Eggs and cholesterol. Weird blood results.

Options
1235»

Replies

• DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Studies are great but how do they apply to each individual on a case by case basis is much different. Which is why I stressed getting a lipid blood panel. My weight at the time was 186 pounds with those cholesterol levels. I am now 170. My height is 5'8.

Because studies are the baseline for our general knowledge. Cholesterol levels can vary week by week. People have this idea that they are a special snowflake and their body functions different than the average person, which in most cases.... it doesnt...
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I have to watch my cholesterol and the cardio doc said only 3 eggs a week. So I've had to find other things to eat. turkey sausage, greek yogurt, fruits, veggies, low fat cheeses. Whole grain cereals.
    Oh watch animal fats, I cut them all as much as possible lean meats or chicken and fish.. Nuts have healthy fats, I use olive oil, and there are other oils that you can use but I've not tried is coconut oil.

Good luck.

My doctor once told me quite the opposite and my dad's cardiologist has him on a high fat, high cholesterol way of eating and our cholesterol is now well within the normal range.

I eat multiple eggs every day and the more I eat, the lower my cholesterol actually goes.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Accutane raises cholesterol, not a thing you can do about it unless you stop taking accutane. Close thread now.

Even for being on roaccutane, the number is rather high.
    Yeah hey I also took accutane ages ago and my cholesterol skyrocketed to "you're going to die tomorrow" levels while I was on it. So stop pooing your pants over it.
  • JosieB2014
    Options
    Accutane raises cholesterol, not a thing you can do about it unless you stop taking accutane. Close thread now.

Yeah hey I also took accutane ages ago and my cholesterol skyrocketed to "you're going to die tomorrow" levels while I was on it. So stop pooing your pants over it.

Did they keep you on it?
  • ksuh999
    Options

Did they keep you on it?
    Yes, but it was a fairly short dosage time (3 months), so they weren't too concerned.

Accutane totally screws up your body's production of cholesterol, really the only way to get it down is to stop taking it.
  • JosieB2014
    Options

Did they keep you on it?
    Yes, but it was a fairly short dosage time (3 months), so they weren't too concerned.

Accutane totally screws up your body's production of cholesterol, really the only way to get it down is to stop taking it.

Thanks for the insight :)
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I was on a deficit at the time, ketogenic diet, and losing weight. I feel your research might be incomplete. I'm assuming you've heard of Lyle McDonald? There's a free link to his book on high fat diets below. That's one of the places where I got my information from that only 80% of the population can handle high fat diets, ketogenic in my case. I also have 5 pharmacist and a doctor in my family that i speak to with regularly, and they've all been taught that eggs can contribute to higher cholesterol levels.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CC8QFjAB&url=http://aaron.emascc.com/diet/ebooks/Lyle_McDonald_-_The_Ketogenic_Diet.pdf&ei=1pyCUoK8BeP72QWpooGgBQ&usg=AFQjCNG-v1Ej-_pi6zYzj65KNkuA2Oyeew&bvm=bv.56146854,d.b2I&cad=rjt

I was always taught, in nursing school that eggs raise cholesterol as well. That's because one egg has enough cholesterol in the yolk to meet your daily recommended requirement for the entire day, and most people eat more than one egg in one sitting, and eat them several times per week. Also, eggs are in pasta, pastries, and there's also cholesterol in many other foods. However, there have been more research studies done more recently, which show that the cholesterol in eggs is actually HDL, or good cholesterol. Is this information true and accurate? Who knows. If you sit down and eat 3 FRIED eggs with a side of bacon and sausage every morning, is it still going to be healthy? Ummmm no.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    I was on a deficit at the time, ketogenic diet, and losing weight. I feel your research might be incomplete. I'm assuming you've heard of Lyle McDonald? There's a free link to his book on high fat diets below. That's one of the places where I got my information from that only 80% of the population can handle high fat diets, ketogenic in my case. I also have 5 pharmacist and a doctor in my family that i speak to with regularly, and they've all been taught that eggs can contribute to higher cholesterol levels.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CC8QFjAB&url=http://aaron.emascc.com/diet/ebooks/Lyle_McDonald_-_The_Ketogenic_Diet.pdf&ei=1pyCUoK8BeP72QWpooGgBQ&usg=AFQjCNG-v1Ej-_pi6zYzj65KNkuA2Oyeew&bvm=bv.56146854,d.b2I&cad=rjt

I was always taught, in nursing school that eggs raise cholesterol as well. That's because one egg has enough cholesterol in the yolk to meet your daily recommended requirement for the entire day, and most people eat more than one egg in one sitting, and eat them several times per week. Also, eggs are in pasta, pastries, and there's also cholesterol in many other foods. However, there have been more research studies done more recently, which show that the cholesterol in eggs is actually HDL, or good cholesterol. Is this information true and accurate? Who knows. If you sit down and eat 3 FRIED eggs with a side of bacon and sausage every morning, is it still going to be healthy? Ummmm no.
    The cholesterol in eggs or any other dietary source is neither HDL or LDL, it's just cholesterol. HDL and LDL and other sub fractions are lipoproteins and basically manufactured by our liver. Egg consumptions effect on those lipoprotiens greatly influences our HDL, it raises it quite a bit in that context and it also influences the particle size of LDL making them larger, hense the rise in LDL and most if not all current research points to the consumption of eggs to be very healthy, especially with our cholesterol.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    My cholesterol has been just outside normal ranges recently...so I'm following as this is all interesting to me.

Just curious if anyone has done any research on wheat or grains affecting cholesterol.
    Grain, I'm not sure, probably. Carbs, yes. More carbs that represent a persons diet the lower the persons HDL is and lowers overall cholesterol levels, but it also increases triglycerides.

Yep, exactly.
  • BigSnicka
    BigSnicka Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My cholesterol levels were dangerously high and doctors placed me on Lipitor deeming that my levels were hereditary and I would have to be on this medication for the rest of my life. Well, fast-forward to today and I am no longer on ANY medications due to a couple of things.

1. MFP allows me to check my cholesterol intake and I for one was astonished at how much cholesterol was in the different meats that I was eating. On average I was taking in about 800-1200 grams of cholesterol a day (without eggs) and the normal daily intake should be less than 300 (for me at least).

2. I checked my levels every 2 months to monitor what my lifestyle change was doing to my overall health.

At the end of the day, it will have to become a lifestyle change or you will revert back to the bad habits. Best of luck to you but I thought I would share since my levels went from high risk of heart attack down to nominal in about 6 months.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

I would venture to say that the medical folks in your family need to get some more recent information and do some modern research.......

This Dr (both MD and PhD) has had many many papers published. I have been researching his work for the past couple of years and has been an eye opener.

http://www.ravnskov.nu/uffe.htm

http://www.ravnskov.nu/myth1.htm

http://www.thincs.org/links.htm
  • ksuh999
    Options

Did they keep you on it?

I don't know if the protocol is the same anymore but after your first big round of Accutane you can have one more big dosage and after that you can never take for longer than one month.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Interesting little tidbit...

"Compared to commercially-produced eggs, eggs from pasture-raised hens have been shown to contain:

1/3 less cholesterol
    1/4 less saturated fat
    2/3 more vitamin A
    2 times more omega-3 fatty acids
    3 times more vitamin E
    7 times more beta caroten"

http://bodyunburdened.com/understanding-egg-cartons/

So... where you source your eggs could have something to do with how they effect your health :)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Interesting little tidbit...

"Compared to commercially-produced eggs, eggs from pasture-raised hens have been shown to contain:

1/3 less cholesterol
    1/4 less saturated fat
    2/3 more vitamin A
    2 times more omega-3 fatty acids
    3 times more vitamin E
    7 times more beta caroten"

http://bodyunburdened.com/understanding-egg-cartons/

So... where you source your eggs could have something to do with how they effect your health :)

Have been shown? By whom? When?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Did they keep you on it?

Yeah, all of this. It's the accutane. Accutane is effective but it is an extremely harsh drug on the body. I was all ready to take it and then freaked out last minute after hearing about the side effects on the liver, cholesterol levels and even depression. I decided to go back on Yaz (also terrible for me but not as scary).

How much longer do you have to take it?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Went to the doctors today and received my liver test results.

Everything was low, except for my cholesterol which sat at 7. I was shocked at this result because I work out 6 times a week, vigorously and I eat clean religiously.

Riddle me this, I eat for breakfast 3 egg whites with one full egg each morning I have read numerous studies in dictating the cholesterol in eggs is actually quite good for you.

Thoughts?

Sometimes high cholesterol is just genetics. If all your other numbers are low, I wouldn't worry about it.

My cholesterol was very high (my HDL was 76, though) and I started eating more eggs and it went down. But even my doctor and a dietician said my diet and lifetyle were not contributing to my cholesterol level and there wasn't much I could do about it.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Here's at least some good news from studies. When you are done with your course, your levels should return to normal.

Accutance and Changes in Blood Levels

Those problems included a 44% rise in triglyceride levels among patients with normal pretreatment levels, a 31% rise in total cholesterol, and an 11% rise in liver enzyme levels.

No significant changes were seen in levels of infection-fighting white blood cells, oxygen-carrying hemoglobin, or blood clotting platelets.

Liver enzyme levels returned to normal within three months after treatment in 92% of the patients who continued to be monitored. Cholesterol levels returned to normal during the same period in 79% of patients, and triglyceride levels returned to normal in 80% of patients.
  • JosieB2014
    Options
    Here's at least some good news from studies. When you are done with your course, your levels should return to normal.

Accutance and Changes in Blood Levels

Those problems included a 44% rise in triglyceride levels among patients with normal pretreatment levels, a 31% rise in total cholesterol, and an 11% rise in liver enzyme levels.

No significant changes were seen in levels of infection-fighting white blood cells, oxygen-carrying hemoglobin, or blood clotting platelets.

Liver enzyme levels returned to normal within three months after treatment in 92% of the patients who continued to be monitored. Cholesterol levels returned to normal during the same period in 79% of patients, and triglyceride levels returned to normal in 80% of patients.

Thanks!!! That is great news! Went to the derm today and he wasn't worried. He said that was a normal elevation to have on to accutane and I can continue my treatment. Cheering!

Thanks for the awesome insight guys, it's been an interesting thread :)