Hubby losing faster that I am :-(

Options

Replies

• QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    It's a fact of life that men lose weight faster than women because they have more muscle on their bodies. A pound a week is within the healthy weight loss range. Your expectations are way off. If you aren't heavy lifting, you could add that to preserve lean body mass and lose more fat. A low carb diet has amazing results and if done correctly can be a life long change. There are more than 23 low carb diets around so don't just think Atkins, although that is what I do. No matter what else you do, NEVER compare your weight loss with someone else.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    There's a scientific reason for this- men's fat cells are shaped in such a way that makes losing fat easier for them. Men's cells are diamond shaped and ours are square. The square shape doesn't lend itself to shrinking in the way the diamond shape does. Men's muscle mass also plays a role. Muscle allows for a quicker calorie burn, so if you want to start losing quickly start working on building muscle mass!

I have never heard this theory before. I always understood fat cells to be literally identical between the genders.

Look it up. Science.
  • Kitty7814
    Options
    In the same boat, not only did my husband lose his quickly but didn't have as much to lose so already looks fantastic. It's a bit disheartening, but I use it as motivation and also remind myself how lucky I am to have a spouse that's working to get better as well. There are many who post on here who unfortunately have spouses/significant others who are not interested in improving and to me I'd rather be jealous and motivated by it than struggling to improve while my partner continues to slack and potentially bring me down. Plus, he looks fantastic : P

As everyone else has said, men lose waaaaayyyyyy faster. I lol'd at the creamer joke because my husband did the same thing once "oh, I'll just stop putting mayonnaise on my sandwich at work." poof, 10 lbs gone somehow. As far as rate, you have to keep in mind that it's up and down all the time. I have lost an average of 1.5 lbs/week over 15 weeks and that includes 3 weeks with gains.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    I find it so sweet that you are doing this as a couple. Hang in there and remain positive about your own success. True story: When I got married almost 20 years ago, one piece of advice that my grandmother gave me was to avoid gaining weight with my husband. According to my grandmother, if we both gained weight, it would be so much easier for him to lose the weight once we decided to do so. I wonder if it is the extra muscle that men tend to have...
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    There's a scientific reason for this- men's fat cells are shaped in such a way that makes losing fat easier for them. Men's cells are diamond shaped and ours are square. The square shape doesn't lend itself to shrinking in the way the diamond shape does. Men's muscle mass also plays a role. Muscle allows for a quicker calorie burn, so if you want to start losing quickly start working on building muscle mass!

I have never heard this theory before. I always understood fat cells to be literally identical between the genders.

Look it up. Science.

I tried but I couldn't prove your theory. The storage of adipocytes tends to vary between genders but the actual structure of individual adipocytes does not vary based on gender. If you have a source, I would love to read it, because this would be a very interesting fact considering how similar men and women are at the cellular level.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options

Look it up. Science.

a diamond is just a square rotated 45 degrees. GEOMETRY!

S0.gif
  • cammo_666
    Options
    I'm going to call shenanigans on the fat cell shape. I have no medical knowledge at all, but still .... shenanigans :)
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

Look it up. Science.
    maybe a link would be helpful instead of rudeness.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

Look it up. Science.

I tried but I couldn't prove your theory. The storage of adipocytes tends to vary between genders but the actual structure of individual adipocytes does not vary based on gender. If you have a source, I would love to read it, because this would be a very interesting fact considering how similar men and women are at the cellular level.
    ^ this
  • loneaffliction
    loneaffliction Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Agreed that you can't compare your weight loss to anyone else's, as we all have different body types and activity levels. And the close to 2 pounds a week that you are losing is a healthy loss. Your husband's loss is actually a little faster than is typically recommended, unless supervised by a doctor. You're just starting out, so as someone suggested, it could be partially contributed by water weight, but it would probably be a good idea for each of you to speak to your doctor about your goals.

It is often said that this isn't a race; it's a marathon. Those focused on losing weight quickly are often the ones that inevitably gain it back because they haven't made the proper changes to adjust their lifestyles or learned the essentials of nutrition. Also, our bodies typically adjust better to a slow loss over time.
    As a rule of thumb, the following weekly targets would give a balance between minimizing these negative side effects and seeing a reasonable weekly weight loss:
    More than 75 lbs: 2 lbs/week
    40-75 lbs: 1.5 lbs/week
    10-40 lbs: 1 lb/week
    Less than 10 lbs: 0.5 lb/week

You two are vastly different in size. A foot in height contributes a lot when it comes to energy needs. Your calorie deficit isn't appropriate for him. It would be best to calculate a reasonable deficit for each of your individual needs so that you are properly fueling your bodies and getting the right nutrition. What you're doing right now may be working, but if you are eating too much of a deficit, one of you may find that you start to become tired, cranky, weak, or more subject to binging as a result of hunger. Also, this will make it much easier as you transition back into a normal diet when you reach your goal and go back to maintenance. You won't be cutting your calories forever, right? You should learn what is sustainable for you long term. You may be depriving yourselves unnecessarily, though it sounds like you are absolutely on the right track. I highly recommend reading the following topics and calculating each of your TDEEs (explained in more detail within). It also wouldn't be a bad idea for him to make an account of his own so that he can learn the same as you in taking accountability for what he eats since you are on this road together.

Must reads for any beginner:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it?hl=the+basics+keep+it+simple
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/841305-corn-used-my-man-parts-as-a-speedbag

Additional reads to help you on your way:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
    http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/flexible-versus-rigid-dieting.html
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/925464-fitting-it-in-giggity
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    My husband has also been dieting, with my help, as I use my calorie count for him, as we eat more or less the same food, and I allow a bit extra for him, as he started at 15st 4lbs and is 6ft, (I'm 5ft and started at 11st 7lbs ) The annoying thing is, although I am very pleased for him, he has lost 16lbs in the same period!

The swine!

Men typically have a greater TDEE than women (assuming activity levels are around the same) simply due to the fact they weigh more (and have more lean mass but that is less significant in terms of energy expenditure than overall weight despite the prevailing wisdom.)

If you are using the same calorie level and he has a higher TDEE then he has a greater calorie deficit and voila - he has lost more weight.

You could divorce him but that would be a bit harsh...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Look it up. Science.

a diamond is just a square rotated 45 degrees. GEOMETRY!

S0.gif

:laugh:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    OP if you and your husband are eating at close to the same calorie level then he will lose faster than you because he's larger. Your deficit seems perfect since 1 lb per week is a good amount to be losing. His seems like it might be too large.

Before I lifted weights my husband ate twice as much as I did at dinner time and we lost around the same amount. Now I'm too hungry for that nonsense :laugh: but he still eats a little more than me.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    7lb. in 4 weeks is an aggressive loss. Good job!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend terminating your husband. This will alleviate the problem.
  • I really can't thank all of you enough, for being so kind in replying and giving me so much encouragement. :smile:
  • :laugh: Bit drastic, trouble is I love the rapidly shrinking so and so.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Bit drastic, trouble is I love the rapidly shrinking so and so.
    :) some may call it drastic. But weight loss is important. Stop at nothing!
  • roniredd
    Options
    Let it go and simply be happy for him. My husband and I started around the same time - he is close to losing 70 pounds, me 20.

1. He had a lot more to lose!
    2. He had more room to cut back his portions then I did ....
    3. He was a complete couch potato before and I was not ....

Can't let it get to you .....
  • fpelletier
    fpelletier Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, I know that feeling all to well! My husband and I are both doing this, I weigh more than he does, he is a few inches taller than I am. We started off about the same, then he took off and past me while I stalled out. I was so blah about it, but knew I'd keep losing. I was like about 15lbs gone and he was closer to 20lbs, then he stalled out and I kept going. I am nearly at 40lbs gone (39.5) and he is at 28lbs gone, we've been at it for slightly over 6 months now.

Don't get discouraged, know the weight will fluctuate between you and it's OK! :)