How to lose weight while marathon training?

Options
Hi - does anyone have tips for losing weight while marathon training?

I just finished my first marathon (hooray!) and, since I wasn't paying attention to what I was eating AT ALL (I ate crap), I actually gained weight during my first training. While I know you have to eat to build muscle, what I did certainly wasn't ideal.

That said - can you safely lose fat while marathon training, while also building the necessary leg muscle? Does anyone have nutrition tips or a reference for this? I know people say you can't gain weight and lose fat at the same time, but distance running is muscle burning, and wouldn't the body still repair muscle with protein? I'm confused. Any advice? Thanks! :)

Replies

• Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    man I have no idea - I would assume anybody marathon training is burning tons of calories, shocked you actually gained

don't think there is anyway you will be gaining any appreciable muscle from purely marathon training - certainly reasonable to lose fat though, must be consuming a heavy amount of cals
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I didn't do the short runs, just the long runs - and though that's up to 2200 cals for me for a 22 mile run (longest long run), that's really easy to eat past that in a week when you're eating whatever and not tracking. Oh well, it's proof that losing weight really is 80% diet.

I did gain muscle though, husband and I can both see the difference in my legs (which were already pretty cut!).
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first marathon! If you did it this weekend, give it a few days before weighing yourself. Carb loading causes weight gain (though you should have sweat most of the extra water out), and your muscles will be retaining water for repair for a few days after.

Its not really advised to eat at much of a deficit while marathon training. Fuel is needed for those runs, so at most I will lose a pound or two during an 18 week training period. Some muscle will be gained, but its not exactly a bulk. I make sure to get 120g protein a day (that's 1g per pound lean mass), and only stick to a deficit of 100-200 cal/day. This has me maintaining at 2700+ cals/day during high level training, and that keeps me feeling good on my runs. It can be done, it just requires tight control on your diet during training, which can be tough, since marathon training turns people into ravenous hunger beasts.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Hi - does anyone have tips for losing weight while marathon training?

Small deficit. TDEE-10%, and even that might be aggressive. With all the working, you'll want to minimize body stress by losing it slowly, patiently.

Alternately, back off the training and lose it fast, then get back on the training schedule.
  • heykatieben
    Options
    Thanks! :) Gotcha, thanks for adding your experience. :)
  • heykatieben
    Options
    Back off training and lose it fast... hmm... can I safely lose weight starting now, while I'm recovering from Marathon #1? The rush is that Marathon #2 is 18 weeks away.

I think I've probably lost 1.5 lbs/week with very good focus, maybe do something like that?
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm reading this book right now.
    So far it's very interesting. And it's made for athlete wanting to lose body fat and gain muscles.

http://www.amazon.com/Racing-Weight-Lean-Performance-Series/dp/1934030996
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I'm reading this book right now.
    So far it's very interesting. And it's made for athlete wanting to lose body fat and gain muscles.

http://www.amazon.com/Racing-Weight-Lean-Performance-Series/dp/1934030996

I would recommend this as well.

It's not so much about losing weight for someone like you but weight and performance management. Sounds fancy but all it really means is keeping your diet under control and ensuring enough energy availability to ensure your performance does not suffer.
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have only ever run half marathons, but in my experience my scale weight never decreased while training but I definitely lost inches. If you restrict calories your runs will suffer, you need the appropriate fuel for those types of workouts.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I haven't done the full marathon, but I regularly compete at the half marathon distance and have had to ensure that I'm aiming for a small deficit while training. Aim for losing 1/2 a pound weekly at most. For long-run days, sometimes have some of the calories the night before i.e. go over your calories, knowing you're going to burn them the next day... then factor in what you eat while running and then re-fuel after. Be sure to get most of them in. Your body needs them.

If you're marathon training, you're not running to "lose weight"... you're running to run. Let something else (like your NEAT - Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) be where your calorie deficit comes from. Be sure your body gets all it needs to be the athlete you're becoming.

EDIT to add: In the last 2-3 weeks before racing, bring your intake up to maintenance. Don't race depleted.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I've never had this problem. By the time I am ramped up to my peak mileage I am stuffing down ice cream nightly just to keep from getting too light.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    You lose weight during marathon training the same way you lose weight while not marathon training; by tracking your calories and eating less than you burn. As someone already suggested, you'd certainly want to avoid too large a calorie deficit to ensure you have energy to fuel your long runs, but it's as simple as that when it comes down to it.

Congrats on your marathon and best of luck with your next! :flowerforyou:
  • heykatieben
    Options
    Thanks all for the congrats, tips & encouragement! :)
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I've never had this problem. By the time I am ramped up to my peak mileage I am stuffing down ice cream nightly just to keep from getting too light.
    [/quote

Haha I secretly hope you come back as a woman. It's a MAMMOTH task being slim!]
  • jenna762001
    jenna762001 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have lost small amounts of weight during marathon training (5 lbs) I think the biggest issue is only keeping a very small deficit and even more important is the proper foods and macro percentages. What work's for everyone is different so you'll have to experiment to find what ratio and combination works best for you. For me its about 55% carbs, 25-30% protien and 15-20% fat. Where your getting these calories from is equally important, probably even more important. Lots of fresh fruits and vegetables for those carbs, lean protien, good fats, stay away from too much reifined sugar and "junk food". I recently ran my best 1/2 marathon only 2 weeks after a marathon while also maintaining a significant deficit. It worked because I made my calories count. (Most of them anyhow, i do treat myself so i dont feel deprived). I have had times during training where ive had to adjust calories because I clearly was in too much of a deficit. I could manage my runs, but they were slower than typical, my legs would be very heavy, and I was generally fatigued the rest of the day after workouts. I run between 30-50 miles a week and don't take an off season. I recently added a few days of CrossFit back into my schedule and again had to adjust as fatigue was beginnning to take over. Listen to your body. Be aware of showing signs of inadequate nutrition. Log your calories so you can be conscious of where they're coming from, and so that you will have a reference point as you need to tweek things. Also, it is not uncommon to gain weight during training either. We get lax because we know were burning thousands of calories a week extra and then stop being diligent about our calories and food choices. Also, the more you run, the more efficient your body becomes and you do burn somewhat less calories at the same pace. A heart rate monitor is a beautiful thing for more accurate measurements of burn. Running marathons is an awesome way to eat like a king but to perform and feel your best, make those calories count. :)
    my favorite carb choices: oats, rice, beans, sweet potatoes, butternut, acorn, and spaghetti squash, rutabaga, greens, carrots, green beans, brocolli, cauliflower... and bananas, great running fuel! Also fresh berries and apples.
    protein: non fat plain Greek yogurt (mix it with fresh fruit), cottage cheese, skim milk, eggs (I do a ratio of 1 whole egg to 2 egg whites, chicken, salmon (excellent for runners with anti inflamitory properties), tuna, and extra lean beef. I use whey powder generally only on CrossFit days immediately after the workout.
    Find what works for you and congrats on your first marathon! Happy training! :)
  • heykatieben
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, Jenna! That's great to hear. :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I didn't do the short runs, just the long runs - and though that's up to 2200 cals for me for a 22 mile run (longest long run), that's really easy to eat past that in a week when you're eating whatever and not tracking. Oh well, it's proof that losing weight really is 80% diet.

I did gain muscle though, husband and I can both see the difference in my legs (which were already pretty cut!).

Just so you know, you may have gained 1 lb of muscle at max doing only long endurance training. And likely whatever you gained in your legs was lost in your upper body. Past 60 min, and especially 90, amino acid conversion to glucose becomes 10-20% of the energy supply. At that point in time, that ain't amino acids floating around from your last meal, those were already used up.

You likely loaded your muscle up with glucose stores though, which has attached water - that will swell the muscle up pretty good.

But endurance doesn't need more muscle. Only if you do sprints to put an overload to increase speed do you need more muscle - and then you can get some.

Congrats though, and very true, if aiming for any kind of performance, about impossible to eat at deficit for that kind of training. At least not on or following the big run, where body is trying to repair.

That is such a stress on the body, your really don't need the stress of a diet anyway.

Same thing applies to training for century bike ride or triathlons. Very difficult.

Also - only 2200 for 22 miles?

For 120 lb person doing 6 mph, therefore 220 min, at 1% grade, that's a tad over 2200.
    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html

What's providing your estimate? Maybe it's a good one.

Only suggest that because if you actually go too low, and doing that kind of stressful training, body has less room before adapting negatively, you may not have had enough on your big run days or after. That can also cause little to no loss, and bad performance compared to what could have been.
  • JTH11706
    JTH11706 Posts: 2,934 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your marathon!

I'm training for my 3rd marathon now and am managing to lose weight very slowly, but I gained or maintained during the other two. I find the hardest part is the big spike in calories on long run days and the effect it seems to have on my appetite. I did 20 miles on Friday, fueled myself appropriately the night before and day of, but found myself very hungry Saturday when all I did was an easy 2 mile walk, so I ended up over on calories. I think it may also be related to carbs. I don't normally eat much pasta or bread, but I do before the long run and the day after the long run I'm still craving them. This time around I am finding the key is to try to get back to normal food intake as quickly as possibly after the long run.

The other thing I have seen is that right after running a marathon my weight spikes. Apparently this is due to fluid retention as your body repairs damaged tissue. It took about a week before I got back to my normal weight, but it's not permanent so don't panic.

It is frustrating that marathon training doesn't cause weight loss, but as others have said, if you really focus on your food intake and don't assume you're burning enough calories to eat whatever you want you can manage it. Good luck!
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I skimmed the other comments and didn't see this suggestion.
    I would try to work in a day or two a week of sprints. I know it doesn't really fit the marathon running style, but it does build muscle mass and it has been shown that, only doing steady state cardio like long distance runs, your body adapts quickly and learns to conserve energy. HIIT cardio is not subject to this adaptation.
    Here is an article on the subject: http://www.simplyshredded.com/cardio-for-fat-loss-high-intensity-interval-training-cardio-vs-low-intensity-steady-state-cardio.html
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I skimmed the other comments and didn't see this suggestion.
    I would try to work in a day or two a week of sprints. I know it doesn't really fit the marathon running style, but it does build muscle mass and it has been shown that, only doing steady state cardio like long distance runs, your body adapts quickly and learns to conserve energy. HIIT cardio is not subject to this adaptation.
    Here is an article on the subject: http://www.simplyshredded.com/cardio-for-fat-loss-high-intensity-interval-training-cardio-vs-low-intensity-steady-state-cardio.html

Actually, that is great advice and really does fit in for marathon training. 1 of my runs each week is hill sprints or HIIT session on track.

Even if eating too much of a deficit to actually have it add muscle, it'll help raise the top end of the aerobic range by increasing the lactate threshold and increasing VO2max.
    Bigger range and training the lower fat-burning side well, equals bigger range for burning bigger ratio of fat to carbs.
    That's always good for endurance cardio.

And if eating at maintenance, it's going to be the only way outside of lifting to get that increase in muscle while dropping fat, to allow you to get faster beyond using existing muscle.