10000+ steppers...

Options
I do not get anywhere near this number... what does a day of movement look like for you? Just looking for some pointers to up mine. :)

Replies

• Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I am probably not a good example, because I get a LOT of steps doing the regular chores around my house and property. But since I got my Fitbit, I've added quite a few. We have a treadmill at work, so I walk on it during lunch most days. I throw in a few more steps wherever I can. I'll go all the way down the hall and back when going to the restroom, or go up and down a few flights of stairs. Walk to a colleague's office instead of calling.
  • sandyz1977
    sandyz1977 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I wear a Fitbit and on days that I'm not actually exercising, I get between 9000 and 10,500 a day. On days that I actually do make an effort to get on the treadmill, it's about 13,000. I work a desk job so it is definitely possible to get over 10,000 a day!
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I also wear a fitbit flex, ,and I make little choices. Like parking farther away from the door when I go to the store...taking the stairs instead of the elevator, walking across the office to talk to someone instead of calling their phone. It adds up over time. I regularly get 10,000 a day and on days I run, I'm pushing 20,000
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    I just have a big house and 3 kids and get close to 10k/day. More if I run errands out or anything.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i work a desk job and sometimes will have hard time reaching it. i wear a flex. but on gym days. i always reach it. treadmill. biking (which doesnt count) but im pretty sure the eliptical beast might be counting some steps. but usually i have to go out and actually walk. which i did before A LOT. but now that i go to the gym its all indoors.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Most days I get around 5000 steps, even on exercise days but I work at a desk job and weight train more than do cardio stuff.

On days that I do not work out, I try to walk to work so I can get close to 10,000 steps. I also do what I can to walk more. I take stairs, park farther away than where I want to go, and sometimes walk back and forth at the grocery store even though I can go row by row to get my stuff.
  • duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    On days that I run or do Zumba (or both) I'm at 20k+ - I run about 4-5 mi and that's often a bit under the 10k. Even a short walk will boost up those steps, if thats all you have time for.

On strength days, where my steps are much lower, I'm rarely under 10k. Looks like this:

- Get up, do a couple Zumba songs to warm up, strength train at home with bodyweight/dumbells
    - Run around like idiot trying to get myself and 3 kids out of the house.
    - Park at public transport lot, walk down the stairs (5-6 flights), and park pretty far away from the staircase (don't go looking for a closer spot).
    - If there are stairs - walk up/down them, including escalators.
    - Walk to end of platform to get train, which then requires me to walk to the end of the platform to get to the right exit at the destination.
    - Walk to work - 2blocks
    - Go along for the walk if someone goes to get coffee/lunch. Coworkers are used to me not getting much, its cool, company's still nice.
    - Never combine trips. I got to the bathroom, then come back to desk. Go to get water, then go back, etc. If I want milk for my tea, I brew the tea, walk to kitchen, get milk, put in tea, walk back. Lots of little ways to get a bit of extra walking in.
    - Reverse trip for transport ride home.
    - Sometimes add a quick grocery or errand trip, parking in the back. Or Target. I can always go to Target.
    - Put the trash can in our kitchen far away, so every time we have to throw something out, we have to walk to it.
    - Run around like idiot trying to get three kids ready for bed.
    - Take ONE item up the stairs with me at a time. Want another item? Go downstairs and get it.
    - When putting clothes away, set out piles on floor in hall. Then take ONE STACK at a time and put in drawer. Go back to hall, take another stack.

Repeat. :) It's lots of going back and forth, which doesn't add a ton of time to the chore, but plenty of steps.
  • sandyz1977
    sandyz1977 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Collier, I want that 20,000 badge so bad! My highest was 17,000. I might make that my goal in the next few weeks!
  • Joanne_happygramma
    Joanne_happygramma Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I wish I could say I come close to 10,000 heck even 5,000 is a push for me. I do everything I can - from parking at the furthest parking lot, walking as much as possible, but I am tied to my desk, work in a very small office and have little or no time during the
    day. It's my struggle and I believe retirement will help (lol). Actually yesterday we went to Ikea and the gym and I only got to 8,000.
    I do wear a fitbit and I find that it compels me to do better than I would without it.
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    10-15 minute walk from T station to my office burns around 3000 steps. Just wandering around my house feeding cats and dog, putting away lunch dishes, changing out of office clothes, making dinner burns about 1000 steps. I'm truly disappointed that Fitbit does not count my 12 minutes of ellipitical steps. So, it is possible.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I've also got a desk job & use the same strategies others have mentioned. Get up and walk over to talk to someone instead of emailing or g-chatting them. Take a walk on break or lunch. Use the stairs. Park further away in the parking lot. Make a full lap around the store even if I only need one thing. And then course planned exercise (walks, runs, Zumba, etc.).
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job, but my parking garage is almost half a mile away, so I've got that. I also start my morning early (5am), do some weight lifting, and run 2-3 miles. This routine almost always gets me 10,000 steps. Throw in a quick grocery store run and I'm easily above 10,000 (but now with arms full of food). :)
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    A normal day of activity for me involves a lot of tidying up the house kind of stuff (four kids) and a couple errands. Without trying I can get 8000. Some nights I'll jog in place while watching tv or trot a loop through my house to get to 10K before bed.

edited to add: I habitually park at the back of all parking lots (unless it's raining or bitterly cold) to get in the extra steps, will go "the long way" to get to what I need in stores, etc. I will take out the trash instead of having my 11 year old do it (that used to be his chore, lol). While waiting for a movie to begin I will go up and own the theatre steps until the previews begin, if my kids are happily playing at the park I am walking laps around the playground, etc. I'm in the mindset of movement!
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I usually get 15,000 to 20,000 steps everyday except Sunday. I have a physical job though and it requires a lot of walking.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I average between 5-8K. Occasionally will make it to 10 or more (like last night - I went for a run after I lifted and that helped). I work a desk job and make it a point to get up to do the stairs (approximately 20 flights daily), and lift 4x weekly, so when I actually DO hit 10,000? I'm a happy girl. I suspect it will get better, as I'm running more.
  • Julie61ann
    Julie61ann Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job for 12 hour shifts SOOOO on work days I can't get my 10,000 in without a 3 mile walk/run so that's just what I have to do.

On days I don't work I don't even have to think about not getting my steps in, I always go way over (but come to think of it I don't ever sit down.)

Just as a motivator you may want to track your steps for a week and then try to always beat your previous week or find a friend to compete against.

Oh, I also NEVER watch tv in the evening except for Dancing With The Stars and even then I try to walk/jump on my rebounder while the show is on.

Good luck.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I do not get anywhere near this number... what does a day of movement look like for you? Just looking for some pointers to up mine. :)

I make it my goal each day with my fitbit. Here's how I get more steps.
    -I park on the far side of the building, meaning I walk further to get from my car to my office.
    -I walk to the next building over to drop things off instead of interoffice mail them.
    -My gym classes (cycling, step aerobics, kickboxing) usually register about 5000 steps in 45 min.
    -If I have time (I haven't lately :-( ) I walk the perimeter of the building I work in at least once.
    -I park three rows away from the entrance to the grocery store.

Don't laugh, but if I'm 500 steps away, I have been known to walk in circles around my dining room table or walk from the basement to the second floor a couple times to get that last amount in.
  • Laura741
    Laura741 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds videos and they get in a TON of walking. For the 5 mile walk that you can find online it's done in an hour and there's your 10000 right there.
  • clau_nectarina
    clau_nectarina Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have a 9-5 desk job, so I really have to work for my 10,000 steps. Mostly I have to:

1. Get a good 30-35 minute walk each morning (not a runner)
    2. Use 20-25 minutes of my lunch hour to walk
    3. Find a reason to walk around the office (go get water or coffee) at least once an hour.
    4. Keep moving in the afternoon; either go for a short walk, or pick up things around the house, go grocery shopping, walk while I cook or do any other chore...

If all else fails I'll use the treadmill before I go to bed.
  • KnitSewSpin
    KnitSewSpin Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am an at home mom with four kids and I get 12,000 average without exercise. I walk my dogs four to five times a week then I get closer to 20,000. In the summer I haul in the steps because I garden and we are so active. I wear my fitbit every day and I guess I keep really busy with my kids. I do use farther parking spaces and run a lot of errands too.