"big boned"

Options

Replies

• Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    The wrist measuring is not flawed if you have bony wrists. I am very overweight but my ankles and wrists have bones sticking out on both sides of each. My wrist measures 7.25" around (again, bone to bone, no fat there) and my feet are size 11-12 medium width (not wide --- I have high insteps but my feet are not fat). I am 5'9" and BIG BONED.

But I also happen to be fat/overweight. The fact that I am big boned doesn't negate the fat, but it does inform my "goal weight" which will not be on the lower end of the scale.

Also, bone density can play a part. You really have to decide with your doc once you're close(r) to goal and know what you're dealing with, I think ...
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Bones are all basically the same size. Some people may have broader shoulders or wider hips, etc, but the bone sizes are basically the same. So all this talk about body type/shape is generally a load of crap, and most often used by people who are making excuses or trying to justify something.

Just focus on eating right and getting some exercise. It's impossible to know your ideal body weight until you get there. I've changed my ideal weight several times already and I'm within 20lbs of where I want to be. Then at some point I said the hell with a target body weight, I want to get leaner, stronger, and faster... the scale can read whatever it wants to.

This. And don't worry about your frame size. I always thought I have a large frame/was big boned and it was really just an excuse to stay fatter than I ought to be. Good luck!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    All the bones I played with in nursing school were about the same size.

That sounded really bad.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

That sounded really bad.

was your playing limited to the classroom?
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Different people's bones are not basically the same size. My husband is 6ft 5in, with a 48" inch chest and his bone structure is drastically different from mine, for example. He really is "big boned", though he's not carrying much fat at all. We have a 15-year-old son who is 6 ft 1 inch, but he's very lean, with my long slim fine-boned structure (even though I am carrying a bit of extra weight on it.) So there is such a thing as being 'big-boned" but I think it's often used incorrectly as an excuse for being overweight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Bones are all basically the same size. Some people may have broader shoulders or wider hips, etc, but the bone sizes are basically the same. So all this talk about body type/shape is generally a load of crap, and most often used by people who are making excuses or trying to justify something.

Just focus on eating right and getting some exercise. It's impossible to know your ideal body weight until you get there. I've changed my ideal weight several times already and I'm within 20lbs of where I want to be. Then at some point I said the hell with a target body weight, I want to get leaner, stronger, and faster... the scale can read whatever it wants to.

If all bones were the same size then how can they be wider or broader?? And how could one person be taller than another. Bones come in different sizes.

The second paragraph is pretty good advice though.

OP, if you are talking about your ideal healthy weight, then that too can be hard to nail down, but will have more to do with how much muscle vs fat you have for your height, than with your bone structure. That's why charts always have a range.
    Bones come in different lengths, but when you average out the circumference based on the frame, they are all pretty much equal in percentages. If I was 4" taller with the same frame, my bone circumference would slightly increase, but the percentages of circumference vs length would still be the same.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

That sounded really bad.

I really have a problem with this logic. There is no way that the femur of the OP (who is 5'2") is the same length and size of my femur (5'11.75").

Additionally, bones change over time. They shrink with the depletion of calcium.

Perhaps, the bones you were working with were all specimens of a similar age and height.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Options

That sounded really bad.

I really have a problem with this logic. There is no way that the femur of the OP (who is 5'2") is the same length and size of my femur (5'11.75").

Additionally, bones change over time. They shrink with the depletion of calcium.

Perhaps, the bones you were working with were all specimens of a similar age and height.

It could very well be, but I'm glad you took one sentence and ran away with it.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I am not too knowledgeable on bones.

But I would imagine if you were 2 ft tall you would have smaller length of bones than someone who was 6ft tall?

I would also imagine that some can have a larger frame than others?

Maybe the frame is what the OP is suggesting?

However, the coating (fat) that covers the frame is the thing that needs the overhaul.

Too much fat/weight is never a good thing and will cause you health problems.

Maybe OP you need to focus on losing weight, in your own best interests and forget about bone structure at this moment?

There are lots of people on MFP and support to help you with weight loss xx
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

That sounded really bad.

Well... several people had made the statement that bones are all the same. I'm just trying to get a grasp of the concept.

Didn't mean to single you out, but since you stated that you went to nursing school, I thought you might be able to help clarify.

Sorry if I offended you somehow looking for clarification.
  • SPPutnam
    SPPutnam Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have had 3 foot surgeries in the last 20 years. Each time the surgeon has commented to my family that they have never SEEN a larger bone structure on a human being. Yes, people are built differently. It is what you do with those differences that counts. No matter how large your bone structure, fat is fat! Aim for a healthy body fat % and set goals for inches lost not just pounds. In the end, the journey will increase your health regardless of what goals you achieve - just as long as you are moving FORWARD!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

If all bones were the same size then how can they be wider or broader?? And how could one person be taller than another. Bones come in different sizes.

The second paragraph is pretty good advice though.

OP, if you are talking about your ideal healthy weight, then that too can be hard to nail down, but will have more to do with how much muscle vs fat you have for your height, than with your bone structure. That's why charts always have a range.
    Bones come in different lengths, but when you average out the circumference based on the frame, they are all pretty much equal in percentages. If I was 4" taller with the same frame, my bone circumference would slightly increase, but the percentages of circumference vs length would still be the same.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

But if you were 4" taller your ideal weight would likely be higher so I don't really see how that is pertinent. While frame width may not change a healthy weight much if height is the same, that doesn't make bones all the same size.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Nobody puts on 30 pounds of bone.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Options

That sounded really bad.

Well... several people had made the statement that bones are all the same. I'm just trying to get a grasp of the concept.

Didn't mean to single you out, but since you stated that you went to nursing school, I thought you might be able to help clarify.

Sorry if I offended you somehow looking for clarification.

It's cool

They were literally stuffed into a box in a desk. I have no idea where they came from.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Nobody puts on 30 pounds of bone.

My lil doggie would if I let him chow down on it :laugh:
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Now that I think of it... can't you measure the size of your joints with a fat caliper and look that up on a chart to determine frame size? Rings a bell.
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Reminds of the old meme... Patient: "The problem doctor, is that obesity runs in our family." Doctor: "No, the problem is that no one runs in your family."
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Are some of you suggesting that everyone of the same height should be the same weight, though? Or just that muscle is the only difference? A larger structure will have to have larger muscles to reach, you'd think, so it seems like there would have to be more muscles, tendons, skin, etc. by nature of a wider structure.

In the end, BF% works best, I think, because lean mass will include those things that a larger structure could entail. Weight and height is not nearly as good a measure, because there are a lot of structural differences (including muscle, but not limited to that).
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty clear that some people have a more substantial "frame" than others, but that's something that can't really be ascertained unless the person is within a "normal" BMI range. And it can vary quite a bit. You can have a delicate torso, but sturdy legs, or vice versa. I have a small rib cage, but my hips stick out and my shoulders are not terribly narrow. I also have rather substantial arms and legs, even though I'm thin. You have the skeleton you have, and it's not going to be just like anyone else's. The bottom line is it shouldn't make a difference in your weight loss goals. Lose the weight you think you need to lose, and then reassess your goal when you're at that weight. You may decide to lose more, maintain, or even gain a few pounds and maintain that weight. But it's not something you have to know before you start or before you choose a weight goal.
  • Wannabeslim2811
    Options
    Coming from an overweight family and being overweight for as long as I can remember My dad was 6' and weighed 350ish pounds My mom is 5'2 300ish I have poor eating habits since childhood (parent always gave food to keep us busy/quiet) even poorer cooking habits. Im not really an over eater I used to be an emotional eater but not so much now that I am older. My first question is about certain body builds such as you hear people say all the time "big boned" I'm trying to figure out how to determine my for ideal body weight I am built more like my dad than my mom. I am 5'3 about 281 pounds so pretty close to my mom but I am smaller than her she wears a 28 where I where a 22 I also know it comes down to body shape as well such as she has a flat butt and I have a bubble butt lol and my shoulder are wider than hers. Thoughts??

I think you can measure whether you're 'big boned' by measuring your wrist. If it's over 6.5'' you're a large frame, 6.25 to 6.5 medium and 6.25 small. Frame size definitely makes a huge difference. My younger sister is currently a UK size 6 (a US size 2) and she weighs 144lbs. At 130lbs she was a size 0. When I weighed 196lbs, at 5ft 7, I still wore the exact same dress size as my best friend, who at 5ft 2, was 154lbs. Over 40lbs difference and yet we wore the same size and used to borrow each other's clothes. Body shape makes a huge difference, I think from a health perspective as well. If you're an 'apple' shape and carry weight on your tummy, you're far more at risk for metabolic disease. BMI charts are fundamentally inaccurate in that they do not account for denser bone mass, more/less evenly distributed body fat in women, frame or muscle mass. From a health perspective, there is an argument that hip to waist ratio is a more indicative of risk - if the hip to waist ratio is less than 1 (I think I can't remember offhand) the risk of obesity related disease is drastically reduced.