What is a meat that doesn't need a lot of salt/seasoning?

Options

Replies

• climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    salmon
    you don't even need to cook it!

haha

(i'm a sushi/sashimi fanatic)
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    there is none, meat is inherently bland w/the exception of wild game but that too will taste bland if that is all you eat.

I was thinking that too...you don't need salt to season meat though. We use 'green seasoning' (google west indian green seasoning for recipes) as a base & add other spices as needed.

Using things like anatto, tumeric, chiles, curries etc. can make a well seasoned meat if you're looking to not add salt.
    Think herbs & spices. Also, not sure of the sodium content, but consider using vinegar based marinades, bitters also makes a good addition :drinker:
  • JamericanBoy
    JamericanBoy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    BACON!!!!!!

duh.....
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I like most meats without (or with) seasoning, as long as they aren't very low in fat. 99% fat free anything is pretty tasteless.

Edited to add: shellfish may be naturally high in salt, but things like shrimp and scallops are low fat and delicious without salt.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    If you purchase free range and or grass fed meats, they have more flavor overall. You will pay more per pound, but if you are eating correct portions and not throwing out anything, it evens out in the end.

If I cook fish, I will just grill it or saute it in some olive oil and then squeeze a lime or a lemon over the top.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I don't season most of my meats because I don't like salt. My favorite is filet steak and ground bison to make burgers.

Pretty much, you want to look for fatty meats (fat is where the flavor is) or wild game (which is, oddly, rarely fatty).
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    BACON!!!!!!

duh.....
    THIS! YUM! Seriously though... I eat a lot of chicken and sometimes eat it without seasonings, but I usually use Sodium Free Ms. Dash.... it kicks it up a little.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Many (not all) folks report that simply abstaining from the salt and seasonings for a while makes a person's taste buds better able to appreciate the 'subtleties' of the flavors of meats and other unaltered foods. I know my mother and my sister rarely apply extra seasonings to most of their foods, for example.

This. I had to cut out a lot of sodium about 5 years ago. I use a lot of dried herbs in my cooking. I don't salt any meat, and I can't tell the difference.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

Por que?

For health reasons, I need to not eat a lot of salt.

Thanks for the tips and links. I'll try them.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options

Por que?

Look up the DASH diet. Recipe Books are available online: http://dashdiet.org/look_inside_the_book.asp
  • Pace29
    Pace29 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've found Bison/buffalo meat and salmon taste great w/o adding any seasoning!
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I've found Bison/buffalo meat and salmon taste great w/o adding any seasoning!

Agree@Buffalo Meat.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    WTF?

Any meat tastes awesome without any seasoning.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Hot dogs.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    rib-eye steak

Concur.

Two important factors here: fat content and how long you cook the meat. More fat generally means more flavor and less need for seasoning. If you start with little fat or if you cook the meat till all the fat is gone, you're going to need more seasoning.

... droooooool .... <3 rib-eyes
  • arghbowl
    Options

Por que?

Thanks for the tips and links. I'll try them.

Try making your own spice rubs. That way you can completely eliminate salt.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    rib-eye steak

Correct.
  • arghbowl
    Options
    Hot dogs.

Here comes the space ship... OPEN WIDE OR RUN AND HIDE!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Mrs Dash seasoning mixes are salt-free, btw. Pretty good and easy.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    You can use a ton of spices without using salt. Stuff like basil, thyme, rosemary, paprika, garlic, dill, cumin, cayenne, etc etc. are great. Just don't buy premixed blends because they usually have a lot of salt. The fresh or pure dried, though? Go nuts.