Eggs and cholesterol. Weird blood results.

Options

Replies

• AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Idiots, I see lots of misleading and harmful information in this thread. I'm not sure where to start.

The people doctor bashing are ignorant of the medical field. The numbers are set by the medical community to help communicate medical conditions on charts to coworkers across the field be it a Nurse, Doctor, Pharmacist or health insurance companies. Your doctor is only following protocol and informing you of your condition because he has a legal obligation to do so. If he doesn't tell you your numbers and something happens, he can be sued and maybe lose his license. So he has a legal obligation to inform you. Visit any other doctor and they will tell you the same.

Now, is your cholesterol level anything to be worried about? That is what you should have asked your doctor and he would have most likely said no since you are young. Normally, there has to be more than one risk factor involved for you to worry. Each risk factor raises your level of a heart attack in the next 10 years by a percentage, I believe it is 15? I don't remember. Age, smoking, HDL levels, diabetes, and obesity are all separate risk factors. The more you have, the higher your chances of having a heart attack in 10 years. Having a risk factor does not guarantee that you will have a heart attack, it only gives you an idea of your chances. I can't be clear on that enough. It does not guarantee a heart attack, it only raises your chances! If you had been obese, 30 pounds over weight, and high cholesterol then you should worry as those are two risk factors. If you are a smoker and have high cholesterol, then you can worry. Had you been over the age of 45 with high cholesterol, then you can worry. Low HDL and high cholesterol also counts as two risk factors, which is another way of saying horrible ratios. Get the idea?

The notion that medication can be the cause of high cholesterol, does not mean it is okay to have high cholesterol. That's a very dump assumption I see being made. High cholesterol is still a risk factor.

Is eating three eggs causing your cholesterols levels to rise? Most likely yes. I see idiots in this thread spreading harmful information on this subject. I can't stress enough how getting this type of information from the laymen on MFP, who does not have a clear accurate whole picture, can put your health in danger with you in the hospital. The idea that for every single man, women, and child on planet earth can eat as much whole eggs and red meat as they want without rising cholesterol levels is misleading and inaccurate information. There are people in this world who can not eat as much carbs as they want because they are diabetic, if the did, they'd be in the hospital. There are also people in this world who can not eat nuts, doing so would put them in the hospital. Just as there are people who must regulate their carbs, or those who can't eat nuts, there are people in this world who can not and should not constantly shove high cholesterol foods down their throats because they will see a constant rise in cholesterol levels. The idea that eating whole eggs doesn't raise cholesterol levels only applies for 80% of the population. The other 20% will see a constant rise and this is why the information is being misinterpreted and being very dangerously misleading.

How do you know if you fall within the 20%? Change your diet and get a lipid blood panel test.

You're spending a lot of time what idiots participants in this thread are. You're also talking a lot about what the doctor should have said. Then you blast "getting this information from laymen."

Are you a physician? Presumably you are not a "layman" because you just said getting this sort of info from a layman is stupid.

I wouldnt even trust what I said. She should get her information from her doctor.
  • JosieB2014
    Options
    Idiots, I see lots of misleading and harmful information in this thread. I'm not sure where to start.

The people doctor bashing are ignorant of the medical field. The numbers are set by the medical community to help communicate medical conditions on charts to coworkers across the field be it a Nurse, Doctor, Pharmacist or health insurance companies. Your doctor is only following protocol and informing you of your condition because he has a legal obligation to do so. If he doesn't tell you your numbers and something happens, he can be sued and maybe lose his license. So he has a legal obligation to inform you. Visit any other doctor and they will tell you the same.

Now, is your cholesterol level anything to be worried about? That is what you should have asked your doctor and he would have most likely said no since you are young. Normally, there has to be more than one risk factor involved for you to worry. Each risk factor raises your level of a heart attack in the next 10 years by a percentage, I believe it is 15? I don't remember. Age, smoking, HDL levels, diabetes, and obesity are all separate risk factors. The more you have, the higher your chances of having a heart attack in 10 years. Having a risk factor does not guarantee that you will have a heart attack, it only gives you an idea of your chances. I can't be clear on that enough. It does not guarantee a heart attack, it only raises your chances! If you had been obese, 30 pounds over weight, and high cholesterol then you should worry as those are two risk factors. If you are a smoker and have high cholesterol, then you can worry. Had you been over the age of 45 with high cholesterol, then you can worry. Low HDL and high cholesterol also counts as two risk factors, which is another way of saying horrible ratios. Get the idea?

The notion that medication can be the cause of high cholesterol, does not mean it is okay to have high cholesterol. That's a very dump assumption I see being made. High cholesterol is still a risk factor.

Is eating three eggs causing your cholesterols levels to rise? Most likely yes. I see idiots in this thread spreading harmful information on this subject. I can't stress enough how getting this type of information from the laymen on MFP, who does not have a clear accurate whole picture, can put your health in danger with you in the hospital. The idea that for every single man, women, and child on planet earth can eat as much whole eggs and red meat as they want without rising cholesterol levels is misleading and inaccurate information. There are people in this world who can not eat as much carbs as they want because they are diabetic, if the did, they'd be in the hospital. There are also people in this world who can not eat nuts, doing so would put them in the hospital. Just as there are people who must regulate their carbs, or those who can't eat nuts, there are people in this world who can not and should not constantly shove high cholesterol foods down their throats because they will see a constant rise in cholesterol levels. The idea that eating whole eggs doesn't raise cholesterol levels only applies for 80% of the population. The other 20% will see a constant rise and this is why the information is being misinterpreted and being very dangerously misleading.

How do you know if you fall within the 20%? Change your diet and get a lipid blood panel test.

You're spending a lot of time what idiots participants in this thread are. You're also talking a lot about what the doctor should have said. Then you blast "getting this information from laymen."

Are you a physician? Presumably you are not a "layman" because you just said getting this sort of info from a layman is stupid.

I wouldnt even trust what I said. She should get her information from her doctor.

SHE is in the thread. Originally I was just asking for people's theories, I'm not taking this information for gospel. I understand my doctor was just telling me the numbers, but that's all he did. He didn't explain what they meant, and I believe it's
    His duty to do so. I asked him what may effect it other than meds, and he didn't even ask about family history! Straight away he asked me to weigh myself, whether I exercise or eat butter, and it was all pretty evident before he asked me. I feel as though these questions are designed for fat, middle aged men and there Has not been enough research into young people with unusual readings. Some Gp's are really falling below par, and it is really disappointing.

But yeah, this is no more than theory and speculation :)
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

The doctor bashing people are ignorant of the medical field. The numbers are set by the medical community to help communicate medical conditions on charts to coworkers across the field be it a Nurse, Doctor, Pharmacist or health insurance companies. Your doctor is only following protocol and informing you of your condition because he has a legal obligation to do so. If he doesn't tell you your numbers and something happens, he can be sued and maybe lose his license. So he has a legal obligation to inform you. Visit any other doctor and they will tell you the same.

There is something called evidence based practice in the medical field. We are taught to think for ourselves by taking new information based off of studies.
    They have to meet criteria and BSN nurses have taken a basic class to interpret them.
    1. who was the population
    2. effects on the body.
    3. Can the study be replicated?

Eggs for 20+ years have been found to improve serum cholesterol. I did a presentation on it for class. There is alot of old information circulating in the medical field that hasnt been updated. We are currently discussing why people are so reluctant to move onto evidence based practice. The magnet hospitals are the ones that are willing to do such a thing, but that is only in the hospital setting.

Another example of things changing is that they found that weight training offers cardioprotective effects along with blood sugar control over a period of time.
    No one is bashing the doctor from what I saw, but from my personal experience some doctors look at the overall big picture rather than nit picking nutrition, same goes with nurses. They have lives and have to focus on other things, however seminars and changing education is key to getting doctors to change their views
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    He's not worried about you because you only have one risk factor, meaning you are 21, not a smoker, and not obese. That's what I was trying to explain above. You don't have to worry unless your single only cholesterol level is "abnormal cholesterol". Abnormal means higher than "high cholesterol". If you want to see how cholesterol impacts our levels and be 100% sure about it, cut out the eggs and red meat and than do a lipid blood panel test. That is the only sure fire way you will know how it impacts you levels. YOUR LEVELS, not some research someone read somewhere in some random paper.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

The doctor bashing people are ignorant of the medical field. The numbers are set by the medical community to help communicate medical conditions on charts to coworkers across the field be it a Nurse, Doctor, Pharmacist or health insurance companies. Your doctor is only following protocol and informing you of your condition because he has a legal obligation to do so. If he doesn't tell you your numbers and something happens, he can be sued and maybe lose his license. So he has a legal obligation to inform you. Visit any other doctor and they will tell you the same.

There is something called evidence based practice in the medical field. We are taught to think for ourselves by taking new information based off of studies.
    They have to meet criteria and BSN nurses have taken a basic class to interpret them.
    2. effects on the body.

Eggs for 20+ years have been found to improve serum cholesterol. I did a presentation on it for class. There is alot of old information circulating in the medical field that hasnt been updated. We are currently discussing why people are so reluctant to move onto evidence based practice. The magnet hospitals are the ones that are willing to do such a thing, but that is only in the hospital setting.

Another example of things changing is that they found that weight training offers cardioprotective effects along with blood sugar control over a period of time.
    No one is bashing the doctor from what I saw, but from my personal experience some doctors look at the overall big picture rather than nit picking nutrition, same goes with nurses. They have lives and have to focus on other things, however seminars and changing education is key to getting doctors to change their views

And you are misreading that information because it does not apply to every single human in the entire world. I am a prime example, eating 15 whole eggs a week and 2 pounds of red meat. Ended up with 260 LDL and 338 total cholesterol after a lipid panel test.
  • DatMurse
    Options

2. effects on the body.

And you are misreading that information because it does not apply to every single human in the entire world. I am a prime example, eating 15 whole eggs a week and 2 pounds of red meat. Ended up with 260 LDL and 338 total cholesterol after a lipid panel test.
    Now are you on a hypercaloric diet? Are you overweight? this has been a replicable study in many populations
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm confused.

200 is borderline high. I've never heard of someone being a 7.

To address the egg issue, my cholesterol used to be 200. For the last... quite a few.... months, I've eaten 3 whole eggs for breakfast almost every single day. My cholesterol is now 165.

Edit to add more information: I also workout regularly now - something I didn't do when my cholesterol was 200. I eat cleaner than I used to, but still not where I'd like it to be. And although my total cholesterol and bad cholesterol are in a good range, my good cholesterol was flagged for being on the low side. So while eggs may not be a miracle food, they certainly aren't evil like the media wants you to believe.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    I was on a deficit at the time, ketogenic diet, and losing weight. I feel your research might be incomplete. I'm assuming you've heard of Lyle McDonald? There's a free link to his book on high fat diets below. That's one of the places where I got my information from that only 80% of the population can handle high fat diets, ketogenic in my case. I also have 5 pharmacist and a doctor in my family that i speak to with regularly, and they've all been taught that eggs can contribute to higher cholesterol levels.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CC8QFjAB&url=http://aaron.emascc.com/diet/ebooks/Lyle_McDonald_-_The_Ketogenic_Diet.pdf&ei=1pyCUoK8BeP72QWpooGgBQ&usg=AFQjCNG-v1Ej-_pi6zYzj65KNkuA2Oyeew&bvm=bv.56146854,d.b2I&cad=rjt
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

2. effects on the body.

I didn't see any Dr. bashing. Anyway after changing my diet while increasing my egg and animal protein my HDL went from 65 to just over 100 and my LDL dropped just below 100.........my total cholesterol did go up, so yeah, eating eggs did increase my cholesterol.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    Good for you but you missed my point. It doesn't work the same for everyone and i wish i could eat as much whole eggs and red meat as I want but I can not. Assuming it is the same for next person is ignorant. The only sure fire way to know if it works is to get a lipid blood panel test, not information from MFP.

• JosieB2014
    Options
    He's not worried about you because you only have one risk factor, meaning you are 21, not a smoker, and not obese. That's what I was trying to explain above. You don't have to worry unless your single only cholesterol level is "abnormal cholesterol". Abnormal means higher than "high cholesterol". If you want to see how cholesterol impacts our levels and be 100% sure about it, cut out the eggs and red meat and than do a lipid blood panel test. That is the only sure fire way you will know how it impacts you levels. YOUR LEVELS, not some research someone read somewhere in some random paper.

It would be interesting to do the above and see how my results differ.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Good for you but you missed my point. It doesn't work the same for everyone and i wish i could at as much whole eggs and red meat as I want but I can not. Assuming it is the same for next person is ignorant and the only sure fire way to know if it works is to get a lipid blood panel test, not information from MFP.
    Your a hyperresponder. That in and of itself doesn't mean that adding eggs was derogatory, in fact it may have improved your ratio, also I believe we're here to discuss nutritional subjects otherwise why have a forum, and disclaimers about medical information is fairly clear. Maybe relax a touch.

EDIT: to add

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/133/4/1036.long
  • JosieB2014
    Options
    I've just bought some omega 3 tablets, so hopefully they help out and I can continue with my treatment!:happy:
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Protein rich diets are no doubt going to put your liver under a lot of strain. If you have any questions just Google it. A couple of years ago, I was in a similar situation, and my gp was ready with the prescription. I panicked, and within a couple of months with some serious dietry changes my cholesterol showed up normal. If I can do it, anyone can. Good luck!
  • DatMurse
    Options
    I was on a deficit at the time, ketogenic diet, and losing weight. I feel your research might be incomplete. I'm assuming you've heard of Lyle McDonald? There's a free link to his book on high fat diets below. That's one of the places where I got my information from that only 80% of the population can handle high fat diets, ketogenic in my case. I also have 5 pharmacist and a doctor in my family that i speak to with regularly, and they've all been taught that eggs can contribute to higher cholesterol levels.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CC8QFjAB&url=http://aaron.emascc.com/diet/ebooks/Lyle_McDonald_-_The_Ketogenic_Diet.pdf&ei=1pyCUoK8BeP72QWpooGgBQ&usg=AFQjCNG-v1Ej-_pi6zYzj65KNkuA2Oyeew&bvm=bv.56146854,d.b2I&cad=rjt

eggs with lipid lowering drugs
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22778967

eggs within the normal population improving serum cholesterol
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16340654

dietary cholesterol and eggs in a energy restricted diet
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18726564

Eggs in people with a carbohydrate restricted diet and that were under daily caloric usage
    http://jn.nutrition.org/content/138/2/272.short

Egg consume in calorie controlled type 2 diabetics improved blood sugar and lipid panel
    http://journals.cambridge.org/download.php?file=/BJN/BJN105_04/S0007114510003983a.pdf&code=912ac5f7ed4168ba8a9e7b504bdd5319

Analysis of the original bad egg study
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/75/2/333.full

Meta-analysis of dietary cholesterol on affects of serum cholesterol
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/55/6/1060.short

Do you know the original study that made them believe the dietary cholesterol was not properly done?
    On top of that, the study that stated saturated fat is bad was not properly interpreted?

Pharmacists do not focus on nutrition as much as people think. Many healthcare providers still believe that dietary cholesterol plays an important role, where it truly only affects 15% of your total cholesterol.

Now there are people who have hypercholesterolemia, but its not common.

But you still havent answered my question on your weight.

There are many people who have consumed eggs while being hypercaloric. Anything you consume while being hypercaloric for a period of time will cause problems. Many of it is correlational studies
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I've just bought some omega 3 tablets, so hopefully they help out and I can continue with my treatment!:happy:

Doubtful. Supplements aren't the answer to everything.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Good for you but you missed my point. It doesn't work the same for everyone and i wish i could eat as much whole eggs and red meat as I want but I can not. Assuming it is the same for next person is ignorant. The only sure fire way to know if it works is to get a lipid blood panel test, not information from MFP.

there is a difference between taking advice from MFP without proper references and one with evidence based studies.
  • JosieB2014
    Options
    Protein rich diets are no doubt going to put your liver under a lot of strain. If you have any questions just Google it. A couple of years ago, I was in a similar situation, and my gp was ready with the prescription. I panicked, and within a couple of months with some serious dietry changes my cholesterol showed up normal. If I can do it, anyone can. Good luck!

Ahhhhh... I've been downing over 100g protein every day due to high intensity training, and taking l carnitine..
  • DatMurse
    Options

protein rich diets put your liver under strain if you have liver problems, not for the healthy.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    Studies are great but how do they apply to each individual on a case by case basis is much different. Which is why I stressed getting a lipid blood panel. My weight at the time was 186 pounds with those cholesterol levels. I am now 170. My height is 5'8.