMR.

you get a hug for reading comprehension.... yay... high five
  • thread_baron
    thread_baron Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    donjessop: Thank you for the detailed answer. The chili sounds delightful. I think it could also be good with ground chicken, what do you think? It is just difficult to know if one is doing the right thing. I personally love salmon and could eat it every day.

DeeDeeMee: I am attempting to lose a little weight, in the neighborhood of 15-25 lbs.

VegasBaby04: My goals have had to change several times because of hospitalizations and general ill health from my medical condition. My goal right now is to build my body back to an "average" baseline. I gained some fat and lost some muscle after having to be in bed for several months. Last year I was too weak to even lift a handbag. If that is your picture, you look very strong. I went from a 3lb weight to a 5 lb in about 6 months and it was the best I could muster. I'm not sure of when I should step it up. Compared to last year, I can perform normal people functions (like carrying in groceries, taking the trash to the curb). I certainly don't believe I am burning 200+ calories on the bike at every go. Last night, it was rather strenuous.

Francl27: Thank you! This answered my question succinctly. Though I feel like a Christmas Goose having to eat so much, I certainly don't want to be unhealthy.

sunsetzen: I simply ate more after getting the message.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? What have your results been so far and how long have you been at it for?

Also, I am very skeptical of burning 200+ calories in 20 minutes on the bike....I would venture a guess that it's probably about half that. Is it possible for you to increase your resistance training? 5lbs will only get you so far, even as a beginner and honestly you will not be gaining any muscle by using 5lb dumbbells and eating at a deficit.
    Agreed on both points. I use a recumbent bike almost daily and have found that both the bike's and MFP's numbers are wildly overestimated. According to my Bodymedia, (and my own results), I burn anywhere from a third to a half of those estimates. And heavy lifting rocks.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    donjessop: Thank you for the detailed answer. The chili sounds delightful. I think it could also be good with ground chicken, what do you think? It is just difficult to know if one is doing the right thing. I personally love salmon and could eat it every day.

DeeDeeMee: I am attempting to lose a little weight, in the neighborhood of 15-25 lbs.

VegasBaby04: My goals have had to change several times because of hospitalizations and general ill health from my medical condition. My goal right now is to build my body back to an "average" baseline. I gained some fat and lost some muscle after having to be in bed for several months. Last year I was too weak to even lift a handbag. If that is your picture, you look very strong. I went from a 3lb weight to a 5 lb in about 6 months and it was the best I could muster. I'm not sure of when I should step it up. Compared to last year, I can perform normal people functions (like carrying in groceries, taking the trash to the curb). I certainly don't believe I am burning 200+ calories on the bike at every go. Last night, it was rather strenuous.

Francl27: Thank you! This answered my question succinctly. Though I feel like a Christmas Goose having to eat so much, I certainly don't want to be unhealthy.

sunsetzen: I simply ate more after getting the message.

So given this information, I would recommend that you not worry so much about creating a deficit for weight loss as much as just getting your body built up to a healthy state again. It sounds like you have been doing a great job of that and that you have come a long way, so great job :smile: I didn't mean to come across condescending regarding the weights....I'm sorry if that's the way it came across. Progressing from 3lbs to 5lbs is progress and given your medical situations you should be erring on the side of caution. What do you have your MFP weekly goal set to right now? I would set it to 1/2/week at a maximum. Yes you will have more calories to eat....and I realize that is difficult given your current situation, but perhaps you can fill some calories with shakes or liquids, rather than actually eating them. I mean clearly you would want to make those liquid calories nutritious, but perhaps its another thing to consider :)