2»

Replies

• lauz2512
    Options
    mock champagne I used it at a baby shower

1L (1 pint 15 fl oz) chilled sparkling water
    1L (1 pint 15 fl oz) chilled ginger ale
    700ml (1 pint 5 fl oz) chilled white grape juice

combine all ingredients in a large jug, serve immediately in champagne flutes.

I found this recipe on AllRecipies website
    http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/716/mock-champagne.aspx
  • Mary Jane is your friend if you can resist the munchies, i've quit drinking alcohol a month ago, it's still hard sometimes especially on social occasions.

Yep, pretty much what I would say, if you can resist the munchies then there's a calorie free alternative for you right there!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I don't need to drink to have fun, but it's always nice to have the flexibility to drink if I want to. Honestly, I'd probably be annoyed as hell going out to a drinking environment and drinking something like French sparkling water.

The only reduce calorie alternatives are probably things you don't want to try.. like donating blood, jogging, weed, going to a high altitude, weird pills I don't know the names of, mushrooms, watching Fox News...
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Coffee if they serve it. Then soda water with lime.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    You may be able to get alcohol free wine - I buy it from the supermarkets. It's actually not bad and does taste like wine, and it makes me feel like I'm joining in.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Non-alcoholic beverages still contain a small percentage of alcohol and are not low calorie... it somewhat defeats the purpose.. I mean at this point a shot of Everclear would probably be less calories AND be alcoholic.
  • FranceyPants
    FranceyPants Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I think your best bet is vodka and a low cal mixer, soda water or diet coke. I think vodka is about 50 cals a shot.

The one to stay away from is cider! It is horridly calorific! I used to work in a pub and we started selling bottles of Bulmers light which had the calorie info on the back. It worked out to just under 1000 cals a bottle and that was the LIGHT stuff! I dread to think what's in the normal stuff...

I don't think Bulmers has 1000 calories. The info was probably in kilojoules because Bulmers is an Irish company. 1000kj is just under 250 calories.

Still, definitely adds up :)
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I love any kind of fruit juice mixed with soda water - we do that a lot here in Germany (it's called "schorle"). Just ask for half apple juice, half soda water. Also works well with cranberry and grape juice. Not so great with orange juice.

Of course, the juice still has calories and sugar, but it's a nice change if you don't want just plain soda water or diet sodas.
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    vodka diet coke!

I don't think that is an alternative, but that sounds pretty good...make mine a double.
  • lauren3101
    Options
    Non-alcoholic beverages still contain a small percentage of alcohol and are not low calorie... it somewhat defeats the purpose.. I mean at this point a shot of Everclear would probably be less calories AND be alcoholic.

Yes, they do, but it's hardly worth mentioning. The non-alcoholic wine I buy has 0.05% alcohol. And it's 16 calories for 175ml.
  • Blamber21
    Blamber21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Did not know about non-alcoholic wine. Whats the name?
  • lauren3101
    Options
    Did not know about non-alcoholic wine. Whats the name?

I buy one called Free or Fre, but there's a couple of different types. It's in the wine section in most supermarkets, normally by the low calorie wine.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't understand the need to drink something that look like it's alcohol.

this!

if you're off to the pub and not drinking alcohol just have whatever you fancy... water, diet coke, juice, whatever!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    My friend told me about some alcohol vaporizing device that supposedly gets you hammered off of a tiny amount without any calorie gain. It costs about $200. This seems rather extreme.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't understand the need to drink something that look like it's alcohol.

this!

if you're off to the pub and not drinking alcohol just have whatever you fancy... water, diet coke, juice, whatever!

I think for some people drinking is a mental attachment as well a physical one, so imitation drinks may curb the desire to drink in one's mind.
  • lauren3101
    Options

this!

I buy it because I live fairly far away from my friends, so when we go out I am ALWAYS the driver. There's little options in the pubs for low calorie soft drinks. I can drink a j20 in 5 minutes and it's 132 calories. Same with appletisers, etc. So I normally wind up drinking diet coke, which gets boring.

Plus it makes you feel a bit like you are joining in!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Vicodin?

Ok, seriously... It won't work in a bar but in other social situations sometimes a bottle or two of kombucha tea can be a nice cocktail substitute. It's expensive and tasty and has traces of alcohol. Feels like a treat to me.