Almond Milk

Options
Hey gang!
Just thought I would ask- what is your opinion on almond milk? im sure there has been a threat on it at some point but im relatively new to this whole forum thing! i gave into my impulse and bought a carton of unsweetened almond milk. im not lactose intolerant so cow's milk is all okay with me. but i just thought i might want to spice the things up..

so what are your thoughts on this?

good? bad? is it better than cow's milk? is it healthier?

thanks for all the replies!

Replies

• calsgirl18
    Options
    I really like almond milk. I started buying it because it made my protein shakes so much better. I have even ate it with cereal. I tried the unsweetened kind once and I didn't like it. The vanilla is really great!
  • dukesangel
    dukesangel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    LOVE almond milk. I started buying it years ago because I wanted to get calories down. I liked it so much that I quit drinking milk! Now I still use milk for baking and the like, but blech to actually just drinking a cup. Almond milk, for me, is delicious and low cal.
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    I LOVE almond milk and hate cow's milk. I use it in place of milk in nearly everything. I also love that it lasts forever in the frig since I don't use it a lot. It's so much lighter than soy and almonds are very good for you overall.
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Love it, but then I AM lactose intolerant so it's a great choice for me. I use the Silk unsweetened vanilla in my smoothie every morning.
  • monisiaczeq
    monisiaczeq Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies guys!

does anybody know how the two compare nutritional wise?
  • breanazank
    Options
    Love almond milk (unsweetened). Also really love hemp milk.
  • Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I love the stuff!! I have to watch my dairy intake so I cut out cow's milk altogether. I always try to buy the unsweetened kind - whether it's vanilla flavoured or not (although the vanilla is the best). I don't drink a glass just alone - i use it in my protein shakes, cooking, cereal, etc...

Usually I get the one with 30 cal/per cup - it's unsweetened and the taste is pretty good...
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I like it but the store brands have too many additives to it for me and end up giving me a stomach ache. I make my own and it actually tastes better.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i really love almond milk. unsweetened vanilla blue diamond brand makes me very happy. mmmm in cereal. in protein shakes.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is not made for human consumption. It is meant for baby almonds.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I recommend the Silk unsweetened almond milk to anyone I know who has ever done a low carb diet, or just in general. I prefer it in my protein shakes, it gives the creamy milk texture with only 30 calories in a cup as compared to 122 or so in 2% milk. It has calcium, but I think nutritionally speaking, I mean, I think milk has more vitamins and stuff. I prefer it on cereal as well, either vanilla unsweetened or regular unsweetened. The sweetened varieties can be too sweet sometimes.
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Love unsweetened almond milk which is 30 calories. Use it to make my protein drink with unflavoured protein powder along with some raspberries or strawberries.
  • jentaimes
    Options
    I just got some yesterday at the store to use with breakfast, I don't care for soy milk, and almond milk is a great substitute. The unsweetened is only 30 cals per cup, and I don't use that much anyways. Since cereal has a lot of sugars anyways, I couldn't really taste much of a difference using the almond milk.
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I LOVE almond milk and hate cow's milk. I use it in place of milk in nearly everything. I also love that it lasts forever in the frig since I don't use it a lot. It's so much lighter than soy and almonds are very good for you overall.

This for me as well. I like the vanilla better than the unsweetened.
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Love it, but then I AM lactose intolerant so it's a great choice for me. I use the Silk unsweetened vanilla in my smoothie every morning.

^^^ This!! It's about the only thing I can process lol
  • TinaLRoman
    TinaLRoman Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Love it. I make my own though, not the store bought stuff.
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is not made for human consumption. It is meant for baby almonds.

*laughs quite loudly* This just made my day....thank you :-)
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I love it, I buy the silk unsweetened vanilla. I mainly use it for protein shakes, and baking, cereal when I eat it.
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant so that's why I first started using it. I also use the unsweetened version. It is naaaaaasty on its own but on cereal its nice and the texture is just right!
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I like it but the store brands have too many additives to it for me and end up giving me a stomach ache. I make my own and it actually tastes better.

This could be because of the thickening agent called Carageenan, depending on what brand you were using. Silk is the only one I've found without it. It can cause stomach aches and can cause digestion to be disrupted. I LOVE almond milk, but the one who said to make it yourself was right, healthier for you. The nutrtitonal value is great as well! Cut out cows milk a year ago, I use almond milk for my smoothies and all! Love it!