Wheat products? Good or bad?

Hey everyone,

I hope you are all doing well on your journeys. My question is are wheat products really bad for you? I was under the assumption that they were okay to eat, but I see conflicting advice all the time. At school wheat grains and cereal were listed on the food chart as one of the most important things to keep in your diet, but in half of the magazines about fitness and well being it states that you should eliminate wheat completely. Also I am trying to remove alcohol from my diet, because it seems to trigger the munchies. And it makes it hard to lose weight. What can I put in the place of wheat?

Replies

• LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    It really comes down to you as an individual. Some wheat products are bad for me and some are not. If you don't have an intolerance or an allergy then there is nothing wrong with wheat. I find that when I eat bread and sweet wheat based products all I want to do the rest of the day is continue to eat them, so I avoid it most days.

Having said that I have lost weight while eating them in the past six months.
  • Wicibeth
    Wicibeth Posts: 27 Member
    Just stick to wholewheat products. Or replace with oat anything. <3
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Nothing wrong with wheat. Don't believe the hype
  • debramcrae18
    debramcrae18 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you.

I have already replaced eating weetbix for breakfast with porridge. I was just wondering about stuff like pasta, rice, bread. I am happy to change my diet a little, but I am fearful of having a bland diet, I know it will be hard for me to maintain.
  • As long as you don't have an intolerance or allergy, I think they're a good source of fibre and fill you up.
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    I kind of posted a blog post just a bit ago about the same thing, and a few other things that I am confused about. I like you, have seen that "this is good" or "this is bad" etc. etc. etc. and it gets really confusing and sometimes discouraging.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Thank you.

I have already replaced eating weetbix for breakfast with porridge. I was just wondering about stuff like pasta, rice, bread. I am happy to change my diet a little, but I am fearful of having a bland diet, I know it will be hard for me to maintain.

rice is rice, not wheat...
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    As someone who cant have wheat go out and enjoy it. Yes using wholemeal is better than using white but why deprive yourself of something you like.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Nothing wrong with wheat. It's been demonized lately, like eggs were demonized last decade. People know they can make a profit by preying on people's fears. A book that just says "count calories, eat less than you burn," won't sell many copies. However, a book that says "THIS IS THE ULTIMATE SECRET TO WEIGHT LOSS! JUST AVOID [insert food category] AND THE WEIGHT WILL FALL OFF! ALSO, [INSERT FOOD CATEGORY] IS SECRETLY KILLING YOU!!!!" will sell tons, because it preys on people's fears, and promises them a super secret quick fix for their problems. And when that book doesn't completely solve their problem, JUST WAIT, BUY THE SEQUEL, HERE WE TELL YOU WHY THE FIRST PART DIDNT WORK, AND HOW TO FIX IT!!!!

It's basically a way for publishers to print money. Look at a guy like Gary Taubes, who has been completely discredited in every scientific field he has attempted to write about (from cold fusion, to aviation, to weight loss,) yet he consistently makes tons of money by preying on people's want of a quick fix.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    I love wheat products. I personally don't believe in fad enemy foods.
    Difference now is that my plate will have a smaller portion of pasta than I used to (for example) but wheat products are not the enemy. Excess portion sizes are.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Unless you are allergic, no foods are bad.

Every few years a new fad comes along demonizing a particular food. Why? So the diet industry can sell more books and DVD's.
  • capperboy
    capperboy Posts: 99 Member
    Eat a balance of food that you enjoy to maintain your macros
  • parrrp
    parrrp Posts: 14 Member
    I find wheat makes me tired and retain water, I felt better when I didn't eat it - the only way to find out if you're similarly affected is to cut it out completely and see how you feel... I don't think it's that it's a BAD FOOD, my body finds it hard to digest (and the more processed it is the worse it is, if I have a white bread sandwich at lunch time I'm falling asleep at my desk in the afternoon) so it's not great for me, I tend to use oats and rice and only have wheat when it's unavoidable (like when I NEED a bacon sandwich haha).
    The only actual bad guy is sugar in my view, that stuff is addictive and terrible for you.