Running?

Options
Ok so i have lost 41 pounds so far and im still nowhere near my goal weight, i walk about 4-5 times a week and eat pretty healthy, i wanted to know if i started running will that help lose weight faster and help me slim down more? (p.s i have not noticed any change in my appearance so far)

Replies

• eveadams721
    eveadams721 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Anything getting your heart rate up faster past 120 you begin to burn calories - so def. start running..looks like the increase in movement for you since your walking tons shouldn't be difficult. Good luck.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    41lbs since July is great!! Congrats on your success so far!

Running will help to increase your cardiovascular health and also increase your energy deficit. I also recommend adding in some form of strength training to round out your exercise regimen.

I am shocked that you havent seen changes. Are you taking measurments?
  • jess_steich7
    Options
    It will definitely help! Like the post earlier you should definitely add some strength training to your routine.
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    just be sure your exercise doesnt drop your net daily intake too low.

ive swam, biked, lifted and i like all of them but i love running. do it anywhere, social, set your own goals. For me its giving me the best results in changing my body and my mentality. the others were good but just not the same. some decent shoes, maybe some running shorts or pants and away you go. anywhere any time no fees :) lots of views, as easy or hard as you want it too.

I cant imagine not running now and i actually long for it when i cant for more than a few days. I went for a run saturday, my running pals were busy but i wanted to go so went anyway. ran 11km and only stopped because i had things to do. as i was entering the 11th km i looked at my watch for the second time and started to think about what i had to get done that day. Then i realized that i didnt think about anything the whole run, i remembered thinking to watch out for the ice a few times, i concentrated on my stride a few times and breathing a few times, other than than, nothing, nada, zip zilch zero.... it was awesome lol. For me running is as much if not more of a benefit mentally than it is physically.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I LOVE running! It is my favorite workout. I tolerate weight training, but running just clears my mind. If you're looking for a starter program, the couch to 5K is fantastic. Just google C25K and you're off and running. (be sure to get good running shoes and a good running bra!)
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Ok so i have lost 41 pounds so far and im still nowhere near my goal weight, i walk about 4-5 times a week and eat pretty healthy, i wanted to know if i started running will that help lose weight faster and help me slim down more? (p.s i have not noticed any change in my appearance so far)

My completely unscientific opinion is that weight training will do more for changing you appearance. Running will just shrink down what you are working with already, although there will be some toning, as well. Running is far and away my exercise of choice, but not for weight loss reasons. I like the challenge and enjoy the time out on the road to clear my head. Oh, and it makes me awesome! :laugh:

A calorie deficit will carry you to your goal. Doing some kind of exercise will keep you healthy along the way. Running is not a panacea, but it certainly is worthwhile, imho.

Good luck and have fun!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    41lbs since July is great!! Congrats on your success so far!

Running will help to increase your cardiovascular health and also increase your energy deficit. I also recommend adding in some form of strength training to round out your exercise regimen.

I am shocked that you havent seen changes. Are you taking measurments?
    This. Run some and lift some. And eat enough.
  • jmazza_2000
    Options
    First of all, good work on your loss so far, I started running after hitting a plateau at the beginning of the year. I really noticed results and fast, i went from not being able to run 1km without stopping to being able to run 5km without stopping.

My weight also started to come down again quickly. You will notice great results, just make sure you listen to your body, I also agree with others, incorporate some strength training as well, this will help, remembering that muscle burns fat.

Good luck, I look forward to hearing about your success!
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    I am as unscientific as Keith and likewise have found great rewards with running. My changes were more pronounced to me in measurements and how clothes started to fit differently. It is also the cardio vascular improvements that make a difference for me every day. I can do more day to day activities and exercises without getting winded. And when I see people who I haven't seen in a while, they remind me of how much change I have gone through. I have sprinkled in some strength training too but no more than twice a week and not with heavy reps.

41 lbs is remarkable progress. My vote is for running over strength training for the cardio element. Good luck.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Running is great for fat loss I love to run myself for both mental and physical excercise. But again as I am sure you are aware a calorie deficit is what creates loss of weight (both fat and muscle) not excersise.
  • ejsherms
    ejsherms Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I swear by C25K. I am not a runner by any means and I still have a ton to lose, but I decided this summer to give myself a 5K goal by the end of the year. Slow and steady, I did the program and now I actually kind of sort of like running and have added 2 extra exercise days to my week to accommodate my new found enjoyment of running. Plus it can be social, I joined a running group to keep me motivated through the Chicago winter. That is right I now like running so much I am going to run all winter long… in freaking windy, freezing, wet Chicago winter.

PS my thighs are looking phenomenal and I am looking longer and lean already. So yes, run, at any weight and at any time, just don’t give up and I promise you will be rewarded.