Amount of Calories actaully burned?!

Options
FRUSTRATING!
I go to the gym, and I work out for a non stop 60mins ... sometimes more.
Then when I go to calculate all the calories, it's just not what I hoped.

NEED A FOR SURE WORK OUT (besides running for the moment) to lose a lot in 60mins

Replies

• lattarulol
    lattarulol Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh? What is "a lot?"
  • leonabrown984
    Options
    Like over 600 cal at min..
    222lbs
  • cnhart1
    Options
    I would suggest to do HIIT (high intensity interval training) for part of your work out. Here is what you do: First, warm up, if you haven’t already. Then alternate with 30 seconds giving 95% effort with 90 seconds giving 65% effort. If you want to burn the most calories and fat I would do this as long as you can. It gets tiring though, so I would probably start between 20-30 minutes out of your 60.
  • lattarulol
    lattarulol Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    If done at a high enough intensity almost anything will burn 600 cals in 60 minutes at 222 lbs- Elliptical, cycling, rowing. The key is you have to push yourself and get out of your comfort zone. If you aren't breathing hard and getting your heart rate up then you are wasting your time (well, not really since its better than sitting around, but not making good use of your time).

Find an activity that you actually enjoy doing. Kettlebells? Circuit training (with no rest - in between do jumping jacks, jump squats, jump lunges, jump rope). I second the HIIT training as well. You can devise a HITT training program on any machine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to burn so many calories? Diet for weight control; exercise for fitness...you don't need to kill yourself with exercise to lose weight.
  • sprale
    sprale Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing burns a lot of calories. I like to do Turbo Jam videos in my living room at home. I weigh around 181, and according to MFP burn 593 calories doing a 43 minute workout. I'm not sure how accurate this estimate is, but kickboxing is definitely one of those big calorie burning workouts. The videos I watch incorporate some HIIT principles, too.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Take a bootcamp conditioning class. It's intense.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Are you using a properly programmed Heart Rate Monitor, like a Polar or Garmin, to calculate your calories burned.

I always burn around 600 calories in an hour of cardio.
  • mugslife
    mugslife Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I would say first off, get a heart rate monitor so you can more accurately track your burn. Some of the exercise calories this site has in their database are way off! You can pick up a Polar FT4 for about $60 on amazon.
  • itsfatum
    itsfatum Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    HIIT and cardio work wonders for that. I burn around 1000 per hour when I go skating (30-32km/h avg.) and biking (35-38km/h avg.).

The trick is to push your system over your lactate threshold and stay there for as long as you can (at least 20min, 60min max). It forces your system to it's limit, so warm up every time, rigorously, and expect to feel shattered for two months. After that time, your body will get used to that level of pressure and you will feel more energized than ever while being able to maintain the same level of effort.

HIIT is awesome for pushing your VO2Max, and VO2Max training, plus lactate threshold training, is what will burn you the most calories.

I recommend you to dive into the topic of LT training, HIIT, and tempo runs. There are **** loads of information about it. Most of the things I've found are for runners by runners, but the concepts themselves can be applied to roughly any kind of sport. For example, the Tabata method is used in a lot of workout sessions that don't involve running at all.

Hope it helps.
    Cheers!
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters here - HRM is the way to go if you really want to know how much you're burning.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to burn so many calories? Diet for weight control; exercise for fitness...you don't need to kill yourself with exercise to lose weight.

Yup.

The only activity at which I can burn 10 calories a minute is mountain biking and that's probably because I suck at it, and yeah, I weigh 160lbs.
  • cassandra108
    Options
    Okay I'm 19 and know this is stupid but I'm confused about this calorie intake thing.. How does it work how much calories am i supposed to eat each day.??
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Okay I'm 19 and know this is stupid but I'm confused about this calorie intake thing.. How does it work how much calories am i supposed to eat each day.??

Set your goals using MFP's recommendations for 1lbs a week. You are supposed to burn more than you eat but not in exercise alone. You burn a considerable amount of calories through normal every day life, on average 2000 calories a day.
  • cassandra108
    Options
    so im supposed to eat 2000 calories a day??
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    NEED A FOR SURE WORK OUT (besides running for the moment) to lose a lot in 60mins

Cycling. Swimming.

And (as you mentioned) running.
  • moefinch
    moefinch Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I was a runner for a long time and started to get bored of it. I am now completely addicted to spin classes. They are a serious calorie burner and because you adjust your own tension, you create the workouts depending on your day. It can be as intense as you want!
  • mundaetraversa
    Options
    I agree that a HRM is your best bet for knowing what your body is actually burning. Machines can be way off, and it's hard to tell in which direction!

I highly recommend the Arc Trainer if your gym has them. Start slowly so your body can adjust, monitor your heart rate carefully, and be sure not to overdo it. But the Arc is a great calorie burner - far superior to an elliptical, and even more than running when I do it, and with a lower heart rate - and can bump your burn. Just be careful and monitor yourself for safety when you're trying anything new or when you switch your routine. Good luck!