Good idea! Let's talk about cardio v weights again!!!

Options
So, based on my schedule (grad school, studying, work, other responsibilities), I find myself in the gym for 30 minutes anywhere between 3 and 5 times a week. Since I have started MFP (maybe September? I'm not sure... I'm on day 59 of my streak), I have done strictly cardio.

I am drawn to weight lifting because 1) when I was in undergrad I used to be a "personal trainer," for a class and I found it to be fun (but I also had HOURS to spend in the gym) and 2) I know that muscle will burn more calories than fat. If I broke up each 30 minute session into 15 min cardio/15 min weights (upper, lower, abs depending on the day) would it be worth it? Or do I need to change to 2 days weights, 1 day cardio (if I had my minimum of 3 days)?

Thoughts?

And if I do only cardio... does that make me skinny fat? I've literally never heard of that term until yesterday! :tongue:

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    My impression is that it won't make much difference because you won't be lifting heavy enough to really matter.

But in an ideal world, separating your lifting days from your cardio days will allow you to go harder during each, giving max effort each day. If you do both on the same day, in most cases whatever you do second will suffer.

And on a side note, if you know this has been discussed before, why are you posting again rather than simply reading the 1000s of posts already on this topic?
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    As my weight increased I had to sneak in cardio after my lifting or there was no way I could recover in time for my next lifting session. But it definitely impacted the quality of my workout.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I would say do a full 30 minutes of weights two days a week, then cardio the other (if you only get there 3 times). I think 30 minutes is sufficient to get a full workout if you do splits (1 day upper body, 1 lower), although it will probably be tight, but I don't think you could get much benefit from just 15. Same with cardio.

Just my opinion.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    My impression is that it won't make much difference because you won't be lifting heavy enough to really matter.

How do you know this? I'm confused.
  • rachaelbarton
    rachaelbarton Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I read an awesome article yesterday that cleared it up for me. It basically said that cardio makes you a smaller version of yourself, with all the existing strengths and weaknesses exposed. So if you have no muscle tone, it's going to show. The opposite also applies. I don't know about you but I'm not just going for a smaller version of myself here! :)
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I don't know, that's why I said it was my impression... It's what my gut is telling me reading between the lines of her post.

• teerae326
    teerae326 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am working the StrongLifts program for heavy lifting (and LOVING it!) Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I will usually jump on the trreadmill or elliptical for 15 minutes or so following the lifting. Tuesday, Thursday and possibly a weekend day, I work the Couch to 5K program for cardio. So far, it's working for me! I'm still losing weight but I feel good about what will be left over when I reach goal.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I would say do a full 30 minutes of weights two days a week, then cardio the other (if you only get there 3 times). I think 30 minutes is sufficient to get a full workout if you do splits (1 day upper body, 1 lower), although it will probably be tight, but I don't think you could get much benefit from just 15. Same with cardio.

Just my opinion.

Or 3X full body. It takes about that to do SL or SS
    You can add cardio on off days if you wish then
  • okgal247
    okgal247 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

But in an ideal world, separating your lifting days from your cardio days will allow you to go harder during each, giving max effort each day. If you do both on the same day, in most cases whatever you do second will suffer.

And on a side note, if you know this has been discussed before, why are you posting again rather than simply reading the 1000s of posts already on this topic?

Because I asked this exact question and no one answered me. This time, I tailored the question to my situation.

Thanks for the input.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

Just my opinion.

This sounds like a good idea, actually, if the OP is willing to consider the option of all 3 days being weights :smile:
  • okgal247
    Options

I don't know, that's why I said it was my impression... It's what my gut is telling me reading between the lines of her post.

Just curious, as well, where this came from- what impression have I given you 'in between the lines'? I'd like to know this so that I can make sure I come across as clear as I can, as my questions and statements in my original post stated exactly what I wanted them to- nothing more and nothing less. Also curious, how do you know what will be "heavy enough" for me?
  • okgal247
    Options

Just my opinion.

This sounds like a good idea, actually, if the OP is willing to consider the option of all 3 days being weights :smile:

I agree... full body sounds like a great idea, and I will definitely try the 3 days of only lifting (I have no intention of stopping my healthy life-style so I have plenty of time for trial and error!!!). Depending on whether I miss my running high- I may have to readjust, but I'm going to go in with a positive attitude :smile:

Thanks so much, every one, for the positive advice. It's so very appreciated! :bigsmile:
  • okgal247
    Options
    I read an awesome article yesterday that cleared it up for me. It basically said that cardio makes you a smaller version of yourself, with all the existing strengths and weaknesses exposed. So if you have no muscle tone, it's going to show. The opposite also applies. I don't know about you but I'm not just going for a smaller version of myself here! :)

I WANT ALL THE THINGS!!!!! Haha! :laugh:

This is very interesting, and I think I understand more. I would like to be a smaller version of myself, for sure, but I also don't want to be sickly looking... Verdict is in for me- most definitely will be balancing out the work outs.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Just curious, as well, where this came from. Also curious, how do you know what will be "heavy enough" for me?

The fact that you asked this question confirms my suspicions.
  • okgal247
    Options

Just curious, as well, where this came from. Also curious, how do you know what will be "heavy enough" for me?

I guess I was pointing out that you were being a little judgmental? Nonetheless, I thank you for your opinions.
  • okgal247
    Options

I guess I was pointing out that you were being a little judgmental? You do not know me, and you do not know what I am and am not capable of. Nonetheless, I thank you for your opinion(s).
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I guess I was pointing out that you were being a little judgmental? Nonetheless, I thank you for your opinions.

I'm not judging you... do whatever you want, as long as you aren't sitting on the couch, that's good by me.

But when talking about weights vs cardio, there's only a significant difference (for the average MFPer) if you're actually lifting heavy. The things you say and the questions you ask make me think you don't know what lifting heavy means or why it's beneficial.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    You do not know me, and you do not know what I am and am not capable of. Nonetheless, I thank you for your opinion(s).

You're right, I don't. So unless you want to provide that context when you ask questions, all I can do is make assumptions.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone said this because I didn't read all of the posts in between: Mix them up, make your weight lifting routine cardio in nature. Not that hard to do. Actually that is how I run all of my workouts.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options

Out of interest, is there any particular reason you feel the need to be a total *kitten* to her? Because, let's face it, you:

a) Came to the opinion that she wouldn't be lifting heavy enough apropos of absolutely nothing stated in her post
    and
    b) When she then, rightly, calls you on how on earth you came to that conclusion based on absolutely nothing you take her query as confirmation for the conclusions that you've concocted out of thin air

Op - if you've got 30 minutes I'd alternate a cardio day with a weights day.