Protein. How much is necessary

Options
MFP tells me I need 53 when I do not exercise. Do you think this is high/low/good?

DISCUSS!

Replies

• paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    In short, probably too low, and probably less than half of optimal (not sure what your weight/BF% is, so I cannot give an exact number).

Longer answer, read these :wink: A bit lengthy, but lots of great information and no point in me redoing it for this post.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/823505-research-on-protien-intake
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    1-1.5 grams per pound of body weight. Simple.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options

Not exactly that simple...
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    MFP tells me I need 53 when I do not exercise. Do you think this is high/low/good?

DISCUSS!

I custom changed mine. If you think your number is not right for you then do some research, chose a number that you feel comfortable with, and then change it :)
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

There is no way 118-177 grams of protein would be appropriate for me, going by this calculation. Way to high.
  • pittsjg
    pittsjg Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I always go high when it come to protein, now there is many suggestions as to what amount is "needed". The link the paleojoe posted is from bodyrecomposition.com, seriously worth reading, great suggestion, that is real information posted and available for free.

A simpler way to look at is how much protein do I want, especially when operating on a calorie deficit?

Well first lets absolutely get the minimum, based on your goals. From there protein has something else going for it, it is the most filling! Imagine the calories you can get from eating steak, chicken, fish and then look at the same amount of calories eating bread, fruit, or sweets. The protein has the most bang for the buck calorie wise, keeping you full the longest. So when on a calorie deficit, wouldn't you rather be full vs hungry? I would. I hate being hungry, sitting around hungry sucks.

Extra protein will not hurt you or magically turn to fat either (as long as your not eating a surplus of calories per day, of course).

That's how I see it anyway, always learning
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    There is no easy answers with alot of conflicting studies.
    In one corner there are registered dieticians who recommend
    1 gram of protein per kg of body weight for elite athletes
    For normal women 50 g, for normal men 63g
    10 - 15% of total calories

In the other corner there is the supplement pushers and broscience folks
    2 grams of protein per pound

Remember that alot of supplement pushers want studies to say to use our supplement. Many bodybuilders got their science about protein intake ideas for drug users (steroids and growth hormones).

Lyle tends to error on the side of too much protein. There are other studies that show it has a negative effect long term.

I suggest you read the Q&A area of this website (registered dietician) on protein intake
    http://www.dietitian.com/protein.html

I personally think total calories are far more important for mass building or cutting. I do about 1.2g per kg of body weight protein intake.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options

There is no way 118-177 grams of protein would be appropriate for me, going by this calculation. Way to high.

OK. stick with your measly 53 grams of protein. Im sure the muscles will be busting through your shirts in no time. pfffft.