Breast feeding and calories

Options
Does anyone else know the best way to balance calories while breast feeding? I'm pumping and feeding 5 week old twins and just this week have started to regain my own health. Anybody know any good suggestions. I know I need more than the 1300 calories they have me set up for.

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I think the rule of thumb is 500 extra, so set yourself to 1800-1900 per day.

PhD in breastology, licensed bikini inspector
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Yes, you would need more calories. I know that one nursing baby will burn 500 calories. I would think that twins would burn more. Have you asked your doctor? And, is there a LeLeche League close to you?
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    The 500 extra calories implies for single babies. In case of twins the suggestion is about 700 extra calories.

Personally I think a women with 5 weeks old twins should not focus on her weight at the moment. I suggest to eat healthy and as much as hunger dictates. There will be plenty of time to lose the weight, but surviving the first six months should be the focus now.
    Good luck!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    for twins that would be more like 1000 extra, as she'll be making twice as much milk (if exclusively breastfeeding both of them, if doing mixed feeding then 500 extra for twins would probably be about right). Two babies will take twice as much milk as one baby. The extra calories are what's needed to produce that milk. 2x the amount of milk = 2x the amount of calories to make that milk.

500 extra is an average for an exclusively breastfed baby. However bear in mind, that while exclusively breastfeeding, bigger babies usually take more milk than smaller babies, they take more during growth spurts and a 6 month old exclusively breastfed baby will take a lot more than a 1 month old exclusively breastfed baby.

Once the baby is starting to take solids, or if you're doing mixed feeding, then they will take less breastmilk.

It's really difficult to predict how much you need to eat while breastfeeding, but the above gives a general guide. If your milk supply drops, eat more. If you feel really hungry all the time, eat more. If you're not losing at all, eat less, but don't aim for more than about 1lb weight loss per week. Don't be afraid to adjust your calorie goal based on real world results, aiming for 1lb a week weight loss. Always keep an eye on your milk supply, and remember you'll need extra of all nutrients, including fat (especially fatty foods high in omega 3s) and also plenty of calcium, because a lot of the nutrients you eat will go into your milk, and you get what's left. So it's really important to eat nutritent dense foods from all the food groups. And drink plenty of water. dehydration dries up your milk supply much quicker than inadequate food intake will.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    The 500 extra calories implies for single babies. In case of twins the suggestion is about 700 extra calories.

Personally I think a women with 5 weeks old twins should not focus on her weight at the moment. I suggest to eat healthy and as much as hunger dictates. There will be plenty of time to lose the weight, but surviving the first six months should be the focus now.
    Good luck!

^^^ I would agree with that re not focusing on weight. And I also think that producing that much milk (if exclusively breastfeeding both babies it will be hard to eat enough to sustain that, and the OP will probably lose some of the weight without even trying. Just focus on getting plenty of nutrient dense foods, including all the food groups.
  • mandjwoods
    Options
    My doctor said that 1oz of breastmilk expelled from your body = about 20 calories burned. Most meal plans will tell you to eat at least 500 extra calories if you're breastfeeding. I just count my calories, try to exercise at least 30 minutes daily, eat good quality food, and try to stay under my recommended intake. My little boy is 3.5 months, and I do think the breastfeeding is helping with getting some of that leftover baby weight off. Slowly, but surely.
  • cjcolorado
    cjcolorado Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Good luck!

^^^ I would agree with that re not focusing on weight. And I also think that producing that much milk (if exclusively breastfeeding both babies it will be hard to eat enough to sustain that, and the OP will probably lose some of the weight without even trying. Just focus on getting plenty of nutrient dense foods, including all the food groups.

Also, from experience with my newborn twins, you are very likely getting very little sleep, and what you do get is broken. Between that, and balancing their needs (trying to soothe crying, etc.), your stress/cortisol level is probably fairly high. While the weight melted off of me while BFing my twins, some mid-section (pooch) held on, which is often related to cortisol levels. I'd agree with worrying less about calories than eating good amounts of healthy foods throughout the day, ensure you're drinking LOTS of water, and get as much rest as you can!

Also, now that mine are 7, I can say that it truly does get easier! The first year is a blur, but it only got better after that. Good luck!