Go to healthy breakfasts and lunches...

Options
I'm needing some ideas for some healthy breakfasts and lunches. I work 12 hour days and travel 30-40 minutes to and from work, so i'm leaving the house at 6:30 and not usually getting home until 6:30 or 7, so it's hard to come up with yummy healhty breakfasts and lunches because it's usually easy to just grab something frozen instead of making something. I usually have just a piece of fruit for breakfast (or tacos if my students bring me breakfast...so yummy yet so bad!) and then I usually do a lean hot pocket or go out to lunch.

Any suggestions on breakfasts and lunches that are healthy, easy, and that I can make? :)

Replies

• sarahhnash
    Options
    I really like Gardenburger and Morningstar burgers. Have them with an oroweat thin bun or bagel and a slice of low fat cheese and it's only about 250 kcal and pretty filling:)
  • jmmbc
    jmmbc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Instant oatmeal, just add hot water!
  • jcat61
    jcat61 Posts: 1
    Options
    For breakfast try a whole wheat english muffin - 150 calories - with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter - 95 calories and a piece of friut. Lunch try thin sliced turkey and tomato wrapped in a piece of lettuce...sometimes I add a piece of fruit as well.
  • FelipaJ
    FelipaJ Posts: 71
    Options
    Oatmeal...quick and easy.
    You can cook egg whites in the microwave in about 44-60 seconds.

I like smoothies, but those take more then 2 minutes to make :(
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I get thomas whole wheat bagel thins..110 cals, with some light cream cheese.. Add a piece of fruit with it. :)
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I love apple cinnamon oatmeal in the morning with a lil' bit of applesauce added to it and cut up an apple and put in my oatmeal! its healthy and tastes like apple crisp..... for breakfast!! love it!!!! :blushing:
  • cherylpoitevent
    cherylpoitevent Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    A few thoughts :)

Can you make your lunch the night before?

Can you cook large meals on Sunday to take with you throughout the week?

How about a large salad with lots of veggies and a few chicken breast cut up for protein? You can separate it for meals throughout the week (or at least a few days). Us a light vinnegrette (am I spelling that right?)

Do you have a mini fridge at work or do you have access to a refrigerator at work where you can leave food? Take some healthy snacks such as carrot sticks, cucumbers, tomatos that you can munch on throughout the day.

Starting off with Fruit is a great option, but be sure to get a little protein in to help keep you full and energized... if you like eggs, boil enough for the week on Sunday and take one with you every morning to go along with your fruit.

Try to drink plenty of water throughout the day. Also, if you are going to go out for lunch, be sure to check the menu before you go. That way you can keep your calories in check!

I hope this helps... :)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I *try* to make a big meal on Sunday for my weekday lunches. This week I made turkey chili, and I got some light sour cream to keep in the fridge at work. Another go-to for me is chicken curry with brown rice.
  • wellness1
    wellness1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I make oatmeal with soymilk or almond milk and a tablespoon of natural peanut butter. Keeps me satisfied for 3 hours! The protein helps.
  • danasignaturesvc
    Options
    If you have a microwave or access to super hot water, I enjoy old fashioned oatmeal with a tsp. of raw sugar almost daily at the office. For lunch, I can bake a potato (no butter or margarine, just salt and pepper or add ketchup if you like). If you have a place to keep cold foods, the opportunity to pack your own creation is probably a good idea, that way you can control the amount of calories you want in your favorite meal.

Carbs feed your brain and provide you with a lot of energy to get you through the day. Whole grains take longer to digest than processed or fast food.

You can do it :)
  • claire0928
    claire0928 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been into breakfast burritos. I quickly scrabble two egg whites with some frozen chopped peppers and onions, put some 2% pepperjack cheese on my carb lite tortilla and then add some salsa. Only takes me about 7min and keeps me full till lunch! (I never have time for mid-morning snacks)

I also like the english muffin sandwiches too or oatmeal with mixed dried berries. Easy and good!
  • Leekc926
    Options
    I usually make a frittata on Sundays. They're simple, decently healthy and they reheat well. (I usually have a slice a day for that week)
    for 1 frittata you'll need the following:

12 eggs
    1/3 cup water
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    Pinch salt
    1 T Olive Oil
    1/2 cup chopped bell peppers*
    1/2 cup chopped country ham*
    1 cup Shredded Cheese*
    1-ounce Parmesan, grated*

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
    Saute peppers and ham in an OVEN SAFE skillet. Set aside and let cool. Mix eggs and water together in a medium to large mixing bowl. Heat the skillet you used for the peppers/ham with the olive oil. Mix the peppers,ham and cheese into the eggs and then pour into hot OVEN SAFE skillet. Cook on Medium heat for several minutes, pulling the sides towards the middle to allow new eggs behind the old. After approximately 5 minutes on the stove, place skillet into the oven for 12-15 minutes or until the middle is no longer "giggly". Let cool slightly before serving, or let cool completely before refrigerating.

* Fillers are optional and can be substituted for something else if you prefer. Bacon and Spinach is also a good choice for this dish.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I normally have Shakeology for breakfast (it has 70+ ingredients and tastes like a chocolate milkshake). Sometimes I mix in almond milk or a banana.

As far as lunches I buy the fake meat Chicken patties, Black bean burgers, buffalo wings type foods (no cholesterol, low sodium, tons of protein=guilt free) and eat them with raw vegetables (usually a salad) and an apple. Raw foods are incredible good for losing weight, the more raw you can eat the better!

***I try to buy organic produce where I can because certain pesticides/herbicides have been found to cause weight gain (and we are all here to avoid that!)***

-Chancy
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I usually have a salad every day for lunch but put different veggies and protein in it to make it different day by day. This is all prepared the night before because I leave early as well. Some days I will just have lettuce, cucumber, fresh cilantro and tomato . . . the next day I'll have lettuce, cucumber, peppers (different colors), and grated carrot for example. I tend to make pan fulls of chicken breasts to slice thinly for my salads and my husbands sandwiches as we don't purchase any processed food including lunchmeat (so sorry, don't get me started on the lean pockets discussion), or throw in 2 hard boiled eggs or a few oz of fresh shrimp into my daily salads.

My husband chows down a grapefruit before he leaves, then eats some flax toast with natural peanut butter, or a homemade "eggwich" on a whole wheat english muffin while driving to work . . . the egg takes 1:10 in the microwave so it really fast!

I take the time after dinner each evening to prepare our lunches for the next day. I have found that we have only been successful with our health since I've taken the time to PLAN, PLAN, PLAN. It does not come easy and you cannot just "grab" convenient food and eat healthy at the same time.

The more you plan and prepare the more you will see success. Find things that you like that you can prepare ahead of time or are quick.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I usually make a frittata on Sundays. They're simple, decently healthy and they reheat well. (I usually have a slice a day for that week)
    for 1 frittata you'll need the following:

12 eggs
    1/3 cup water
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    Pinch salt
    1 T Olive Oil
    1/2 cup chopped bell peppers*
    1/2 cup chopped country ham*
    1 cup Shredded Cheese*
    1-ounce Parmesan, grated*

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
    Saute peppers and ham in an OVEN SAFE skillet. Set aside and let cool. Mix eggs and water together in a medium to large mixing bowl. Heat the skillet you used for the peppers/ham with the olive oil. Mix the peppers,ham and cheese into the eggs and then pour into hot OVEN SAFE skillet. Cook on Medium heat for several minutes, pulling the sides towards the middle to allow new eggs behind the old. After approximately 5 minutes on the stove, place skillet into the oven for 12-15 minutes or until the middle is no longer "giggly". Let cool slightly before serving, or let cool completely before refrigerating.

* Fillers are optional and can be substituted for something else if you prefer. Bacon and Spinach is also a good choice for this dish.

Hey, this is my Sunday morning ritual as well . . . so good . . . but since I share there is nothing left over for the rest of the week, sigh!
  • daniraebug
    daniraebug Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Plan plan Plan is what is going to help you out the most. Go grocrey shopping on Sunday and when you are putting things away put them in baggies and make things as easy to grab and go as possible,. I have done this for my husband before and it really helps. I've fallen out of the habit and it makes it really hard. Other things you can makre are Stuffed green peppers with ground turkey, and then place them in baggies or contaniers and reheat at work.
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I love hard boiled eggs, they are easy and keep me filled. I add a piece of fruit to that and I'm all set. For lunch, I usually make a huge bowl of salad so I'll have enough to keep me going for a few days, and add everything I can think of. Salads never used to fill me up, but I find if I add lots of variety to them, they keep me going! Today I had one with sugar snap peas, carrots, chick peas, avocado slices, and cherry tomatoes. Maybe have some yogurt and granola too!

L.
  • nam14uk
    nam14uk Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    These are all such great ideas. In the morning if I have time I eat a healthy breakfast cereal, add 5 almonds, chopped banana with fat free yoghurt. Fills me up all morning!
  • crissi66
    Options
    I work alot of hours too.

my go to lunches are lean cuisines. i know people say they are higher in sodium but im out of the house for 14-15 hours a day.
    i usually add a salad or yougart to that and im pretty satisfied

my go to for breakfast are the eggo nutrigrain blueberry waffle. 2 waffles are 180 calories and instead of syrup i use just a little bit of low fat strawberry cream cheese which is only 70 calories for 2 tblsp.