Help....what do I do!

Options
Ok I am pretty much staying in my goal of 1420 cals a day (mfp set that not me) and most days I do good but there are some days that I seem to not stop being hungry! I mean WTF:noway: , here I am trying to lose and the stomach says "I'm still hungry"..:sad: ..my question is do I just ignore:mad: my evil monster or eat?:mad:

Guys please feel free to look at my diary and tell me all the bad stuff I am doing (just be a lil nice about it LOL)

Thanks!!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    On those days go for a workout and enter it into MFP, the extra calories that you earned from workingout will be added to the amount you are allowed to eat and still lose your goal amount/week.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Ok I am pretty much staying in my goal of 1420 cals a day (mfp set that not me) and most days I do good but there are some days that I seem to not stop being hungry! I mean WTF:noway: , here I am trying to lose and the stomach says "I'm still hungry"..:sad: ..my question is do I just ignore:mad: my evil monster or eat?:mad:

Guys please feel free to look at my diary and tell me all the bad stuff I am doing (just be a lil nice about it LOL)

Thanks!!

Fight off the monster with a glass of ice water, or doing something to get your mind off the food.

After I checked out your food chart, there seems to be a lot of fast food type things and empty calorie things like Fitness Water.. might want to replace them with lower calorie alternatives so you get more volume for your calorie buck

Good Luck!
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. My calorie goal set by mfp is almost the same as yours. There are many times when I feel like I just have to eat something. I find that sometimes water does help to curb that hungry feeling. One thing that I have been trying is to portion out snacks, about 100 cals each, to keep with me throughout the day. I find that having a snack around helps me be able to eat more often to keep my metabolism up and be able to chase away that hungry feeling. Good luck!
  • bubblez_x3
    Options
    Ok I just started MFP too.. I looked just a few days worth of your diary and I will suggest that u try to stay away from too many carbs and sugar.. as well as any fast food. I know its hard but you can do it!
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    Options
    I know the feeling!! I fight off my hunger pangs by cutting back a little on the carbs and eating more protein and healthy fats with each meal. Protein and healthy fats (like those in almonds) will make you feel fuller longer - and they are good for you!

HTH,
    Erin :flowerforyou:
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    maybe try drinking more water. it can help you feel full. small snacks throughout the day help me too. I also eat my exercise calories, you might want to try it if you're not.
  • newlisa13
    newlisa13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I noticed that you eat very light early in the day. Maybe increasing your early meals to 400 cal. will keep you feeling fuller longer. I know I don't feel so deprived around the 400 mark. It may help eliminate your late night snack.
  • vegwicked
    Options
    It looks like you're not eating any fat in the morning. You'll take a little calorie hit, but throwing a tablespoon of peanut butter in your oatmeal will keep you satisfied longer. (I'm not a great example of this today, but if you look back 1-2 weeks to before my wisdom teeth thing my food diary might give you some ideas).

On one day you had Special K cereal, which touts its weight-loss properties but in reality has no fiber and isn't really satisfying. I'd stick with the oatmeal or switch to something with more protein/fiber like Kashi cereals.

If you're hungry between meals, eat an apple and drink some water.

I think a breakfast makeover will make the rest of your day better. Hope that's helpful.
  • norton84
    Options
    Eat, but eat a healthy snack (fruits, nuts, etc). Another trick is, you can always brush your teeth, chew gum, or drink water when you are hungry. Sometimes when your stomach is saying, "I am hungry", that is sometimes dyhrdration.
  • platoon
    platoon Posts: 340
    Options
    1. Eat more protein... you'll feel more full longer...

2. Stay away from processed foods. If you want a taco, make your own. Less calories, sodium, and everything bad...

3. If that doesn't do it, get a piece of chewing gum, and chew it like it's chicken...

4. Water, water, water!

5. Take a walk! The more you work out, the more you can eat.

Good luck on your journey! :-)
  • SharonsJetSet
    Options
    I have been reading Bob Harper's book "Are YOU Ready. Its a great book and so far I'm really loving it. Makes a ton of sense and I feel its one of the first books I've read that will really help ME.

One thing he stresses is to limit your sugar or sugar substitutes. He doesn't mean you can't have them, he just wants you to recognize that they are food triggers. He says the same thing about processed or salty foods. It can trigger our brains to want "junk"

He also says to eat every 3-4 hours. You dont want your stomach to get too hungry or you could go on a binge.

These things have helped me so far. But I will say, its only been a few days.

Good Luck
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    An extra heaping of veggies at dinner might help keep you full at night!
  • stephijames
    stephijames Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary, and you are eating all processed foods (for the most part). Pizza, diet soda, breads ---- even in small quantities, these items are not good for your overall health. Eating processed foods is what is probably amping up your hunger --- you are not getting enough nutrients and "real" food in your diet. Your body is crying out for some vitamins and minerals --- and those come from whole, unprocessed foods.

How about adding in one salad each day ---- a salad made up of veggies (lettuce, cucumber, yellow pepper, cherry tomatoes) and get some good, nutritious food in your system. Cut back on the processed fast food and eat some healthy stuff instead. Snack on baby carrots, almonds, stuff like that.

For me, once I started to cut out all the processed cr*p from my diet, I realized that I wasn't having the cravings anymore.
  • rsvp2244
    Options
    Hey Tenn, I am experiencing the same thing. I would increase your protein and lower your carbs. Protein really helps with hunger pains. It may take a few days to regulate your body, but once you realize you aren't hungry anymore, you are already regulated. Number one priority for me is a high protein breakfast. I eat a variety of meat in the morning. Deli slices of turkey, almonds, etc., I try to eat half of my 1200 calories for breakfast. Then I split the other 600 for lunch and dinner. Also drink lots and lots of water. It fills you up with no calories...
  • debkin
    debkin Posts: 14
    Options
    I have been using MFP for approx. one month now and I must admit that I was surprised with the daily calories at first too. May I suggest "cleaner eating"? I bought the Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno and the Eat Clean cookbook. Since I have been eating clean, I am actualy having trouble eating enough calories in my day. I find that you can eat greater quanitities of clean food as opposed to processed foods and you will feel fuller longer.
    Also, it is good to incorporate atleast 30 minutes of cardio in to each day... this will also allow you more calories :smile:
    Keep up the great work and remember that there is no "exact science"... what works for one may not work for another. Have fun experimenting and you will find something that works for you!
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I **couldn't** ignore my hunger pangs, they were so persistent, so I had to change the way I ate. Some foods stick with you and keep hunger at bay. These would be protein and low glycemic foods. I had to stop eating all empty carbs like popcorn, white bread, white rice, sweets, pop, etc. because when I had even just a little, I was soooo hungry after just an hour or less! I had to eat more often with each 'snack' being a balanced meal of carbs, protein and fats AND I had to exercise every day, too. I also find adding supplements of Irish sea moss helps me whenever I am doing all of the above but I am STILL hungry (this happens about twice a week). I really envy the people who can eat only a little and are hadley ever hungry. I don't think that will ever be me.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Protein and fats (good ones). You need things like yogurt and nuts. Your splurges are on high-cal low satisfaction foods (ie you had sun chips like 3 or 4 days in a row).

At the end of the day if I'm still hugry I make an 6- 8 oz glass of chocolate milk. Also consider eating eggs or oatmeal in the morning and making your own dinner in the evenings. The stuff you are eating is just kind of fluff- no wonder you are still hungry! Don't hoard your cals til the end of the day either! You'll end up binging worse than you can afford.

I used this meal plan (more or less) to adjust my eating habits:

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/six-week-weight-loss-meal-plan-week-1

It's about 1500 cals per day. It might be a good in between step for you to re-learn meal planning and good snack choices
  • rokikio
    rokikio Posts: 92
    Options
    You might want to reconsider the fast food items and flavored water you are drinking. If you pick healthier options (more fruits, vegetables, lean protiens) you will notice that you can eat a lot more and more often. This will help with your hunger pangs. It's hard to do at first because I was feeling the same way earlier in the month but I have cut out all fast food items and if I do pick a fast food item, I make sure it's only once during that day and the rest of my choices are calorie smart.

You can do it but it takes some time. View other people's diaries and get ideas for food items. Drink lot's of water, you might be thirsty and mistaking it for hunger. Oh yeah, check out hungrygirl.com (I've gotten some cool food idea's off there).

I am confident you will get some helpful information and support on this site.
  • ahoward76
    Options
    I have to agree with most of the previous post. Foods w/ higher protein and fiber will keep you fuller longer, hence not needing to snack as much. Also, I would cut back on the fitness water and drink plain water (no cals) which will allow you a few extra calories a day. Snack on greek yogurt which has tons of protein and try to cut back to only one soda a day. This has helped me to curb the cravings and stay fuller longer.

Good Luck....I know that losing this weight is the hardest thing ever but keep up the good changes and you'll notice a difference. :smile:
  • mismgl83
    mismgl83 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I experience the same thing on days where I haven't reached my fiber goals. Like most other people suggested, try more protein and fiber along with plenty of water and you should stay fuller longer. If that isn't working and you're still hungry have a healthy snack like fruit or veggies so that you're caloric intake isn't to high. Also try eating more thorughout the day, I find it I have lots of small meals I am fuller longer.

Good Luck Tenn!