VEGETARIANS: Please, Help a Newbie Out

Options
Hello,

I have been looking into vegetarianism for a long time. In a few days, I will have not eaten meat for a month.

Now, my trouble is not knowing what to cook or eat. I am still trying to lose weight, and most vegetarian options I see are either salads or pasta. I don't want to load up on carbs, so I am trying not to rely on pasta. Also, I love salads, but the regular leafy greens with dressing are starting to get old. Fried zucchini is amazing, but the fried part doesn't sound like it will help my waistline move in the direction I want it to.

Are there any suggestions, recipes, websites with low-calorie recipes, etc. that I could reference to keep losing weight, while switching to vegetarianism. I am not much of a cook, so the easier, the better. However, I am open to new things, and if a recipe rocks, I will definitely try it out.

Any help will be extremely appreciated!!

Replies

• breanazank
    Options
    This is suuuper dangerous. I suggest you read more about this lifestyle you have chosen; because it is a lifestyle, not a diet.
    I've know many "vegetarians" and "vegans" (some being my friends) who have literally ate nothing but starchy breads, pastas, etc. because they didnt know where to get their protein (among other things). They didn't bother to do the footwork or proper research to go about it a healthy, beneficial way.

So again, read up and explore the many possibilities and options of being a vegetarian :)
    If you like to cook and have time, I suggest making your own "mock" meats so you know exactly what goes in. You can find many recipes online and through various veggie blogs.

Also, joining a local vegetarian meet-up group(s) helps too!
    Remember: just because it's vegetarian/vegan does NOT mean it's healthy \/better for you. Don't be fooled by the readily-available fake meats and cheeses; they are equally just as bad (some are, some aren't. again, do your research)
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have been vegetarian almost 4 years, my reasons were at first pretty selfish (wanted to lose weight with less fast food temptation) and I started dropping different types of meat one at a time until there was just fish left, then I started educating myself about factory farming and other more ethical reasons for this lifestyle and I am more committed now and hoping to become vegan one day, only cheese a couple of times a week and the odd greek yogurt for me now.

A couple of websites I can reccomend are: Vegweb.com ohsheglows.com, but really I find a ton of recipes just by searching for the food I am craving then putting it in google with vegetarian or vegan in it. Being vegetarian can be really fun if you like to cook, I have tried so many recipes. I just made protein brownies last week and posted the recipe on my blog http://allichamp.wordpress.com/2013/11/06/protein-brownies

I don't eat a lot of pasta but when we do we get brown rice pasta or kamut pasta. I like to eat pita wraps and find whole wheat ones for around 140 cals. Really though, as a vegetarian you have to not think of carbs as bad but of the quality of those carbs. Sometimes I will just have green beans with sauteed onions and almonds (chopped up in the food processor on top). A lot of carbs, but beans are good for you.

I also have a Vega protein shake most mornings to help ensure my nutritional needs are met, and there are many veggie friendly brands out there to choose from.

Remember there are a lot of opinions out there, and meat eaters tend to get on the defensive about their own meat eating. This is your choice, and there are so many benefits to being vegetarian so focus on healthy vegetarian food and have fun with it!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/

http://www.vegkitchen.com/

http://vegweb.com/

There are millions of vegetarian recipes. Do some research, try some recipes, and figure out what your favourites are.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    0f158371-351b-4a0c-955d-949020fa90cc_zps1c891e05.jpg
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Are you a vegetarian or a Vegan?
    Fish/milk/ or Tofu
  • KateEMD
    KateEMD Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am a pescetarian and am loosing weight on a pretty much full vegetarian diet. If you want, add me as a friend and look at my diary to see what I have been eating. Some of it repetitive but it really works for me.
  • NataliaLueck
    NataliaLueck Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    wow how awesome! i became a vegetarian 4 years ago and a vegan one year ago. it was so natural for me since i rarely at meat anyways. there are many recipes online you can look up, and even if you don't cook very well, some easy protein substitutes for meat include tofu (soy), tempeh (cultured and fermented soy), beans of any kind, nuts, and quinoa. my only recommendation is to visit your doctor soon to let them know about the shift in your diet because they may be able to guide you as far as referring to a nutritionist and monitoring your weight, blood pressure, cholesterol, all that stuff. oh and remember it's easy to become a junk food vegan and/or vegetarian. focus on whole natural foods and less on processed foods (for example, cook a pot of bean chili with tofu and wild rice with some other vegetable on the side. good luck exploring!
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    My son went veggie about 6 months ago for ethical reasons and he has certainly lost weight as a side-effect. As other have said you need to be careful about your food choices as lots of things that are not meat based are also unhealthy!

We cook lots of things based on lentils and chickpeas which are cheap, easy and versatile. We have things like veggie curries and bean stews that are really tasty. Also we do roasted veggies (yum and sooo easy) quite a lot. He loves mushrooms (tasty and nutritious) and also tofu which can be used in all sorts of dishes. Eggs are another good source of protein. Cheese is tasty but not so great if you're trying to lose weight so use small amounts of strong cheeses like feta for flavour.

Really you need to spend some time browsing on the web or in a bookstore to find recipes that appeal to you. Try to avoid processed 'fake meats' as they are not only pretty unhealthy but most seem to be pretty horrible and expensive. Eating out is more challenging as most restaurants are fairly unimaginative for veggie options and there is a limit to how much pasta or risotto you can eat.

Good luck. Try new things and have fun. Remember the clue's in the name ... eat lots of vegetables and you can't go wrong.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Beans the fabulous wonderful world of legumes!!! Hummus, bean dips, bean soups, lentil soups, someone posted a lentil hummus on here and it looked so good.

Then start looking at primarily vegetarian cultures...lots of indian food, Mediterranean, asian, hispanic.
  • Caelrr
    Caelrr Posts: 26
    Options
    This is easy... eat:

Fruits
    Vegetables
    Oatmeal
    Yogurt
    Eggs
    Nuts
    Cheese
    Beans

Eat meals like:

Chili
    Lettuce wraps
    Tomato & mozzerella
    Soup

How I do it is I try to have a fruit or a vegetable as the main portion of my meal, & have sides of beans, rice, nuts, cheese, etc. I don't always follow this, in fact I usually don't. I'll have oatmeal with a side of fruit sometimes or I'll have chili with no veggies whatsoever. Why can't you just eat what you always have eaten & just substitute real meat with tofu or something? Or were you not eating healthy to begin with?
  • MonaRaeHill
    MonaRaeHill Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hey there.

I have been vegetarian (off and on vegan) for nigh on 30+ years. It's not as hard as it was when I first started, but yes, the person who posted that it's wise to do some research is right on. I've also known many vegans who were literally starving to death. Ugh. Having said that, it does get easier over time, like most things. Plus, I rarely eat out, still. I soak and dry and soak things, almost every day. We are lucky that we have a co-op, in our tiny town. You can go there and get almost all your grains (even the most expensive co-ops usually have pretty good prices on bulk things) and many other things like Olive Oil, Honey, Nut milk, etc. etc.
    Even if there's no co-op near you, a good dept. store (such as Hannaford's, here) might have a 'natural' section where you can usually score some pretty good deals.And the cookbooks that have come out in the last decade, are incredible. I can't get over the stevia movement. Grock. :(
    Many of the cookbooks I've used over the years (and still do), are: The Self-Healing Cookbook, by Kristina Turner; Vegetarian Times (which I think has a web-site, still); Amazing Grains, by Joanne Saltzman, and A Vegetarians Ecstasy, by James Levin and Natalie Cederquist. Most of these you can get from Half.com, or Amazon, used and inexpensive.
    Oh, yes, be prepared to be prepared, lol. When I had kids, I would spend most Sunday afternoons, cooking up a weeks supply of casseroles, munchies, desserts and such. That way, if my poor latch-key kids, got home before me, they could just zap away. :( We didn't know the bad things about microwaves and/or soy, in those days. I used to also make my own tofu, soy milk and miso, but now, you can buy organic versions of all that stuff, so at least that's gotten some easier. :) I also used a book called: Naturally Sweet Desserts, extensively. This doesn't use refined sugar, but I am having trouble finding it, so a search would probably pop it up for you!
    Well, good luck and keep the faith. What's most important is that you just enjoy the process. It's at least challenging to convert, but also a lot of fun!
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    dont be afraid to carb up!
    but for protein > tofu, tvp/tsp, beans, lentils, seitan, tempeh, faux meat, also if youre eating dairy and eggs then eggs, cottage cheese, stuff like that.

cooking wise its very easy to make normal dishes vegetarian!
  • ninjakittens
    ninjakittens Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There are loads of great ideas above so I won't repeat those. I discovered this site - 101cookbooks.com - a little while ago and it's got lots of unusual and delicious recipes on it.

Also - the veggie food pyramid above - I would recommend less fruit and starches than it has on it. Lots of veggies, pulses, tofu can be fab when it's done right (try baking it with a sweet chilli glaze - addictive!) cheese and dairy in moderation, and high quality whole foods like spelt, quinoa, brown rice etc. Don't forget to get a range of protein sources so that you have complete protein going in :)

I've been veggie for about 20 years (woah - I can't believe that!), though I started eating fish again a couple of years ago - but not a huge amount of it.
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    hi! i consider myself 90% vegetarian, while i still eat some fish and egg. sometimes i still eat meat when i'm out but most of the times my meals are vegetarian. for breakfast you can have greek yogurt, fruits, granola, oatmeal, cereal... you can have it with soy or almond milk. for lunch you can have veggie soup (pretty filling) with some carb like bread or baked potato. salad can be fun if you switch it up with some quinao, roasted vegetables, beans, chickpeas, nuts, dried or fresh fruits. you can also get frozen vegetarian patty and make a burger or eat it with carb like rice or pasta. load it up with lots of veggie. i'm a very lazy cook too so i like to do stir fry with different veggies, rice/noodles, tofu, beans, chickpeas etc. hope this helps.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I'm reposting something I wrote a couple of months ago in response to a similar open-ended question about what to eat besides salads when becoming vegetarian (the thread was called "eating vegetarian" if you want to look at what other people had to say). Hope it helps. (BTW, I'm an ominivore, but most of my at-home meals are vegetarian or vegan, and a lot of my away-from-home meals are as well. You can add me if you want to look for ideas.)

Rather than specific dishes, I thought I might suggest a few general approaches to help you get thinking beyond salads. One is that just as you probably start with deciding what meat/poultry/fish you're going to have when you're not having a vegetarian meal, start by deciding on a legume (beans/lentils, tofu, hummus), whole grain (oatmeal, brown rice, whole grain pasta, whole-grain pizza crust, cooked whole grains), eggs, or cheese (the last two obviously pack a lot more fat and don't offer any fiber, and some people prefer to limit them for those and other reasons) to be the "backbone" or "center" of the meal, and surround or combine them with foods from the other categories, as well as veggies, spices, and/or dressing/sauces (these don't have to be high calorie, if that's an issue -- lemon or lime juice, balsamic vinegar, tomato sauces are all good options).

Another approach is to decide whether you're in the mood for soup, salad, a sandwich, a casserole, a stir-fry, a roast (generally made from nuts and grains, but some recipes call for legumes and dense veggies like sweet potatoes -- kind of like a giant veggie burger :-), an omelet, pasta, a burrito, or whatever other categories of dishes you like to eat ... Once you've made that decision (which might be influenced by the energy and time you have for prep, the weather, how hungry you are -- just as it probably is when planning a meat/poultry/fish-based meal), you can make any necessary veggie substitutions for whatever m/p/f-based meal you might ordinarily have when you're in the mood for soup, a sandwich, a casserole, a stir-fry, etc., or you could search on some of the sites other posters have mentioned, or you could just use a general search engine to look for vegetarian soup (or salad, sandwich, casserole, etc.) recipes, maybe adding one or two main ingredients you have on hand.

Another approach that drives a lot of my meal decisions is what looks good to me in the produce section, which often later in the week turns into "I bought too much produce because it looked so good -- what am I going to do with the eggplant before it goes soft or that kale before wilts?" and the eggplant turns into baba ganoush with pita and hummus, or stir-fried eggplant with garlic sauce or fake eggplant parmigian -- no breading, just broiled or pan fried with a little oil (you have to be careful because eggplant will pretty much soak up as much oil as you give it), covered in tomato sauce and little cheese, and back in the oven or under the broiler for a bit, or the kale gets cooked with white beans and garlic, or shredded into a soup -- it goes really well with oniony potato soups, especially ones that have a little sausage, like chorizo, or ham, but that doesn't help you with exploring meatless meals ;-) (Obviously, I'm not a vegetarian. On average I probably have some kind of meat or poultry once or twice a week, and I've been trying, pretty successfully, to have fish twice a week.)

Another approach is to explore (through websites, cookbooks, cooking shows, restaurants) various cuisines that don't rely as much on meat/fish/poultry as modern Western societies do, which could include Indian, Chinese, various Mediterranean cuisines -- truth be told, probably just about every culture, if you look at the food that ordinary (non-wealthy) people traditionally have eaten, because meat and poultry, at least, tend to be beyond the means of most people in most places and times. We have a thriving food-truck business in the area where I work, with trucks representing a wide range of ethnic cuisines, and I get ideas from there. A few weeks back I had for the first time an Egyptian dish called koshari or koshary, which included vermicelli, rice, lentils, chick peas, fried onions, and a somewhat spicy, thick tomato sauce, and I loved it so much I found some recipes online and have been trying them out. Once you've made the sauce (I started with canned pureed tomatoes, so it wasn't much work) and have some cooked lentils, cooked/canned chickpeas, and cooked rice on hand, it's not anymore work than pan-frying onions until they just start to carmelize, then throwing the uncooked pasta in the pan to toast it, add a little boiling water to finish cooking the pasta, add the lentils and rice when the pasta is nearly done to reheat them, then put it in a bowl with the chickpeas, tomato sauce, and onions on top ... Mmmm, I'm going to go make myself some now. (Here are the recipes I used to give myself an idea of how to do this, but I didn't follow either one exactly (http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/koshari-10000001924679/ and http://allrecipes.com/recipe/koshary/).

I hope one or more of those approaches works for you. You really can have just as much variety when you're not eating meat/poultry/fish as you when you are eating them, if not more.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I drink whey protein and a meal replacement to get a lot of goodness. I also use Quorn (high protein and eggs). I cheat and eat fish as well. The protein shake is vital for me - We need about 0.8 grms of protein per lean lb of weight (more than MFP says) so to get enough the shakes really help. Good luck .
    03428 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    just look at this blog: garden-of-vegan.tumblr.com
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Yes, proteins are essential. Unfortunately, non-meat sources of protein tend to be carb/calories heavy. I ave a friend who is lactose intolerant, vegan, and eats gluten free. It is difficult for him to get all of his nutrients without being slightly overweight. Slim, healthy vegetarians/vegans are rare. Not impossible, but rare. Most people think being a vegetarian is a easy ticket to being slim, but that is not the case.
  • emilyyyrussell
    emilyyyrussell Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    EAT ALL THE CARBOHYDRATES
    AND BY CARBOHYDRATES I MEAN FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
    AND PASTA
    because your cells THRIVE on carbs!
    everyone goFRUITyourselves!
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian a long, long time, but it took me a long time to figure out how to be a healthy one (I still have my moments lol). Things to watch out for on a veggie diet are an over reliance on pastas and on dairy! Especailly if you're eating out, you're often faced with either a salad or a pasta dish or a cheese sandwich. The biggest thing I found is to start cooking more and prepping meals for myself. I try to eat protein with every meal/snack because it helps fill me up - tofu, beans, legumes, hummus, seitan, tempeh, eggs (if you eat them) are all good protein sources. Even quinoa. Also lots of fruits and veggies. Avocado. Peanut Butter. Soy Milk.

Instead of say, fried zucchini, you could try stuffed zucchini (cut the zucchini in half, hollow out the middle and stuff it with "stuffing" - I don't have a specific recipe but you could use quinoa (or cous cous or rice or just skip the grain) and mushrooms, tomatos, etc. and then bake. optional: top with cheese).

I'm a huge fan of ratoutille. I make a batch and it lasts me a few days. Throw in beans and you've got your protein covered too. It takes a little while to cook but it is easy enough to do.

Chili is another pretty easy, protein packed veggie meal. In a pot or crockpot I usually put beans, tomatos, peppers, onions, taco seasoning, tomato paste and maybe whatever other spare veggies I have.

If you want to try making your own burgers I highly recommend Lukas Volger's book "veggie burgers every which way". I've made a few and loved them!