Tabata

Options
Anyone ever try this? I have been thinking about it. I am not sure how often to do this or how many 4 minute "rounds" to do. Thanks.:wink:

Replies

• candiceh3
    Options
    4 minutes? Isn't that a bit long for tabata? That sounds like more traditional intervals to me :)

If you are new to exercising you might want to start with a more gentle form of HIIT, intervals. Run 1 min as fast as you can, walk 2 minutes. Repeat 10 times.

Over time you can reduce the rest periods from 2 minutes down to 30 seconds.

Have fun!
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Tabata is a great training regimen! It's quick and gets results. I do it often. Check out the article at the link below for some tips on Tabata routines. He also includes a method to slowly build up to the recommended 20-second work / 10-second rest method if you're new to it and not quite ready for the full 4 minutes of training. I really like this guy's site, and use many of his training protocols. Good luck!

http://nicktumminello.com/2010/02/six-new-tabata-workouts-for-fast-fat-loss-2/
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it.

I'm not an elite speed skater, I've not got the lab equipment and it's just a repeat of studies that were carried out in the '50s.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Here's an article on what people should know about 'tabata'

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/effects-of-moderate-intensity-endurance-and-high-intensity-intermittent-training-on-anaerobic-capacity-and-vo2-max.html

I'd love to know where the 'expert' in the link from a previous poster is getting his fat burning information from.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    You should only be able to do one four minute round. If you can do another, then you've not done it with the required intensity.

It should literally leave you in a heap on the floor. Obviously exercise selection is key because you need to go "all out" for 20 secs.
  • Kimbles67
    Kimbles67 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Do metafit - same "sort" of principle
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Do metafit - same "sort" of principle

Not really....

Tabata is a protocol for increasing V02Max in olympic speed skaters. It's 4 minutes long and balls-to-the-wall. By definition you can not do it for 30 minutes. I read on Metafit's site that their classes are HIIT and 30 minutes long.

Therefore:

Metafit == HIIT =/= Tabata.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    4 minutes? Isn't that a bit long for tabata? That sounds like more traditional intervals to me :)

If you are new to exercising you might want to start with a more gentle form of HIIT, intervals. Run 1 min as fast as you can, walk 2 minutes. Repeat 10 times.

Over time you can reduce the rest periods from 2 minutes down to 30 seconds.

Have fun!

Personally I would do this.

Most people who say they are following the Tabata Protocol are not. The sprints are 170% of VO2 max. To put that in context think of the hardest effort you can maintain when exercising, where you are almost falling over from exhaustion. Then try almost doubling it.

In reality very few people have suitable conditioning to even attempt it. As such a more suitable interval training structure is far better. Many people call that "HIIT" (but in reality what many people consider high intensity is more like moderate intensity but that is by the by....)
  • cathybing
    Options
    Thank you, everyone!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Once you have a solid aerobic base, it's a useful technique to throw into the mix once every week or two. It certainly doesn't replace lifting or L/MISS cardio or even intervals.
  • cathybing
    Options
    I am trying to add a bit of variety. I run 3-4 times a week and would like something to shake things up.
  • R_Bedard
    R_Bedard Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My trainer does it at the gym. I do 20sec of pushups full out, 10 sec rest 8 rounds. By the end if you pushed hard enough you should hurt!! Usually it feels like my muscles are trying to rip out of my arms. She also does 20 sec of jump squats, 10 sec squat hold. 8 rounds. Again, I am in pain.
  • candiceh3
    Options
    My trainer does it at the gym. I do 20sec of pushups full out, 10 sec rest 8 rounds. By the end if you pushed hard enough you should hurt!! Usually it feels like my muscles are trying to rip out of my arms. She also does 20 sec of jump squats, 10 sec squat hold. 8 rounds. Again, I am in pain.

I still find it hard to believe that is real tabata. Can push ups get your VO2 max to 170%
  • IronSmasher
    Options

I still find it hard to believe that is real tabata. Can push ups get your VO2 max to 170%

Tabata didn't test this, so...
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Tabata didn't test this, so...

It was an approximation which translated to 170% VO2max based on the 1997 study ( I originally put forward that figure hence the reason I am answering ;)
  • R_Bedard
    R_Bedard Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think we may all think of Tabata training as something different. This is what I consider tabata and what I also found online.

Any exercise can be incorporated into the Tabata training. However the basic outline of the Tabata training method are as follows:
    • 4 minutes long (whole Tabata Session)
    • 20 seconds of intense training
    • 10 seconds of rest
    • Total of 8 sessions or rounds
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    I think we may all think of Tabata training as something different. This is what I consider tabata and what I also found online.

Any exercise can be incorporated into the Tabata training. However the basic outline of the Tabata training method are as follows:
    • 4 minutes long (whole Tabata Session)
    • 20 seconds of intense training
    • 10 seconds of rest
    • Total of 8 sessions or rounds

If the mode of training doesn't have to be the same as in the experiments
    And therefore the intensity doesn't have to
    And apparently the people taking part, their physical ability and attributes no longer matter

Why on earth does the timing of the interval even matter?