Any Ideas for Replacing Comfort Eating?

Options
Much of my eating is done as a result of a comfort fix - kind of a food medication, or a "eating something will add to this moment" treat - for example, I'm having a bad day so I NEED to eat some ice cream, or I'm having a great day so I NEED to eat something good to celebrate. Are there any **cheap** ideas for replacing that need? Even food ideas that provide that comfort or special treat factor but aren't too bad? I just started thinking about this after it occurred to me that maybe I could get light hot chocolate to sip in the evenings for a reward and I was wondering what other reward ideas other people had.

Replies

• MsPitt
    MsPitt Posts: 78
    Options
    After a rough day you could always put on some great music and have a private little 10-15min dance party! :) Heck, that'd work for celebratory days too!
  • Jennweav
    Options
    I also have a similar problem. I binge eat between 7pm-10pm. I know its out of boredom or comfort, something. I was thinking about starting to chew gum when my cravings come about. It would keep my mouth busy at least :)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    i saved my money I would normally spend on junk...kept it in a jar so i could see it, and went out and bought a new sweater and a pair of jeans (because i'm one size smaller)...that seemed to work for me...
  • celeste2u
    Options
    I know that whole cliche about rice cakes and weight loss is drilled into all of our heads from the 80's and 90's, but it is so true. I LOVE the apple cinnamon rice crackers. They are so good, and not high in calories. I had two serving last night and I felt like I was having a "treat." They make several different flavors and I am pretty sure there are some drizzled in chocolate if you need that chocolate fix.

I hope that helps.
  • Jonatshaja
    Options
    I know that whole cliche about rice cakes and weight loss is drilled into all of our heads from the 80's and 90's, but it is so true. I LOVE the apple cinnamon rice crackers. They are so good, and not high in calories. I had two serving last night and I felt like I was having a "treat." They make several different flavors and I am pretty sure there are some drizzled in chocolate if you need that chocolate fix.

I hope that helps.

Yay!
  • skinnyminnie
    skinnyminnie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Oooo, these are great ideas! And all so different!! Love that! This is helping!
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I know that good work out helps me on those really bad, sad days. I am having a tough day today for a couple of reasons and can not wait to go to the gym to work off the sad feelings. Plus, after spending a couple of hours at the gym, I can eat some ice cream without feeling to guilty!
  • sallie46
    sallie46 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If I want crunchy-salty: baked lays tostitos and salsa!
    If I want cold and creamy: dreyer's ice cream sandwiches (140) or skinny cow
    If I want creamy-salty: hummus and baby carrots or bell pepper strips.
    Chocolate: Vitatops 100-calorie muffins or brownies; Fiber One bars (140)
    Salty.....100-calorie bags of popcorn!

There are tons of choices! ;-) No rice cakes for me (oh, except the 90-calorie caramel drizzled pack)....

GOOD LUCK everyone!
  • BellaCoconut
    Options
    Tea, tea, tea! :drinker: ......or if you don't like tea try a low cal hot chocolate or herbal tea....or just sipping water with a dash of lemon!

also ...i love the dance party idea!:happy:
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    i saved my money I would normally spend on junk...kept it in a jar so i could see it, and went out and bought a new sweater and a pair of jeans (because i'm one size smaller)...that seemed to work for me...
    This is great!!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    This is great!!

wasn't it your idea? lol
  • Kelly2708
    Options
    I have a huge sweet tooth so this whole diet thing is hard for me too. I also love to snack in the evening after the kids go to bed. I have found a bunch of snacks in the Fit and Active line. I have only found this brand at Aldi, but they are really good. Things like 100 calorie cookie snack oacks, devils food cookies, mini cupcakes. I still get to have my sweet fix, and most of these are about 100 calories. Hope this helps.
  • think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I started a blog. Something to do with my late night times. It helps process a bad day and it helps "celebrate" good days by sharing it with other people. It is journaling in a sense, but a public journal. It is very comforting.
  • skinnyminnie
    skinnyminnie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I hadn't thought of any of these, but now I want to:

1. Get a jar for my "splurge money"
    2. Write my feelings on a blog
    3. Make my own list of things to eat when I have a specific craving
    4. Hit the gym to process my feelings - that does work, and I always forget that when I'm feeling bad

It's really sweet for everyone to take the time out to think outside the box for me here, thank you all. :)
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I'm late to the party, but here goes anyways:

Ask yourself this question, and just think on it:

What makes me feel good that isn't eating? Then, do that. Mine are:

mani/pedis (I've taught myself how to do a passable one at home)
    a slow walk outside
    a hot bath
    quiet. Just turning off the TV, the computer and everything else and having five minutes of silence.

another trick is to "free journal" (this was on the advice of a therapist who specializes in emotional eating.) When the urge to emotionally eat hits, sit down and write three pages. Just fill the pages...don't worry too much about what you're writing. This helps you get really in touch with some stuff that's bugging you under the surface. I have been amazed at what's come up.

HTH.:flowerforyou:
  • Maggie1960
    Options

I love that idea, can I steal it?:flowerforyou:
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add an idea that a friend told me to try...

Baked pear, I guess it tastes like pie if you put a little brown sugar on top. It can replace the ice cream, I am going to try it tonight. I also really like the free journal idea! Now I just try to go to bed if I am feeling like I want to eat the whole house. :blushing:
  • SPSHLK73
    SPSHLK73 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When it comes to comfort eating I eat celery or carrot sticks. Pickles are low in calories too. As long as your jaw is moving you should be comforted.
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I recently found Sensible Portions Veggie straws at Sams Club. They taste like chips,are crunchy and are only 130 calories for 38 straws which is quite a helping. Low in fat also. They are my saving grace when I need a crunch fix. For sweets I recently bought desert gum by wrigleys. It tastes like Andes Mints and is 5 calories but takes the edge off the sweet tooth. Hope it helps.
  • Jennweav
    Options
    I also have a similar problem. I binge eat between 7pm-10pm. I know its out of boredom or comfort, something. I was thinking about starting to chew gum when my cravings come about. It would keep my mouth busy at least :)

Gum DOESN'T work...:happy: