Rest days - how important are they REALLY???

Options
So I have started walking/jogging/running on the treadmill - goal other than losing weight is to run my 1st ever 5k in May 2014. I am loving being on the treadmill and then a few floor exercises right after that I want to do it every day (let it be known I have only been at it 1.5 wks).

Tonight I am unable to get my work out in - therefore I do not think I will also hit my 10k steps today (FitBit user) - I am feeling guilty and nervous (I also have not seen any movement on the scale of measurements in the 1.5) that I do not want it to be a "rest day" though this day is kinda force because of commitments.

Please help me with explaining why I need a rest day – I know we do – but not the full WHY, also hearing it will help me not stress abt the rest day

Thank you

Replies

• danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    rest time lets your body repair the damage you do when you work out. Running doesn't cause as much damage as weights, but it's still good to have a couple days of recovery each week.
  • lkniebuehler
    Options
    rest time lets your body repair the damage you do when you work out. Running doesn't cause as much damage as weights, but it's still good to have a couple days of recovery each week.

Agree - rest time is so important.. at least 1 day out of 7. You need time for your muscles to repair, it helps prevent fatigue and injury from overuse.

You can still stay active on a rest day - just do something light - like a walk, swimming or biking - just keep it easy and relaxing - and then you can still get in your 10,000 steps!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    So I have started walking/jogging/running on the treadmill - goal other than losing weight is to run my 1st ever 5k in May 2014. I am loving being on the treadmill and then a few floor exercises right after that I want to do it every day (let it be known I have only been at it 1.5 wks).

Tonight I am unable to get my work out in - therefore I do not think I will also hit my 10k steps today (FitBit user) - I am feeling guilty and nervous (I also have not seen any movement on the scale of measurements in the 1.5) that I do not want it to be a "rest day" though this day is kinda force because of commitments.

Please help me with explaining why I need a rest day – I know we do – but not the full WHY, also hearing it will help me not stress abt the rest day

Thank you

No rest days can equal overtraining and in turn injury and those same injuries will put you out of action for far longer than if you have taken your rest days.

You may be okay and be training every single day for a few months and then one day, "it" will appear, that overtraining injury. They are a pain in the butt, interruption to your training and a damned nuisance, that could have so easily been avoided.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Rest is when your body repairs itself and your hormones regulate. Pushing hard and not allowing for proper recovery can cause adrenal fatigue and injury.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

Agree - rest time is so important.. at least 1 day out of 7. You need time for your muscles to repair, it helps prevent fatigue and injury from overuse.

You can still stay active on a rest day - just do something light - like a walk, swimming or biking - just keep it easy and relaxing - and then you can still get in your 10,000 steps!

This.

I move at least 45 minutes every day but a few days of my week are walking (with my mom) mixed in with a few days of HIIT and a few days of weights. The walking days are my "rest" days.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I find I need to be active each day. If I take a rest day, it turns into multiple rest days.

But I do make 1-2 of those days pretty light. Just a walk, or some rollerblading, or maybe some yoga. Something fun that won't be too strenuous.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Rest days become more important as the intensity of your workouts increase. Things like heavy lifting and HIIT put greater need on rest days than does low intensity steady state cardio. That doesn't mean they are unnecessary, just not as crucial, especially if you are getting enough sleep and giving your body enough calories.

On a side note, if the scale isn't moving then make sure your diet is where it should be and your expectations for what can happen and how fast it can happen are reasonable.

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Rest days become more important as the intensity of your workouts increase. Things like heavy lifting and HIIT put greater need on rest days than does low intensity steady state cardio. That doesn't mean they are unnecessary, just not as crucial, especially if you are getting enough sleep and giving your body enough calories.

On a side note, if the scale isn't moving then make sure your diet is where it should be and your expectations for what can happen and how fast it can happen are reasonable.

This.
  • ChristineLavi
    ChristineLavi Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    This is why I love MFP. Thank you all for your words - it has helped me to realize that a "rest" day does not mean sitting on my *kitten* and not doing anything - I can walk in place when I have an extra 15 mins - take the stairs and walk the long way to get something and if I have 30 mins before bed - does not mean I have to sit watching tv, I can walk on the treadmill watching TV.

I am learning the whole food intake again..

Just nervous that I have stopped before & gotten into "rest day - week - months" mode and do not want to fall back into that again..

Shows that thinking of things differently can help the journey - Like "rest" does not have to mean nothing.

THANK YOU
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I took two "rest" days this weekend and burned more calories in one day than I do on a normal work day with a workout (bodymedia Fit user). So, "rest" does not have to mean no activity. Keep yourself busy and you'll still be burning calories. If you have trouble with that, I have two kids I can send to your house to destroy it for you!