Heart Rate Monitor, My new favorite tech toy

Options
I recently bought a Heart rate monitor. I have done my research, and got the one that would fit my needs. Since I want to lose weight, I want to make sure I'm in the fat burning zone, and then I add some interval training in there as well. My problems in the past, when I start a journey to lose weight, is that I'd jump in too fast, too hard and end up over doing it and then quitting. This time, I'm gonna do it right! It surprised me using my HRM that I was over doing it in the wrong zone.

Replies

• Livin4me1969
    Livin4me1969 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I have been meaning to look into getting one of those myself but there are so many to choose from and I am not sure which one would be best. Which one did you choose and what was the price range if you dont mind my asking?
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and I'm very happy with it.
    I found it for about $65 at http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/polar-ft4f-blue-h1.html?productid=polar-ft4f-blue-h1&channelid=FROOG&utm_source=CSEs&utm_medium=GoogleShopping&utm_campaign=heartratemonitorsusa&gclid=CMWij_v137oCFS8S7Aodb2sAkg

Like you, I've now found that I don't have to overdo the exercise, and so I'm much more likely to stick with it and much less likely to hurt myself.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    LOVE my Polar FT4!!!
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I asked my FL what they used and majority use Polar brand, brief internet searches also yielded that Polar had some of the better ones out there. Since I was a little skeptical about how much I'd like to use one, I bought a middle of the line one through Ebay. Once I did some review research, I narrowed mine down to the Polar FT7M. I have two complaints, one is that there is no back light on it so you can't view your burns if working out in the dark...running at night/early morning. That said, once you know where the buttons are at, you can easily pause/stop the workout (I hardly ever workout in the dark, not a biggie for me). The other thing that I wish it did is that I would love to see both my calorie burn and heart rate at same time, as it is, I can only view one or the other.

I bought mine via eBay for a very affordable $68.00.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    LOVE my Polar FT4!!!

SNAP!

I love my Polar FT4, too!
  • soulsnette
    soulsnette Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I really love my Polar FT4! I've had it a week and it's been great.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I have an older model Sportline Duo and it's great, even after years of abuse. It has a light on it and you can see your heart rate at the same time as your calorie burn. It uses a chest strap, but you can also do a quick heart rate check with a little sensor that they have (which can also be turned off if you want). I like it a lot.
  • sad0711
    sad0711 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also have a Polar FT4 and I love it. I now know how many calories I am burning instead of depending on this website or guessing.
  • comrade_questions
    comrade_questions Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    LOVE my Polar FT4!!!

Will second this! Love mine! Plus it syncs up with all the equipment at my gym so the machines display my HR.
  • mw7097
    mw7097 Posts: 10
    Options
    I bought the Polar H7 which connects via bluetooth to my iphone. I've only had it a few days, but so far so good, there is a learning curve though!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be staying in the fat burning zone. That is pretty outdated advice.

But, Polars are great. I have a few different ones. They work very well!