Baking cookies need help with substitutions

Options
Do we have any bakers around here? I love to bake cookies for my kids and my mom likes them as well. She is a diabetic so when I make the cookies I have started to use Sun Crystals instead of sugar. Also yesterday I baked some Peanut Butter cookies and the recipe called for 2 1/2 cups of flour so I used 1 cup of whole wheat flour and the rest white flour. Would it be a problem with my recipe if next time i use all whole wheat flour?

Also I use butter to make my cookies I know that is what makes them taste really good, but is there a substitute that I can use that will still make them taste good. The cookies came out to be about 140 calories per cookie with the changes I made.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Replies

• kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    :love: I LOVE BAKING!!!

My favorite substitutions are pumpkin and apple sauce in place of oil/butter in recipes! It added flavor and doesn't change the consistency much.

As far as ww flour goes, I find that if I use it in place of white flour for the entire recipe it ends up being dry and tasteless. Not sure if anyone else can help with that one. I usually replace about 1 cup myself.

Good Luck and have fun experimenting :drinker:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Instead of butter or oil, try applesauce. You can find it in different flavors, organic, and reduced sugar. Pick up a cinnamon applesauce & add some zing to the flavor.
  • MaryVoorhies
    Options
    if you sub totally with whole wheat flour you'll have to add something to keep them moist. extra oil, some apple sauce, a bit of shortning.
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    :love: I LOVE BAKING!!!

My favorite substitutions are pumpkin and apple sauce in place of oil/butter in recipes! It added flavor and doesn't change the consistency much.

As far as ww flour goes, I find that if I use it in place of white flour for the entire recipe it ends up being dry and tasteless. Not sure if anyone else can help with that one. I usually replace about 1 cup myself.

Good Luck and have fun experimenting :drinker:

Did not know that, I love pumpkin but my family not too much I will have to try apple sauce next time I bake cookies. If the recipe calls for 1 cup butter do you just put one cup of apple sauce? I will keep replacing only one cup of the white flour with the wheat. Do not want my cookies to be dry but also it makes them a little healthier.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    Instead of butter or oil, try applesauce. You can find it in different flavors, organic, and reduced sugar. Pick up a cinnamon applesauce & add some zing to the flavor.

Thanks going to try applesauce next time I have some at home and I usually buy the sugar free one.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    Do you still use regular sugar or do you substitute the sugar as well?
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I'm a diabetic & usually use a sugar substitute. You could also try other natural sugar sources like honey & agave nectar, which the body may process better than refined sugars.