Exercise and colds

Options
Do you make yourself exercise when you have a cold?
Is it still beneficial or do more harm than good?

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    If I can get out of bed, I can go to the gym. I have found that getting a good sweat on shortens the duration of a cold. I had one last week and hit the gym twice and it was gone. Your mileage may vary.

Rigger
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    It depends on how I feel. If I can't get out of bed and my nose is so stuffed up I can't breathe then I will skip the gym for as long as I have to until I feel better.

With that said, however, if I am going to a public gym and not working out at home and I'm sneezing and coughing etc. then I'll skip it because I think it's really rude to go to a gym when you're snotting all over the place and infecting everyone around you.
  • tobirhae
    tobirhae Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I work out at home or in a small gym at work, so if I start to feel like I'm getting a cold I work out and try to sweat out the germs. Honestly, since I started working out regularly, I haven't really been sick, even with anything worse than a minor cold. So if I can physically do a work out, I'm going to.
  • kzivic
    kzivic Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    If I'm feeling up to it, I go. It helps clear my head and I feel like I'm doing some good sweating out the toxins. It may not be the best workout, but at least I did something instead of sitting home, wallowing in it.
  • janettebishop940
    Options
    Well... I better get off my bum then!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    If it's a head cold yes I will do some type of workout, if it is a chest cold then no, I rest and let my body heal.
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Nope, I will do some light exercise such as walking, but I do not put additional stress on my body when recovering from a cold. Lots of sleep and rest are the best way to quick recovery.

I think it is very rude to share your cold germs at a public gym. If you work out at home, up to you; if not, please have consideration for others and do not share your cold.
  • janettebishop940
    Options
    Agreed. It drives me mad when I take my kid to play group and there's a child there with snot running down their face.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Exercise is about making yourself better, not just punishing yourself. If you're sick and need rest, take it. If you decide to go out for a run and it's too tough due to the cold, take it easier, or go back home and get some rest. Keep it simple.

As for it helping... I doubt it, though it may make you "feel" better, which is good in it's own right.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Usually been said, as echoed in several comments here - from the neck up at whatever intensity feels alright, from the neck down needs rest.
    But that's not advice taking in to account already being under the stress of deficit eating.

So decide which stress you want, and which you can lessen.

Can't get rid of cold yet, so if you want the workout, eat at maintenance, give the body a fighting a chance.
    Or keep deficit and no workout.

It's interesting how the body will get what it needs, I've dragged a cold out way longer then it would have probably lasted otherwise because of training with scheduled race ahead. And certain sessions just could not be skipped. I know it impacted performance somewhat, but my goal was to finish decently, not to win, so I accepted the hit.

Agree with Frank, some light exercise may help open you up, but it better be light.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Do you make yourself exercise when you have a cold?
    Is it still beneficial or do more harm than good?

Ironically, the following happened to me just over a week ago:

I promised my eldest daughter than I would take her along to do her first parkrun event on the Saturday.

Come the Friday the day before, I felt that familiar tickle in my throat and said to my hubby "I am getting a cold". Wake up Saturday morning and there it was, a bloody cold.

Well I couldn't let my daughter down and I decided, to race on that cold, which I did.

All was okay, except for two factors, one minor, one that could have been major.... the minor factor was that I found it slightly more difficult to breathe when running and the major factor was that my HRM recorded my maximum heartrate as being 222 during that run. That is miles too high for an 18 year old let alone me, I am 52 and shouldn't get anywhere near that!!!

The upshot of it all was that although I felt fine that day, come the next morning, I felt absolutely terrible and ended up calling in sick to work and having to take a further three days off before returning.

I was eventually able to do my first training session back ten days after that run.

Just be careful, it can be a strain on your heart and lungs.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I always feel sketchy giving any kind of advice when it comes to illness, especially since it's hard for someone else to gauge the extent of your illness, etc. But that being said, I had a fairly heinous cold about two weeks ago and was googling on this same subject, found this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/25/health/nutrition/25best.html

After reading it, I decided to get off my butt and give it a try. I found that using the elliptical really helped clear up my sinus congestion and I felt worlds better. I also got over the cold in a couple days, instead of having it linger for a week as is usually the case for me.

So I'd recommend trying to work out, if its just a cold, but to keep a close eye on how you feel and not overdo it.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Please don't go to a gym if you're ill. I was running on a treadmill next to a man who was hacking and obviously sick with a cold. Guess who got sick the next day. ..? Some people have compromised immune systems and a simple cold can be a major ordeal.

Getting up and moving, however, may make you feel better. Tidy up around the house, see how you feel.

Hope you're well soon.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    Please don't go to a gym if you're ill.

This, too. I do most of my working out at home, so I didn't have to worry about contaminating anyone else, but common courtesy (and the rules of my gym) dictate not spreading that s*!& around.
  • janettebishop940
    Options
    Thanks. I hope I get well soon too!
    I don't go to the gym but if I did I wouldn't go with a cold. I worry about if the person before me has washed their hands whenever I use a supermarket trolley!
    Will exercising extra next week make up for overeating this week? Just this once? I feel better when I've eaten.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    From the Mayo Clinic:

Is it OK to exercise if I have a cold?

Answer
    from Edward R. Laskowski, M.D.

Mild to moderate physical activity is usually OK if you have a garden-variety cold and no fever. Exercise may even help you feel better by opening your nasal passages and temporarily relieving nasal congestion.

As a general guide for exercise and illness, consider this:

Exercise is usually OK if your signs and symptoms are all "above the neck" — symptoms you may have with a common cold, such as runny nose, nasal congestion, sneezing or minor sore throat. Consider reducing the intensity and length of your workout, though, or you may feel worse. Instead of going for a run, take a walk, for example.

Don't exercise if your signs and symptoms are "below the neck" — such as chest congestion, hacking cough or upset stomach.

Don't exercise if you have a fever, fatigue or widespread muscle aches.

Let your body be your guide. If you have a cold and feel miserable, take a break. Scaling back or taking a few days off from exercise when you're sick shouldn't affect your performance. Resume your normal workout routine gradually as you begin to feel better. And check with your doctor if you aren't sure if it's OK to exercise.

Remember if you do choose to exercise when you're sick, reduce the intensity and length of your workout. If you attempt to exercise at your normal intensity when you have more than a simple cold, you could risk more serious injury or illness.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym but if I did I wouldn't go with a cold. I worry about if the person before me has washed their hands whenever I use a supermarket trolley!
    Will exercising extra next week make up for overeating this week? Just this once? I feel better when I've eaten.

Your body may need the extra energy. It's a good sign that your appetite is healthy. Just get back to it next week or when you feel better.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

With your body spending extra energy fighting a cold - who says you are overeating this week?