Shorter girls, what are your maintenance calories?

Options
Hi!

I'm just trying to get a gauge of what are maintenance calories for those of you shorter ladies when you are at goal weight?

I'm 5'2'' and weigh about 114, and trying to figure out what my accurate maintenance calories would be. This would help me at least feel comfortable when I am not eating for weight loss, that I can at least be within maintenance calorie range.

I still want to lose a few more pounds but some days are harder than others to keep the calories low.

Thanks!!

Replies

• webneb
    webneb Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    freedieting.com bmr calculator is a great tool heres the link. Be honest with how much you exercise though because it makes a huge difference . http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • kimf79
    kimf79 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I will take a look at this link. I have looked this information up before, and the number I come up with for maintenance is 1800 calories. I just get worried to trust this number, is it correct? That is why I am asking other people what their maintenance calories are.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Anywhere between 1500-2000 depending on what im doing that day/week/month. I dont have a routine so its all over the place lol

Edit to add im 5'1 and 107
  • kimf79
    kimf79 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Anywhere between 1500-2000 depending on what im doing that day/week/month. I dont have a routine so its all over the place lol

Edit to add im 5'1 and 107

Thanks for your input!! And you keep a steady weight and don't ever gain eating this amount?

I feel like after being in the mindset of eating 1200 in the past, I am just wanting to make sure whatever I eat for maintenance wont cause me to gain any....
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I mean, I have bad days just like everyone else, but when I do I just balance it out over the next few days to get back to normal. Its all about finding a balance and a way of living that ur comfortable with. You will never be the same weight every morning for a month, it just doesnt happen. Accept that there will be fluctuations and dont stress about it
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    5 ft tall, 123 lbs. MFP put me at 1650 and that has worked so far with me eating back all of exercise calories. 2 months maintaining so far
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I think maintenance calories are primarily dependent upon your weight and activity level, rather than your height, so I'll pitch in even though I'm a little taller. Plus, I've always felt short next to my almost 6' sister. :wink:

I'm 5'7" and I'm 130 pounds. I've been maintaining (within 1-2 pounds depending on TOM) for over two years at 1700 PLUS exercise. It took several weeks to figure out the right calorie level (I had to add extra calories over what MFP gave me because I kept dropping weight) but once I did figure out the number, it just seemed to work perfectly ever since. You just make adjustments until the weight levels out. I haven't needed to, but I guess any time your weight started to fluctuate again just make more adjustments. :flowerforyou:

ETA: I guess another good point to make (As I looked back through the responses) is that maintenance is very dependent on the individual. I weigh a lot more than some of the other posters here, so you would think my maintenance calories would be higher. They seem to be lower than some. So you can't really predict what your needs will be unless you compare with people who have similar weight AND activity level to you.
  • VoodooAborisha
    VoodooAborisha Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 foot 2 inches, losing weight at 1200 cals net and also hoping for the ability to eat more for maintenance. I just about have to skip a meal to do 1200 calories. sucks to go get a burger OR fries, but never both! Interested to hear short successful maintainers' cals also. At the calories you all are quoting, 1650 - 1800 - I think I could live like that!
  • Lg1001
    Options
    I'm 5'3, around 114lbs and I maintain on around 2500-3000, I don't know if this is normal or not though!! It hasn't always been this way and it's only through eating 'real' food that this has seemed to happen!
  • tegalicious
    Options
    I am 5'3 and 115 pounds and my Fitbit says my maintenance calories will be 2600. I am pretty active though.
  • emilyyyrussell
    emilyyyrussell Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    you should work out your bmr which is more specific to you and your lifestyle :) im 5ft 1' and maintain at around 1500 calories.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    5'1" and maintenance calories are around 2100 cals/day. i have a high lean body mass for my height though, which will make my BMR higher than average for my height.
  • linaa13
    Options
    5'2 and I maintain around 1500-1800 IF I am working out.
    If I don't workout, then around 1300-1400.
    I'm trying to lose weight though.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    When I was tracking, I continued to lose at 1950+exercise. I am 5'3", 111lbs. I stopped tracking and eat what I want. Sometimes I binge on ice cream:) I work out hard. I am maintaining well now, and have been for 8 weeks. Track your calories and exercise and see what happens each week. If you lose, bump it up, if you gain, bump it down. You have to figure out what works for you.
  • mel4bee
    mel4bee Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I want to lose maybe 2 other pounds but on MFP apparently as sedentary, it will be 1540. But I add about 350 calories burned everyday so it would be 1900. I'm 5'3 and 109.5 pounds
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm just trying to get a gauge of what are maintenance calories for those of you shorter ladies when you are at goal weight?

I'm 5'2'' and weigh about 114, and trying to figure out what my accurate maintenance calories would be. This would help me at least feel comfortable when I am not eating for weight loss, that I can at least be within maintenance calorie range.

I still want to lose a few more pounds but some days are harder than others to keep the calories low.

Thanks!!

It depends on what kind of exercise you plan to maintain as well. According to my doctor I'm 5' 3.75" (but I like to say 5'4"). I eat between 1600-1900 calories a day with moderate daily exercising. After Thanksgiving I'm starting a more intensive strength training program and so will be upping my calories to feed the muscles. Find your base and then experiment until you maintain the goal you want...there is no exact science for everyone.

ETA: I'm 118-122 lbs., and have been in that range since about April/May.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0. My current maintenance is 2000-2100 calories. Desk job, burning around 300 calories per day via exercise (heavy lifting and HIIT 3 days a week, walking on off days). Also have a lot of lean mass.
  • speedy740
    speedy740 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 foot 2 inches, losing weight at 1200 cals net and also hoping for the ability to eat more for maintenance. I just about have to skip a meal to do 1200 calories. sucks to go get a burger OR fries, but never both! Interested to hear short successful maintainers' cals also. At the calories you all are quoting, 1650 - 1800 - I think I could live like that!

I was doing the burger OR fry thing too until I realized by throwing out either the bottom or top of the bun(which I actually find makes the burger taste more flavourful, squeezing out the extra grease from the burger, and putting on my own condiments save me a TON of calories I was able to do both meal items! Also I found happy meals and kids portions were my best friend, I got to eat everything and still under budget. A little off topic but maybe someone will find these ideas useful.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I think it would be helpful to clarify whether or not the calories provided are MFP net vs. TDEE. I am still using MFP (net) calculations, and currently I am at 1500 (I started with 1430 but bumped it up recently). However, in terms of gross/total calories it ranges between 1500 and 1900 depending on my daily level of exercise.

My TDEE calculations put me at around 1750 (which is consistent with the range I've provided).

I am 5'1" and have been maintaining at 100 lbs since March.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    5'0ft 115lbs
    I maintain at 1880NET + exercise cals = 2250 approx

Although, I focus more on my weekly intake, which usually comes out to about 15,500.