My sweat's smelling like ammonia???

Options
A question for the experts out there. I'm heavily involved in the P90X routine (2nd round). After a tough workout I've got a distinctive ammonia smelling sweat going. I notice it and so does my wife. I've done a little reading but still have some questions around it.

Could this be symptomactic of Ketosis? I wouldn't think so cuz my ratios are around 45/35/20 (c/p/f). I don't think that's low carb enough for Ketosis. I have been getting headaches more often than I'd like, so idk...

I'm taking in what's considered high protein by some, but since I'm trying to gain weight now my recommended cal intake is around 2500, which naturally puts my protein intake at around 200 - which is more than the max 1g per pound rule (I currently weight about 149lbs). So, it's not too MUCH protein, right?

My water intake (which is not just straight water - don't try to sell me on the idea that straight water is required over other fluids, I don't buy it) is not high like some people, but I go by the rule of trying be "clear and copious" at least once or twice a day. And that is happening. Granted sometimes it's definitely not "clear & copious" either - hours after it was. So could that be it?

Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    More water is not a bad idea, you may even consider something like gatorade while you are working out to balance your electrolytes. Just a thought.
  • Cawen
    Cawen Posts: 8
    Options
    You could try the pee test (with Ketostix, which measure the ketone level in your urine) which can tell you where you are. Exercise can lower your blood sugar, so you could be in ketosis even though you're eating carbs. When I'm in ketosis my pee often has an ammonia-like smell.

Agree on the electrolytes, if you're sweating hard you need to replace them. I use Pedialyte myself.

Caroline
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    OK, so I'll have to try these - pee on a stick and drink back electrolytes, got it.

Thanks
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I am glad somebody posted about this, because if I do a hard training session on my treadmill, I get a really strong smell of ammonia - actually I might go and google that on the net in a mo.

I, too, wondered what it was......
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Okies, just googled and found this below:
    Ketosis
    You have ketosis, just like the people on the Atkins diet, without the weight-loss benefits. Congratulations.

When the body burns fats, it produces ketones, which smell like ammonia. It's supposed to further burn those ketones down into carbon dioxide and water, but it can't always do that.

One reason for that is that you may not be eating enough carbohydrates. The body uses carbs to burn the ketones. Not enough carbs means insufficient energy available to burn the ketones, so they get out into your bloodstream and eventually into your lungs and sweat, where you can smell them. Eat some baked potatoes and see if it gets any better.

Alternatively, it may indicate a problem with carbohydrate metabolism. Drinking too much can do that to you. So can diabetes. So if a couple of extra servings of pasta per week don't solve the problem, you'd better get your liver to the doctor for a few blood tests.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Glad I did a search, because I have noticed this the last 2 days with a long cardio workout. I eat enough carbs (50%), but maybe I just haven't had enough yet in the day when I work out. I usually don't notice the ammonia smell until later in my workout, so maybe I run out of carbs in my bloodstream after a certain time frame.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    couple of quickies with this particular subject. If you're eating enough carbs that you don't think you should be in ketosis, and your sweat only smells that way after a really hard workout, it may be the meals you are eating right before the workout. Try to make sure you give yourself enough carbs about 1.5 to 2 hours before the workout, so your body has enough stored glycogen to get you through and doesn't require protein to make up some of the energy difference. Remember, you don't need a lot of protein before you work out, that won't help very much, as you aren't rebuilding and repairing muscle before you work out, save much of your protein for after the workout.

Also, those ketone strips (CVS sells them in the US) are a great suggestion. Although it seems odd to me that someone with 45% of their calories coming from carbs is having this issue, could there be something up with your kidneys? Every had problems in the past? Or any symptoms of kidney issues?