plz help! trying to lose but gaining instead!!

Options
I have been working hard on this diet for almost 2 months now n have been pretty consistent in my weight lose. I usually will lose for a few day then have one day of slight gain n then go back to more weight loss.... i am eating lil over 1200 caloires a day and 1500 on days i work out. i have been pretty happy with my progress but for some reason that i cant understand is that i have been gaining weight back this week and i dont know how to get back into the losing weight. i am extremely confused and trying to do all the research i can to figure this out but im just more confused then ever. I really really really dont want to lose all this hard work!!!! plz help me with any advice u can. im so scared to relapse. thanks
50741304.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear and it's perfectly normal to gain a little sometimes. Could it be TOM? High sodium days? New exercise routine? Opening your diary would really help.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you're doing. One week does not warrant a freak out.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't count on DAILY weight fluctuations. This is normal. Your weight loss will not be linear. If you weight daily you need to stop as it is very obvious you can not handle the daily fluctuations. Pick one day per week and weigh yourself after you shower and use the bathroom in the morning. Don't look at the scale otherwise.

You are probably just experiencing a water retention from high sodium or a big meal, your diary is closed so at this point those are my guesses.
  • kittykat22459
    kittykat22459 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    no i have a few weeks till TOM. n have been limiing my salt. normaling i understand that a lil weight gain isnt a big deal im just worried cuz i havent changed anything to affect the weight loss.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear, like you saw in the last with losing most days and a slight increase some days.
    Weight Loss is like Time Travel with Doctor Who,it's all wibbly wobbly, but in the end if you stick with the method it will workout.

Let's see how many of the common answers I can get in this post....

-Are you drinking plenty of water?

-how is your sodium intake, some of us are more sensitive to water gain from sodium than others. (Cus we're special snowflakes, the ones made with salt that melt faster)

-lift weights if you don,t already

-if you are eating at a calorie deficit you are not gaining muscle (unless you have never really worked out before or we very overweight to start, is how it goes, I think)
    ** throwing that in for the 'you are gaining muscle, that' sway you weigh more" comments that follow

Are you weighing all your food on a scale? No, it is not needed to weigh every gram and particle all the time, but when weight loss gets stuck or goes in reverse, it,s often good to weigh every particle for a few weeks to see what really is getting eaten.

Ummm,m.... What other advice gets posted..

Oh yes, the consuming debate between "eat more" and "eat less", but that is utterly confusing sometimes.

And the "check your TDEE and even if you did in the past, if you have lost weight, refigure your new TDEE"
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i gain, i lose, i gain, i lose... not actual fat, just scale weight... its not a big deal...
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i actually have not lost weight in over a month... not even an ounce... BUT MY JOGGING PANTS ARE NOW FALLING OFF OF ME... so, the scale is not the final word!
  • MrsBingley
    Options
    I "gain" up to 5 lbs with pms. I can gain quite a bit if I hit the weights hard too. It's just water retention and I pee it out later.

Give it another week.

If you go several weeks without a loss, then I would reassess how you are measuring food.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If you really haven't changed anything - food, exercise, ordinary routine - then it's just a temporary plateau caused by water or waste retention. Don't worry about it.

Trendweight.com (or a site like it) is useful if you want to weigh yourself daily: it can help you filter out the daily fluctuations. For an explanation, see the chapter on "Signal and Noise" in John Walker, The Hacker's Diet (http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    natural body weight fluctuations are easily 2-5 Lbs either way...weight loss isn't a linear function, it is a general trend over a much longer period of time.

On Monday I was up 3 Lbs from my Friday weigh in...today I'm down 2 Lbs from yesterday...and so on and so forth...when I average everything out over the course of time, I'm basically maintaining my average weight of 183ish even though I have days that are around 186 and dip as low as 178 on occasion....it's all water and waste...I'm not gaining or losing that much fat in such a short amount of time. The same goes for losing...isn't linear.
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    If you are eating crap, don't.
  • NaoyukiTai
    NaoyukiTai Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i am eating lil over 1200 caloires a day and 1500 on days i work out. i have been pretty happy with my progress but for some reason that i cant understand is that i have been gaining weight back this week and i dont know how to get back into the losing weight. i am extremely confused and trying to do all the research i can to figure this out but im just more confused then ever.
    I really really really dont want to lose all this hard work!!!! plz help me with any advice u can. im so scared to relapse. thanks

If you are kind person to freak out by the scale, don't weigh every day. Do it only once a month.

If you want to step on the scale every day, understand the weight fluctuations are +/- 3lbs, depending on food, water and all the chemicals in your body.

If you have never worked out and started resistance training, you could gain muscle rather easily. There is a weight loss and fat loss. You do not want to lose weight by losing muscle ever. You want to GAIN muscle and LOSE fat.

I step on the scale every day and I don't care the weight, but pay attention to the fat%.
    Also, I only compare my weight against 1 months ago. If it's down, I'm happy. If not, I'll assess the situation.
    When I stopped losing weight, I implemented cheat day - eat more calories one day a week. That kicked my metabolism into higher gear and my body started losing weight again.

I am totally against eating less than BMR. That's how you lose muscle. If you want to stay 1,200 cals, make sure that the majority of cals are coming from protein. Looking at your ticker, you'd need at least 150g protein every day, if not more.

Most of all, only way to lose the hard work is to stop eating right food.