weight loss confusion

Options
So for the past month-ish I have been using this site. I've been tracking my food/calories and exercise. The thing is... I'm not really losing as much weight as the site anticipates. I've lost 4 pounds but it says I should have lost a lot more according to the amount of calories I take in and how many I burn the site says. I have a fairly active job and the days that I work I'm on average about 600 under my calorie goal. Normally I burn about 800 calories the days I work. So my question is: why am I not losing more? I'm getting so frustrated I can't even tell you! Help someone!

Natalie

Replies

• therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I can't see your food diary to check, but it sounds like you simply are not eating enough. It may sound counter-intuitive, but if you don't eat enough your body goes into "starvation mode" wherein it doesn't allow itself to lose weight because it fears that it will need those fat/muscle stores for fuel because you aren't eathing enough daily to fuel yourself.

You said yourself " I'm on average about 600 under my calorie goal." Can you clarify? Are you eating all your calories that MFP tells you to? Are you also eating your exercise calories? You have to AT LEAST eat your daily calorie goal, if not also at least some of the exercise calories.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I cant see your diary but it sounds like you arent eating enough. Eat more fiber, protein and healthy fats. Cutting out calories isnt the only part of losing weight.

Also if you've been using the site for a month and have lost 4 lbs it sounds like you are progressing at a healthy 1lb per week. Be patient and let your body adjust to losing weight.
  • nutech
    nutech Posts: 11
    Options
    My calorie goal WAS 1500 before I kicked it down to 1320. When it was 1500 I was usually eating my calorie goal and maybe a hundred or two of the calories that I burned from exercise.

Should I not have decreased my calorie goal?
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you have already done so, but you could consider setting yourself to "sedentary" and then adding in your daily activities to get a more accurate picture. Also, I have noticed that many people on this site have invested in a heart rate monitor to get a better picture of their burn. Something else to consider is portion sizing--sometimes this can be tricky, so weigh and measure to ensure that your calorie count is correct.
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal WAS 1500 before I kicked it down to 1320. When it was 1500 I was usually eating my calorie goal and maybe a hundred or two of the calories that I burned from exercise.

Should I not have decreased my calorie goal?

Why don't you fill out the form and let MFP figure out what your calorie goal should be?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    When you say you are 600 calories under your calorie goal, is that 600 below the 1320, you state you set you calorie at, if thats the case, you aren't eating enough, and your body has probably gone into starvation mode, hence causing you to not lose any weight.
  • nutech
    nutech Posts: 11
    Options
    I redid my goal. It was one pound a week but then I changed it to one and a half
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    If you are pretty active you may need to consider:
    -water, up you consumption
    - eating any processed food? Give it up completely!
    -eat MORE to lose more (healthy "clean" food that is)
    -have a BIG breakfast and lunch and a small dinner, do not eat at least 2-3 hours before bed

It does sound weird, but you actually need to eat more . . . sounds like you are just not getting enough. I have a sedentary job so am set at 1200 calories. Days I exercise (off days I just walk the dogs so am not counting that) I need to eat at least 1400-1500 or the scale just won't budge.