should I get a fitbit??

Options
I have been trying to do my research on fitbits as to if I should get one or not. Do you guys love your fitbits or do you think you could have spent your money on something else?

Replies

• PokerChris
    PokerChris Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Been wondering the same thing, so I'll be curious to see the replies.
  • Morganadk2
    Morganadk2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I tried the fitbitflex, I didn't like the wrist strap and it didn't do stairs,also I found it difficult to put in sleep mode, except when I was chopping veg!( it would go into sleep mode from the chopping) also the wrist band broke and they had to send me a new one , I'd only had it a couple of months..

The fitbit one was ok

I bought the withings pulse , it's good but again it does not do everything ( it does height , not stairs or floors)
  • veggiebuckeye
    veggiebuckeye Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I personally really enjoy my Fitbit. My wife and I bought a double pack of Fitbit Zips for 99.99. I think it was money well spent.
  • calsgirl18
    Options
    I have 2 fitbits. One zip and one flex. I have been wearing the zip since the beginning of the year and I love it! I just got the flex a few weeks ago (off ebay) and I like it. The zip is more accurate to me then the flex, but I just really like the flex to track my sleep. If I were to recommend one, I would say to get a zip or one. They may be more accurate.
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Just search for fitbit in the forum search here, there are quite a few threads already...
  • JADEPH0EN1X
    JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have just got a fitbit flex for my birthday ! I like it ! I agree with the fact that the wrist strap is a bit funny but I like the way your results are displayed ! I like the fact that it tells you , by vibrating , when you have done your 10000 steps ( got the shock of my life when it happened for the first time yesterday ( lol!)
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I bought the fitbit one. Loved it - though I was always curious about the accuracy. Decided to purchase a Bodymedia.
  • reteed
    reteed Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Absolutely LOVE my fitbit ultra! I use it along with MFP to track my activity and adjust my calorie consumption. It tells me I have x amount of calories still to burn that day in order to meet my goals.
  • biggjenn
    biggjenn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Fitbit. I feel nlaked without it. Often times I am apt to move more just to get more steps in because I know I'm being tracked. LOVE IT!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I love my FitBit One. I'd definitely buy this model again rather than one of the wrist straps. It's unobtrusive worn inside my bra, gives you a much better idea of your activity level and corrects your calorie goal here (if you sync your accounts) - and best of all - it's got me into the habit of walking every day (on top of my usual getting to work and back) to ensure I get extra calories. A lot of people don't realise that sedentary on here isn't inactive, for me it's around 2 miles, and if you don't walk enough FitBit will steal calories away from you with a negative adjustment so that you're still maintaining your deficit. This is all the incentive I need to get outdoors when I would rather slob out on the sofa!

If it's all day monitoring and incentive you want I heartily recommend it!
  • SkinnyMel78
    SkinnyMel78 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit. Keeps me motivated to move!!!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One and sync it to my iPhone.

To be honest, within about 2 weeks I was ready to return it. I'd heard people saying how motivating it was, that it made them work harder to get to that magical 10K steps a day. For me? Not so much. Which is strange because I tend to be fairly competitive and have been known to stay up into the wee hours of the morning to beat my own score in some video games.

But I stuck it out and I've found it to be useful.

I don't use it to get my TDEE or to count calories, I don't eat back my exercise calories, so I don't link it to MFP.

What it does do for me is keep me mindful, and that's huge for me. I don't get obsessive about reaching the magical 10K steps number but if I get lazy and don't want to go the the gym I check in with the Fitbit on my iPhone and if I've gone 8K steps I feel like I can take a day off. But if I've only gone 5K steps then I need to get my butt to the gym.

So, for me, it's not so much as a motivator but way to keep track of my daily activity level.

I use a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor when I do intentional cardio exercise, and I also use a simple iPhone app as a pedometer.

If I was to start over I'd be taking a look at the Polar Loop - it's supposed to do what both the Fibit One and the Polar FT4 do.
  • TaxPrepLiz
    TaxPrepLiz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Love my Fitbit Flex. As for it going into sleep mode, just wear it on your non-dominent hand. I have found it to be very accurate. Losing about a pound or so a week and only using Fitbit to track calories burned. I could probably lose more but I like to eat :bigsmile:
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I bought the fitbit one. Loved it - though I was always curious about the accuracy. Decided to purchase a Bodymedia.

And how does it compare? I looked at that but was put off by the ongoing subscription costs.
  • Vickiheiss
    Vickiheiss Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Love my Fitbit. I had the ultra and loved it but wore it on a boat trip where it got drenched and wouldn't work after that. Now I have the One and I like others have said feel naked without it. Keeps me motivated to get at least my minimum (15,000) amount of steps in per day and I always take the stairs rather than the elevator just so I get in my floors/ day!
  • JerseyGirlinTN
    JerseyGirlinTN Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have a Flex and honestly, I got tired of it and don't wear it anymore.

It was insightful and helpful to see what I was really burning and how much I was really moving, but it was uncomfortable to wear and I had a terrible time trying to charge it as it never sit properly in the charger.
  • EvyMetal
    Options
    I had been wanting a Fitbit Flex and was so happy I won one at work! I absolutely love it. It has really got me moving more and it syncs with MFP which is really great. There is no magic to it but it can be very motivating - at least it has been for me.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I've been curious as to how accurate the fitbit/fuel type setups are compared to the bodymedia.
    I have a bodymedia, and it feels accurate, as it jives perfectly with days I do a lot being higher numbers.
    It's tracking of sleeping could get a bit better, as it sometimes shows me as asleep with I am reading (But I do tend to zone out and be in my own world, and with a 50-54 BPM heart rate while sitting at my desk, I am sure it doesn't take much to be even lower).
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One and sync it to my iPhone.

To be honest, within about 2 weeks I was ready to return it. I'd heard people saying how motivating it was, that it made them work harder to get to that magical 10K steps a day. For me? Not so much. Which is strange because I tend to be fairly competitive and have been known to stay up into the wee hours of the morning to beat my own score in some video games.

But I stuck it out and I've found it to be useful.

I don't use it to get my TDEE or to count calories, I don't eat back my exercise calories, so I don't link it to MFP.

What it does do for me is keep me mindful, and that's huge for me. I don't get obsessive about reaching the magical 10K steps number but if I get lazy and don't want to go the the gym I check in with the Fitbit on my iPhone and if I've gone 8K steps I feel like I can take a day off. But if I've only gone 5K steps then I need to get my butt to the gym.

So, for me, it's not so much as a motivator but way to keep track of my daily activity level.

I use a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor when I do intentional cardio exercise, and I also use a simple iPhone app as a pedometer.

If I was to start over I'd be taking a look at the Polar Loop - it's supposed to do what both the Fibit One and the Polar FT4 do.

I was looking at the Polar Loop too, so that I can only wear ONE fitness tracker as opposed to the fitbit flex, the HRM strap and HRM watch that I currently have. But...I was bummed to see that it doesn't link to MFP. :ohwell:
  • Yetta729
    Yetta729 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love my FitBit One. I'd definitely buy this model again rather than one of the wrist straps. It's unobtrusive worn inside my bra, gives you a much better idea of your activity level and corrects your calorie goal here (if you sync your accounts) - and best of all - it's got me into the habit of walking every day (on top of my usual getting to work and back) to ensure I get extra calories. A lot of people don't realise that sedentary on here isn't inactive, for me it's around 2 miles, and if you don't walk enough FitBit will steal calories away from you with a negative adjustment so that you're still maintaining your deficit. This is all the incentive I need to get outdoors when I would rather slob out on the sofa!

If it's all day monitoring and incentive you want I heartily recommend it!

Everything she said, plus their customer service is excellent ...