Coffee-aholic!!

I always seem to go over my daily intake for Sugar all the time!!!! And while I can blame it on the fruits that I eat (didn't really know bananas had so much SUGAR in them)... I have to be honest and contribute it to my 2 cups a day of coffee.

As much as I want to stop drinking coffee 2 times a day, i find myself plagued with headaches and lethargy around 2. I have NO energy whatsoever. And I have a 2nd job which really makes it harder to not enjoy a cup before I go from one job to another.

Has anyone had any success in stopping their coffee addiction... or is this really an addiction at all since 2 cups a day is very minimal?

Replies

• GRUNO
    GRUNO Posts: 98
    Caffeine withdrawal can cause headaches so it's possible that's your problem. However, I think it's more likely that you need a snack and more water. I get headaches when I'm even slightly dehydrated. Try eating a piece for fruit, some nuts and a big glass of water in place of the coffee.

That said, I like my coffee and I'd just continue to have it. But, I just get a non-sweetened latte--espresso and 1% milk. If you can get away from the sweetened coffee, I don't see any reason to not have 1 or 2 cups a day.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    I've given up a lot of things but I will never give up my coffee! I use sugar free creamer, and splenda so no sugar in it for me. The whole idea for me is to make my diet work with my life.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    I always seem to go over my daily intake for Sugar all the time!!!! And while I can blame it on the fruits that I eat (didn't really know bananas had so much SUGAR in them)... I have to be honest and contribute it to my 2 cups a day of coffee.

As much as I want to stop drinking coffee 2 times a day, i find myself plagued with headaches and lethargy around 2. I have NO energy whatsoever. And I have a 2nd job which really makes it harder to not enjoy a cup before I go from one job to another.

Has anyone had any success in stopping their coffee addiction... or is this really an addiction at all since 2 cups a day is very minimal?

Drink your coffee black then you don't have to worry about going over a likely meaningless sugar "ceiling "
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    I drink 2 cups a day and usually do 6 tsp. of pure cane sugar at 15 Calories a tsp.. so I tend to fit it in just fine... There is No Way I give up my coffee someone would get hurt..... lol
  • flywithgeorge
    flywithgeorge Posts: 62 Member
    I love my coffee so much that I'm not going to give it up.. period :) With that said, I did realize that the calories I was adding with sweetened creamer were considerable so I began to experient with different ones... I now use 2 tablespoons of Fat-Free Italian Sweet Cream liquid creamer and really like it! Only 30 calories per tablespoon.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    2 cups is very minimal. I will never give up my coffee addiction minimum of 12 cups a day but I drink it black so don't have to worry about it. If you enjoy 2 cups of coffee with sugar then make it fit in your daily calorie goals and enjoy them.

Also unless you have a medical reason that you need to monitor your sugar I wouldn't worry about it. I don't track my sugar at all.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member

Drink your coffee black then you don't have to worry about going over a likely meaningless sugar "ceiling "

This. What happens if you go over your arbitrary sugar limit? It's not going to keep you from losing weight, assuming you eat within your calorie limit.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Try reducing the amount of sugar and cream you're adding little by little, until you can definitely tell a difference. I used to just splash cream in mine, but now I use an actual measuring spoon, and find I can use a lot less and still have the flavor I want. I also use Splenda, but reduced that from 2 packets down to 1.

Edit: Oops, didn't read it good enough. There's nothing wrong with moderation. And at best, the headaches will last a week. If you're really wanting to kick the habit, take a couple of tylenol, go to bed a little earlier, and wait it out.