Question about green tea

Options
Does green tea really help with weight loss?

Replies

• Brunette122
    Brunette122 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I started drinking it but didn't notice a difference.
  • SexyPirate93
    Options
    I was told that it's got antioxidants in it and it boosts metabolism...but I'm not sure. I'm drinking unsweetened green tea and I'm thinking about just drinking that and water as my liquids and see what happens.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Nope.

There was a study looking at green tea and metabolism, and yes, a cup of green tea will increase your metabolism by 1%. This effect topped out at 2% (meaning if you drank 10 cups, your metabolism would go up by only 2%)

So if you normally burn 2000 calories a day and drank 2 cups of green tea, you'd burn an extra 40 calories. Not enough to make any difference.

The same is true of any other food/pill that claims to increase your metabolism. It may go up, but not enough to make a difference.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is calories in vs calories out. All the teas, pills and magical unicorn hair won't impact your weight loss.

Eat the things you like at a deficit and you will lose weight. If you like green tea then enjoy it if you don't well don't drink it thinking it will do anything good weight loss wise :smile:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Does not help with weight loss. Does have antioxidants. Amusingly enough, research is starting to emerge that's making claims that "antioxidant" may not actually mean anything after all.
  • kristenfischer12
    Options
    i think it's also great because of the antioxidants, so that's definitely another reason to drink it. it can be very healthy and also low/no cal. great way to beat the water boredom:)
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I drink it. No, it's not a miracle cure for weight loss. I do generally feel better on the days I do drink it as a posed to when I don't.
  • kkgant
    kkgant Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Not sure it really helps that much with weight loss, but I have switched to green tea over coffee & diet sodas & feel a ton better, so I'm addicted now!
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I drink it just because it's much more healthy than soda and other high sugar drinks plus I find it just makes me feel good.
  • lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    It didnt make any changes for me or maybe Twinings isnt a good brand? Lol but I love the taste that's why I drink it :) i'm thinking of buying full leaf green tea instead of the one in groceries maybe it can bring some changes to my skin or something lol :) GOOD QUESTION BTW :)
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I drink it everyday. Don't know about the weight loss though. Like others have said I do feel better when I drink it. It also helps my complexion. Twinings is my least favorite brand. Tazo (Zen) and Stash (ginger peach) are good. I also love Chai tea.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    No, it won't help with weight loss. But it is a healthy choice, so if you like it, drink it :drinker:

(Add: it's healthy if you aren't adding extra stuff to it)
  • kayglaze
    kayglaze Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Green tea has wonderful health benefits but it is certainly not the weight loss cure. However I am quite certain it curves my appetite and helps cleanse my system. That being said, when I go on green tea streaks (yes I have times where I just must have it!) the scale drops by a pound or two. During those times, I drink about four 16oz cups a day. I wouldn't recommend doing that because I always get a headache at the beginning of my "streaks" from the caffeine overload. Tazo would have to be my favorite brand in terms of purity.
  • cfredz
    cfredz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    might not help with weight loss but helps with my stomach problems!
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    The only drink that I like hot is coffee. Is there a Green Tea pre-made drink that you can buy at a local convenience store. One that isn't fueled with sugar, but actually tastes good?