Which lifting program would you recommend?

Options
oops. I just hijacked another thread with this question, so instead I'll ask here....

I want to start a strength training routine and looked into 5x5, 5-3-1 and New Rules of Lifting. But I have bad knees and can't do squats. I've never come across a squat modifier so which program would you think I could physically do?

I'm currently training 3x week doing cardio for 30 minutes and circuit training for 20 min. I just want to take myself to the next level with lifting...

Thoughts?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    How long have you been lifting? what does your 3x week routine look like currently? What are your goals (more specifically than "going to the next level")?
  • star5785
    star5785 Posts: 140
    Options
    Hi Jackson :smile: I don't lift at all. I do circuits consisting of stuff like burpees, mountain climbers, ski jumps etc....think Insanity.

eta : my goal is to be cut & trim my bodyfat
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I would suggest starting with body weight squats. I have bad knees as well but I still do my squats. The more I do the less painful everything becomes.

Have you doctors told you not to squat?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I'm not familiar with New Rules, so take my advice with that context.

Of the popular boxed programs, I'd start with starting strength. It's a bit more of a beginner's program (though stronglifts will certainly work for most beginners as well). You can certainly modify the squat portion of the programming based on how bad your knees are.
  • star5785
    Options
    I'm not familiar with New Rules, so take my advice with that context.

Of the popular boxed programs, I'd start with starting strength. It's a bit more of a beginner's program (though stronglifts will certainly work for most beginners as well). You can certainly modify the squat portion of the programming based on how bad your knees are.

Thanks!! I'm just now starting to hear about "starting strength" so I'll definitely check it out.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Just do Stronglifts. 3 times per week, 30 minutes a go. MY BF% has dropped by 4% in the three weeks I've been doing it.

It's simple to remember, easy to track and has definite results.
  • Leaping_Lemur
    Leaping_Lemur Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've had tendonitis/arthritis problems in one knee. I started doing box squats maybe two months ago (to get the form right), then started doing dumbbell squats a few weeks ago. No problems so far. I'm thinking of moving on to proper squats in a while (maybe after I've raised my weight a bit on the goblet squats), but I want to get a personal trainer first to make sure my form doesn't suck.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Starting strength is a good book, with a TON of detail on the big 4 lifts.

Program wise, while Stronglifts is 5 sets of 5 reps, Starting Strength is 3 sets of 5 reps.

Also Stronglifts has you doing barbell rows, where Starting Strength has you doing power cleans. Power cleans are an advanced movement that honestly I don't think any beginner should be doing, it's a very technical lift.

The value in Starting Strength for me has been the info in the book. I like SL 5x5 more otherwise.

Regarding New Rules... I believe it's a "must buy" for any woman who is looking to start lifting. The info about lifting and eating in there is great, and it also gives you details on the big 4 lifts. The program on the other hand is more convoluted that I think it needs to be, but if you like it and find it compelling, it's fine too.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    I've had tendonitis/arthritis problems in one knee. I started doing box squats maybe two months ago (to get the form right), then started doing dumbbell squats a few weeks ago. No problems so far. I'm thinking of moving on to proper squats in a while (maybe after I've raised my weight a bit on the goblet squats), but I want to get a personal trainer first to make sure my form doesn't suck.

I would be careful with personal trainers. Often times they give crappy advice. I would setup your cellphone to tape yourself, and read Starting Strength or watch "so you think you can squat" on YouTube for some pointers.
  • star5785
    Options
    Starting strength is a good book, with a TON of detail on the big 4 lifts.

Program wise, while Stronglifts is 5 sets of 5 reps, Starting Strength is 3 sets of 5 reps.

Also Stronglifts has you doing barbell rows, where Starting Strength has you doing power cleans. Power cleans are an advanced movement that honestly I don't think any beginner should be doing, it's a very technical lift.

The value in Starting Strength for me has been the info in the book. I like SL 5x5 more otherwise.

Regarding New Rules... I believe it's a "must buy" for any woman who is looking to start lifting. The info about lifting and eating in there is great, and it also gives you details on the big 4 lifts. The program on the other hand is more convoluted that I think it needs to be, but if you like it and find it compelling, it's fine too.

Thank you, this is very helpful!! I think these three programs will be my starting point and if I cut back on the cardio (running on the treadmill) my knees may be able to handle more of the squats.
  • chantey16
    chantey16 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Just to point out...unless the doctor has told you not to squat, I would seriously consider giving it a try. I have bad knees too...it's very strange, but I tried to do bodyweight squats and they KILLED my knees. I gave up on trying squats for a very long time, then I decided to randomly give a proper squat (with a barbell on my back), a go...and to my surprise I could do it without being in excruciating pain.

It still hurts sometimes during the squat but it is a very bearable pain. I had a severe pain in my knee for almost a year before I started doing weighted squats, and now its finally getting better. For instance, I could not do a lunge without my knee literally collapsing on me, but I've been giving it a go everytime I go to the gym for the past few months, and I can now do lunges aswell :) I guess weight lifting is theraputic on the knees in some way :) Good luck!
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you a couple of months ago, trying to decide which program to follow. I bought New Rules, read it and was planning on following it. I researched StrongLifts and Starting Strength and ended up going with StrongLifts. Like FrnkLft said, I felt like New Rules was a little complicated, for me personally. I wanted something simple that I could learn and stick with. I've read some excerpts from Starting Strength and watch Rippetoe's videos on YouTube to help with my form. You can download SL for free and he also has videos you can watch. Mehdi is very male-oriented, but I overlook most of that sort of stuff. :smile: There's a SL for Women group and they're very helpful and supportive.

Good luck with whatever program you decide on. I'm already seeing results and have found out I love lifting, squats especially. if you learn the proper form, you might be surprised at how your knees will react.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    also... mark rippetoe has some very good youtube vids on squat technique. when done correctly, there should be very little strain in your knees.
  • star5785
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you a couple of months ago, trying to decide which program to follow. I bought New Rules, read it and was planning on following it. I researched StrongLifts and Starting Strength and ended up going with StrongLifts. Like FrnkLft said, I felt like New Rules was a little complicated, for me personally. I wanted something simple that I could learn and stick with. I've read some excerpts from Starting Strength and watch Rippetoe's videos on YouTube to help with my form. You can download SL for free and he also has videos you can watch. Mehdi is very male-oriented, but I overlook most of that sort of stuff. :smile: There's a SL for Women group and they're very helpful and supportive.

Good luck with whatever program you decide on. I'm already seeing results and have found out I love lifting, squats especially. if you learn the proper form, you might be surprised at how your knees will react.

Thanks for sharing your experience :smile: This gives me hope!
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing your experience :smile: This gives me hope!

Glad I could help! And, did I mention I'm 57? :smile:
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    So what is it about squats that hurt your knees? I've found when I do them to parallel or just below, my knees actually feel better.
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I have just started lifting, unfortunately super weak so need to do some accessory work to build up my strength in general while working toward the big lifts. I am doing the Starting Strength program, which is very similar to Strong Lifts. I also borrowed a friends NROLFW and read that, but like others have said seems a bit over the top with the complexity of workouts. The other programs can let you go for months before changing things up.

I would have thought that burpees would be far higher impact on your knees than squats, so if you can safely do those without pain, and you look at proper squat technique (whichever squats you chose) you should be fine.
    Good Luck!
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Could you strap your knees for squats? Box Squat?
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    Could you strap your knees for squats? Box Squat?

I read somewhere that knee wraps might actually hurt your knees. Don't recall why, but it's worth googling. I would start without any assistance and try to make it work that way.