The doctor took me seriously :)

Options
I am so happy! After being on an 800 calorie a day diet (as the 1200 - 1500 calorie diet didn't work before that) for 6 weeks, all healthy fruit veg and lean protein, I have not seen any weight loss.
I wouldn't usually want to go this low but at 33 BMI, eating 'reasonably' and still gaining something needed to be done for the sake of my health.

Told all this to the doctor, showed her my diet and exercise diary and she said something looks like it could be wrong and I've had my blood taken today to search for thyroid and other issues. So lovely to be taken seriously because I have been rigorously measuring portions and not cheating the diet so understandably I was frustrated.

To be honest I am loving how healthy I feel eating fresh fish and chicken and salad, and my digestion is fanstastic now (sorry if tmi) but I would love to see some results.

Now I just have to wait and see what the results are! (hopefully something that is not serious and I can fix which means I can get to a reasonable weight and then up the calories a day to 1500!)

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I would hope most Dr's would take someone very seriously that said they couldn't lose weight on 800 calories...........little children and dogs eat more.
  • Sihaya8
    Sihaya8 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I know and like I said I didn't want to go that low, but feeling desperate, don't want to put into the morbidly obese category!!!! She told me to stay on it for a little while longer while we are waiting for the blood results and we can go from there. I will do as she said as I weighed myself again today and STILL NO CHANGE!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    What kind of doctor is that? Go see a nutritionist.
  • Sihaya8
    Options
    Just my GP. If the tests come back negative they will put me in touch with someone else but they want the blood test results first :)
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

They aren't licensed.
    You'd want a registered dietitian
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    800 calories sounds unsustainable. I'm thinking of lowering my weight loss goal because it's putting me at 1600, which is beginning to get too low for me to follow daily considering how active I am.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

They aren't licensed.

Bingo. Possibly also an endocrinologist to assess if there are any biochemical imbalances contributing to this problem. I'm glad your GP actually listened, though. Nothing is more frustrating/insulting than doing all the right things, seeing no results, and then being treated as if you are an idiot/liar when you try to seek advice to address the problem.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I have thyroid issues that got worse after my children. It completely bottomed out after each of them was born. Now I'm on a dose of thyroid daily and eat between 1200-1700 calories a day depending on my exercise. I've lost 54 pounds in the last year. My BMI is getting ready to dip to just overweight. Good luck!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    It really helps to be taken seriously. Know the feeling all to well.

hope all comes right very soon.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options

They aren't licensed.

Yep.
  • Sihaya8
    Options

They aren't licensed.

Bingo. Possibly also an endocrinologist to assess if there are any biochemical imbalances contributing to this problem. I'm glad your GP actually listened, though. Nothing is more frustrating/insulting than doing all the right things, seeing no results, and then being treated as if you are an idiot/liar when you try to seek advice to address the problem.

This is what I was so worried about, people do assume you are either lying or have no concept of calories. I am looking forward to hopefully resolving this, it is disheartening to try so hard and not get anywhere.
    Thanks for all the tips guys, it helps so much to know who I should be asking to see as I don't think an 800 calorie diet is something I could sustain for more than 3/4 months. I miss a good sandwich!
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I would hope most Dr's would take someone very seriously that said they couldn't lose weight on 800 calories...........little children and dogs eat more.

My one dog eats 4000 calories a day!
  • Sihaya8
    Options

I wish I was your dog today lol 4000 calories would be very welcome!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    One thing you might also want to look at is your intake of dietary fat...diets low in fat cause a great deal of hormone imbalance and can make weight loss very difficult. In RE to your blood work, hopefully it's just a vitamin deficiency or something and nothing worse.
  • dorkof82
    dorkof82 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    nothing worse than feeling like something is wrong and your doc blowing you off. thats what happened to me a couple years ago, but this last year i switched docs and this one was more open minded and compassionate to my concerns. as it turned out, i DO have a thyroid problem! So frustrating, i lost 2 years that i could have been getting treated but didnt, all because the other doctor was an idiot. i dont wish for you to have thyroid issues, but i do hope you find some resolve to whatever the problem may be
  • Sihaya8
    Options
    One thing you might also want to look at is your intake of dietary fat...diets low in fat cause a great deal of hormone imbalance and can make weight loss very difficult. In RE to your blood work, hopefully it's just a vitamin deficiency or something and nothing worse.

As far as fat i'm eating oily fish etc and occasionally low fat butter, could you explain this a bit more? Sorry to be dense but I didn't know this :)
  • Truegoddess22
    Truegoddess22 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Glad the doctor took you seriously! It sucks not being taken seriously or having your issues brushed off to the side. I'm trying to find a doctor now that will take me seriously and order some much needed bloodwork to check my hormone levels. I have PCOS and I need my hormones check to see why I'm not losing weight or at the most 5 lbs. Happy for you!
  • Sihaya8
    Options
    nothing worse than feeling like something is wrong and your doc blowing you off. thats what happened to me a couple years ago, but this last year i switched docs and this one was more open minded and compassionate to my concerns. as it turned out, i DO have a thyroid problem! So frustrating, i lost 2 years that i could have been getting treated but didnt, all because the other doctor was an idiot. i dont wish for you to have thyroid issues, but i do hope you find some resolve to whatever the problem may be

That seems to be where they are heading with this. I'm sorry it was 2 years before you found out, luckily this doc seems to be reasonable. If i'm honest i'm almost wishing for something to be wrong, it would be really upsetting I think if they couldn't work out what was wrong and i continued to gain weight even if im dieting, as i really dont want to be this big!
  • dorkof82
    dorkof82 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

That seems to be where they are heading with this. I'm sorry it was 2 years before you found out, luckily this doc seems to be reasonable. If i'm honest i'm almost wishing for something to be wrong, it would be really upsetting I think if they couldn't work out what was wrong and i continued to gain weight even if im dieting, as i really dont want to be this big!

thats almost EXACTLY what i was saying when it was happening to me, i of course didnt WANT my thyroid to be jacked but i wanted the answers, i wanted to know there was a fix, so in a way- i did want there to be a problem lol... so you posted on the 7th, its been almost a week- any results yet?
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options

OMG! What kind of dog and just how big is he/she?