Boiled chicken

Options
Anyone have ideas as to what to add to my chicken when I put it in the crockpot with water? It is bland and I would like to try something to give it a little flavor!

Replies

• jmspies_wechanged
    Options
    I would cook it in chicken broth. Also I have cooked it with salsa and shredded it
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Salt, garlic, onion, and maybe some mint/basil/marjoram
  • vabheegaard
    Options
    Rosemary, thyme and Badia complete
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Sautee onions and garlic and add to the crock pot, plus raw celery and carrots. Then add some whole or cracked peppercorns and a bay leaf or two. I don't salt until the very end.

If I am making broth and going to be straining it anyways-- sometimes I save my kale stalks and clean potato skins to add to boost the nutritional makeup of the broth or stock.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Beer
    Rotel Tomatoes
    vegetables and broth

Can I ask why you are just boiling the chicken in the crockpot with water? Are you using the chicken for other recipes?
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Onion, carrot, celery, thyme, rosemary and parsley and half a teaspoon of vegetable stock powder. The chicken will be delicious and you have a clear soup as well.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    :yawn: I don't understand why anyone would just slow cook chicken and water. Save your crock pot and roast it in the over for 30 minutes at 375 with EVOO and shred. Assuming you aren't doing a whole chicken.

If you are tied to the crockpot method: salsa/canned tomatoes, broth (you'd be surprised what beef broth and chicken taste like), garlic+onion, various seasonings (fresh/dried herbs - sage is great with chicken). Greek yogurt.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Boiled chicken?

eww_shivers.gif

Dip chicken in batter with salt and pepper, trade water for peanut oil then turn up the heat. : )
  • jmspies_wechanged
    Options
    There are many other wonderful ways to cook chicken besides in just water. Look on some crock pot cooking sites that might also help
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Rotel tomatoes or
    Canned tomatoes, if Rotel are too spicy

Put onion, garlic, salt, pepper, italian seasoning, or seasonings of your choice on the chicken breasts in the crock pot. Add a can of chicken broth, then cook.

When cooked, you can shred the chicken and use it for tacos, enchiladas, plain for on salads, etc.
  • 2bassets
    2bassets Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I dice up the chicken and use it on salads along with cottage cheese, craisins and chow mein noodles.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Onion, crushed garlic cloves, bay leaves, peppercorns. I add this to every crock pot full of chicken, no matter what I plan to do with the actual meat itself.

Kitchen Basics makes an unsalted chicken stock, perhaps try half water and half stock for a little more boost in flavor.
  • LeighRaeW
    LeighRaeW Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Add soy sauce or hot sauce to the water, maybe. Adding some Indian spices or some curry paste should give it a nice flavor.
    Alternatively, put some boned, skinned chicken between 2 large pieces of cling wrap and bash it out thin with a rolling pin, then grill, BBQ, griddle or dry fry it.
    You can always add flavorings after cooking. A half teaspoon of curry paste and fat free yogurt is very tasty (I use this for fish).
  • 2bassets
    Options
    Onion, crushed garlic cloves, bay leaves, peppercorns. I add this to every crock pot full of chicken, no matter what I plan to do with the actual meat itself.

Kitchen Basics makes an unsalted chicken stock, perhaps try half water and half stock for a little more boost in flavor.

That sounds like a great idea adding unsalted chicken stock or the onions, garlic, etc. Thank you!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    You're welcome! I used to work midnights, so the crock pot was my bestest friend for about a decade :)
  • 2bassets
    Options

I did the chicken broth this weekend and the chicken is so moist and smells wonderful!
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

I did the chicken broth this weekend and the chicken is so moist and smells wonderful!

McCormicks also makes some grill marinades (Backyard Brew), I throw these in with it, and dice it up and add it to my salads. Gives the chicken some flavor and changes the dynamics of my salad!
  • 2bassets
    Options

McCormicks also makes some grill marinades (Backyard Brew), I throw these in with it, and dice it up and add it to my salads. Gives the chicken some flavor and changes the dynamics of my salad!

Sounds great! Thank you for the idea!