Tampa Bar, FL Friends

Options
Hey There!
I currently live in the Tampa Bay, FL area and am looking for some friends to hang out with in real life (vs. online). I've been on this weight loss/get fit journey for over a year now, but keep getting stalled. During the periods of time that I am dedicated to weight loss and getting physically fit, I usually stay home on the weekends, staying away from my friends that are not into this and are into drinking it up and having a great time. Well, the problem is, I can only stay in this dedicated phase for so long before I get bored and lonely and want to go out. I then switch to a phase of going out with my friends, partying it up, drinking too often, and eating bad food as a result. I need to find a compromise of staying dedicated to my health, but still getting out and socializing with some people. I thought that maybe I could find some people on here in my area who like socializing, but it doesn't have to be all about drinking. I like to go to movies, museums, plays, the beach, all kinds of stuff, but am having a hard time finding friends that like to do the same instead of in a bar drinking all the time.

Anyways, if you're in the Tampa Bar area and are looking for someone new to hang out with who is also on this weight loss/physically fit journey, hit me up and maybe we can develop some kind of friendship. I still have a ways to go until I accomplish my goals, but nothing says I can't have fun while trying to get there, right? :smile:

Replies

• Inspired30
    Inspired30 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I just moved from Florida. It is a great place for biking, swimming and running really early or late when its not 100 out :) Good luck!
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I live in Brandon, FL, and recently, I noticed my bar activity was getting too frequent, and my weight loss was not so frequent as a result. It's tough to find a balance between the party lifestyle, and the healthy lifestyle. Had to take a break from the bar scene.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I live in Brandon, FL, and recently, I noticed my bar activity was getting too frequent, and my weight loss was not so frequent as a result. It's tough to find a balance between the party lifestyle, and the healthy lifestyle. Had to take a break from the bar scene.

Former Brandonite checking in.
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm in Clearwater, FL. I've lived here very briefly and its made it hard to make friends however I have had some luck with the free app MeetUp on you smartphone - you can search activities and it links you up with people who have similar interests as you.

For instance I like running - so I got on the app and it has linked me up with Running for Brews (now that's a healthy balance of drinking and physical activity :) )

You can also find SUP groups, roller blading groups, craft groups, and social groups who just like to go out

I've made friends with this app... you just can't be too shy to go to something new alone and try it!

Feel free to add me!
  • vegtabully
    vegtabully Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm in St. Pete. I'll be working in Tampa starting next month. I have a hard time making friends because I'm pretty quiet, and I'm married with a 1 yr old. I do fun runs once a week with Fit2Run, and I love to go skating (indoor or out). I also enjoy just going for walks or to the mall. Anyway, there's me if any of that interests you :)
  • Sooze_1975
    Sooze_1975 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm in Clearwater, FL. I've lived here very briefly and its made it hard to make friends however I have had some luck with the free app MeetUp on you smartphone - you can search activities and it links you up with people who have similar interests as you.

For instance I like running - so I got on the app and it has linked me up with Running for Brews (now that's a healthy balance of drinking and physical activity :) )

You can also find SUP groups, roller blading groups, craft groups, and social groups who just like to go out

I've made friends with this app... you just can't be too shy to go to something new alone and try it!

Feel free to add me!

Thanks for the tip on the smartphone app, I'll check it out!!
  • silverstardust
    silverstardust Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hey Sooz,

Just sent you a friend request. :D

I am in S. Tampa but I venture all over hoping to meet positive friends who have the same drive and outlook that I do...
    I gave up the partying a while back and just decided to do this for me. But, like you, I do get bored and lonely too.

I skate, do yoga, dance fitness and play disc golf 4-5 days a week...I'm game for any new adventure too! You are welcome to join me if you'd like to try an activity "outside of the box".

~april :)
  • silverstardust
    silverstardust Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hey Tampa area people,

I started a private, free group on FB for skaters in the Tampa Bay area...we are looking for active, positive members: https://www.facebook.com/groups/578323722202807/

~stardust (april) :)
  • Jackie_XOXOXO
    Jackie_XOXOXO Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hey There!
    I currently live in the Tampa Bay, FL area and am looking for some friends to hang out with in real life (vs. online). I've been on this weight loss/get fit journey for over a year now, but keep getting stalled. During the periods of time that I am dedicated to weight loss and getting physically fit, I usually stay home on the weekends, staying away from my friends that are not into this and are into drinking it up and having a great time. Well, the problem is, I can only stay in this dedicated phase for so long before I get bored and lonely and want to go out. I then switch to a phase of going out with my friends, partying it up, drinking too often, and eating bad food as a result. I need to find a compromise of staying dedicated to my health, but still getting out and socializing with some people. I thought that maybe I could find some people on here in my area who like socializing, but it doesn't have to be all about drinking. I like to go to movies, museums, plays, the beach, all kinds of stuff, but am having a hard time finding friends that like to do the same instead of in a bar drinking all the time.

Anyways, if you're in the Tampa Bar area and are looking for someone new to hang out with who is also on this weight loss/physically fit journey, hit me up and maybe we can develop some kind of friendship. I still have a ways to go until I accomplish my goals, but nothing says I can't have fun while trying to get there, right? :smile:

I kind of understand how you feel. I always feel like the fat girl of the group. But needless to say, I enjoy the latin night scene and so do my friends. I go out once in a while and dance my butt offf. Instead of getting a drink i get a bottle of water and keep it moving. When the night ends and they decide they want to go out to the afterhours to eat I take myself home. I still hang with my friends even if they are not on the same journey as me. They all respect my decision and even encourage me.
    So just make wiser decisions when you do go out. But it does not mean you need to stay in isolation just cause you are on a get fit and healthy journey and your friends are not. Hope this helps :) Im also in Tampa