What to do for shakiness/hunger?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Well, the only way to answer this question is to get a finger-stick glucose when someone is so hungry that they are "shaking."

I would bet that their glucose is just fine.

It's daft to assume that there is regular hunger and "shaking" hunger.

Stop, stop, stop.

Right now you are talking to someone who is not and has never been either obese or a binge eater of any kind. And I can tell you there is a difference between feeling a bit hungry and feeling shaky and light-headed from hunger. The former means you should probably eat soonish, but whenever. The latter means you need something pretty quickly.

When I get that shaky hunger, I can't concentrate, I get dizzy and if I don't eat quickly, I get a migraine. I've never tested my glucose levels and I don't see any reason to. I just know how to listen to my body's signals that it needs food. And while I could probably live a few weeks or even months on fat stores, that doesn't mean I don't need to eat every day.

So just stop it. The OP needed to eat more. Not a lot more. Not a binge. Just a sall, protein/carb snack to tide her over to her next meal. I just don't get why you are SO against that.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Stop, stop, stop.

Right now you are talking to someone who is not and has never been either obese or a binge eater of any kind. And I can tell you there is a difference between feeling a bit hungry and feeling shaky and light-headed from hunger. The former means you should probably eat soonish, but whenever. The latter means you need something pretty quickly.

When I get that shaky hunger, I can't concentrate, I get dizzy and if I don't eat quickly, I get a migraine. I've never tested my glucose levels and I don't see any reason to. I just know how to listen to my body's signals that it needs food. And while I could probably live a few weeks or even months on fat stores, that doesn't mean I don't need to eat every day.

So just stop it. The OP needed to eat more. Not a lot more. Not a binge. Just a sall, protein/carb snack to tide her over to her next meal. I just don't get why you are SO against that.

THIS^^

I have had this happen to me. It is not every meal, it is not every day. It is just when my calorie intake has been too low and when I have gone too long since eating. (Not including overnight) An example of when this happens is when I have had a low calorie day before, then i do not get breakfast, and if I don't get anything by noon this is likely to happen, especially if I have been doing something, anything other than sitting on the couch. My symptoms progress through: mental dullness, weakness, dizziness, a wave of cold sweat, nausea, seeing stars like on the edge of passing out. If I still do not get any food at that point, my mind and body are at a point of such fatigue and dullness that it is difficult to even make myself move. A few times I have had to ask someone to get me something to eat because I was incapable.

This is not made up, and it is not about 'learning how to be a little hungry'. It is a real physical effect of your body not having enough energy to call on.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Well, then you should see a doctor. And you SHOULD get your glucose checked when that happens, just to reassure yourself that it is normal. Now, you can go into a Walgreen's and get one for maybe 10 dollars.
    And I am assuming you are not confusing being hungry from being thirsty. Everyone should drink plenty of water.
    There is something called McArdle's syndrome, where the body has trouble breaking down the stored glycogen into glucose. It is a rare bird but out there in a few people.
    What we are concerned with is glucose levels, not the psychological anxiety that goes along with not having a full stomach.
    Most of the carbohydrates consumed wind up as glucose in the blood- about 95%.
    Assuming there is no more consumption of glucose, the free glucose is used up in a few hours, and then glycogen, the stored form of glucose, begins to be broken down into glucose, and used for fuel by the cells.
    The average person has enough stored glycogen to last for 12-24 hours.
    As the glucose is being maintained by the glycogen (at low-NORMAL levels) a series of hormone changes starts whereby fat is mobilized from adipose tissue to be used as fuel. As the brain uses glucose for fuel exclusively (except in extreme states), over hundreds of million of years a mechanism was evolved for the body to MANUFACTURE ITS OWN GLUCOSE.
    This is called gluconeogenisis and non-essential protein is broken down to use for glucose's manufacture.
    This is why people can fast for days and weeks consuming nothing but water.

Now, if you are not overweight, then I am not talking to you. You can eat whatever you want and describe different hunger stages as you see them and rreact accordingly.

But if you ARE overweight, and want to lose weight, and have no other medical problems, then you should not get sucked in by the "eat to maintain my glucose" mantra that is JUST PLAIN WRONG.

BTW, wasn't there a third-year medical student who posted on this? This would be a great issue for them to present to a physiology professor and see what they think.
    You, my dear sir, are something that I won't say here because while it would be worth the strike, I don't really like getting those PMs.

So instead, I will simply put you on ignore so I don't have to read your ridiculous drivel anymore.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Well, then you should see a doctor. And you SHOULD get your glucose checked when that happens, just to reassure yourself that it is normal. Now, you can go into a Walgreen's and get one for maybe 10 dollars.
    And I am assuming you are not confusing being hungry from being thirsty. Everyone should drink plenty of water.
    There is something called McArdle's syndrome, where the body has trouble breaking down the stored glycogen into glucose. It is a rare bird but out there in a few people.
    What we are concerned with is glucose levels, not the psychological anxiety that goes along with not having a full stomach.
    Most of the carbohydrates consumed wind up as glucose in the blood- about 95%.
    Assuming there is no more consumption of glucose, the free glucose is used up in a few hours, and then glycogen, the stored form of glucose, begins to be broken down into glucose, and used for fuel by the cells.
    The average person has enough stored glycogen to last for 12-24 hours.
    As the glucose is being maintained by the glycogen (at low-NORMAL levels) a series of hormone changes starts whereby fat is mobilized from adipose tissue to be used as fuel. As the brain uses glucose for fuel exclusively (except in extreme states), over hundreds of million of years a mechanism was evolved for the body to MANUFACTURE ITS OWN GLUCOSE.
    This is called gluconeogenisis and non-essential protein is broken down to use for glucose's manufacture.
    This is why people can fast for days and weeks consuming nothing but water.

Now, if you are not overweight, then I am not talking to you. You can eat whatever you want and describe different hunger stages as you see them and rreact accordingly.

But if you ARE overweight, and want to lose weight, and have no other medical problems, then you should not get sucked in by the "eat to maintain my glucose" mantra that is JUST PLAIN WRONG.

BTW, wasn't there a third-year medical student who posted on this? This would be a great issue for them to present to a physiology professor and see what they think.

I'd love to hear about your educational and professional background.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Just a side note; at least here in the states, the meters are dirt cheap, but the test strips cost a fortune. I'm having low blood sugars, so I bought a machine for $20. Test strips? $150. Sucks. But, I'm consistently having low blood sugars and the doctor is currently running blood tests to identify the problem.

So, I think testing can be worth it, and if you are having low blood sugars, I'd suggest seeing a doctor. I also increased how much I was eating. I'm also not allowed to drive if my blood sugar is below 90 (per my doctor) unless I eat a snack first. It can be dangerous to drive if you blood sugar is plummeting.
  • madaleingericke
    madaleingericke Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Next time, grab a teaspoonful of honey and eat it slowly. Work every time.
  • erinn1977
    erinn1977 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That happens to me too and it happens when I don't enough food or I eat too much sugar/carbs. I find when I reduce my carb and sugar intake it balances out in a week or 2 and stops happening. GL!
  • rml_16
    Options
    Just a side note; at least here in the states, the meters are dirt cheap, but the test strips cost a fortune. I'm having low blood sugars, so I bought a machine for $20. Test strips? $150. Sucks. But, I'm consistently having low blood sugars and the doctor is currently running blood tests to identify the problem.

So, I think testing can be worth it, and if you are having low blood sugars, I'd suggest seeing a doctor. I also increased how much I was eating. I'm also not allowed to drive if my blood sugar is below 90 (per my doctor) unless I eat a snack first. It can be dangerous to drive if you blood sugar is plummeting.
    Worth it if it's a chronic problem and eating a small snack doesn't help. But if the problem is clearly that you just didn't eat enouh or ate the wrong thing, then thee's no reason to do this.

For example, I know if I'm hungry and I eat a piece of cake and nothing else, it's going to cause me to not feel well. But if I eat nutritional, "real" food and then eat a piece of cake, I do not have that problem. So I generally avoid eating cake on an empty stomach.

And if I do eat that piece of cake and don't feel well, eating some healthy, "real" food solves that problem.

Why would I spend $170 on blood glucose testing products when I know this by years and years of simply being alive?
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Eat.

And get a medical. PROFESSIONAL advice is always best.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    well, having read a few posts of Steve, I think he talks a lot of sense and he comes across as someone very knowledgeable. My own knowledge is that unless you are diabetic, pre-diabetic (in which case you might suffer a huge drop in blood sugar several hours folliwing a large high carb meal) or have some other medical illness....some kind person in a previous post listed the majority (although I question the "fasting" reason) it is highly unlikely that a morbidly obese person is going to suffer a hypoglycaemic episode from a reduction in her daily calorie intake. So, OP! my advice to you (and anyone else who this might appky to) is seek medical advice and either ask for a random capillary blood sugar or a full glucose tolerance test...that will sort it out :smile:
  • auddii
    Options

Worth it if it's a chronic problem and eating a small snack doesn't help. But if the problem is clearly that you just didn't eat enouh or ate the wrong thing, then thee's no reason to do this.

For example, I know if I'm hungry and I eat a piece of cake and nothing else, it's going to cause me to not feel well. But if I eat nutritional, "real" food and then eat a piece of cake, I do not have that problem. So I generally avoid eating cake on an empty stomach.

And if I do eat that piece of cake and don't feel well, eating some healthy, "real" food solves that problem.

Why would I spend $170 on blood glucose testing products when I know this by years and years of simply being alive?
    Very true, I tried upping my calories first. However, to not get low blood sugar, I have to eat 2500-3000 calories a day, and I'm gaining at that level, so it's not sustainable. But, I'm a rare case, and hopefully the doctor can figure out what is wrong with me.

Most people don't have this issue and may have problems if they are eating too little, too many simple carbs at once, or not eating often enough (varies person to person; I usually need snacks, others don't).

Definitely try the easy fixes first. If it doesn't work, then consider seeing a doctor and testing.
  • chatogal
    Options
    Just a side note; at least here in the states, the meters are dirt cheap, but the test strips cost a fortune. I'm having low blood sugars, so I bought a machine for $20. Test strips? $150. Sucks. But, I'm consistently having low blood sugars and the doctor is currently running blood tests to identify the problem. So, I think testing can be worth it, and if you are having low blood sugars, I'd suggest seeing a doctor. I also increased how much I was eating. I'm also not allowed to drive if my blood sugar is below 90 (per my doctor) unless I eat a snack first. It can be dangerous to drive if you blood sugar is plummeting. 

I am interested....just how low are your blood sugars??
  • auddii
    Options
    Just a side note; at least here in the states, the meters are dirt cheap, but the test strips cost a fortune. I'm having low blood sugars, so I bought a machine for $20. Test strips? $150. Sucks. But, I'm consistently having low blood sugars and the doctor is currently running blood tests to identify the problem. So, I think testing can be worth it, and if you are having low blood sugars, I'd suggest seeing a doctor. I also increased how much I was eating. I'm also not allowed to drive if my blood sugar is below 90 (per my doctor) unless I eat a snack first. It can be dangerous to drive if you blood sugar is plummeting. 

I haven't had my blood sugar go above 130, even after meals. Usually they are around 70ish, and have gotten into the 50s. I have not had any episodes where I'm horribly shaky, but that's because I've upped my calories. When I test at 52 & 53, I'm not feeling very shaky, so I'm assuming that when I was feeling shaky it was lower, but I did not have a meter at the time.
  • vbrent07
    vbrent07 Posts: 115
    Options
    This happened to me at clinicals recently and I ended up fainting. I ate breakfast at 5 am but the incident happened at 12 , right before I was going to eat. I'm a healthy person I was just a little dehydrated and waited to long to eat. Do you work somewhere where you are constantly on your feet and walking or have you started working out a lot? If so you are probably burning a lot more calories then you think and I would eat a little extra and make sure you drink plenty of water. It wouldn't hurt for you to go to the doctor to get a physical get your blood drawn to check for a few things.
  • chatogal
    Options
    sorry to the person with "the side note", I just noticed you said your blood sugars were 90. Have to admit, I am used to the UK method of testing and reading cbg's...thank god for "onlibe converters...lol. Anyway, it would appear that "90" is a totally normal blood sugar...so I am confused by the diagnosis of hypoglycaemia....are you type 1 diabetic, because in that case it IS getting to the "lowish" side?
  • chatogal
    Options

I haven't had my blood sugar go above 130, even after meals. Usually they are around 70ish, and have gotten into the 50s. I have not had any episodes where I'm horribly shaky, but that's because I've upped my calories. When I test at 52 & 53, I'm not feeling very shaky, so I'm assuming that when I was feeling shaky it was lower, but I did not have a meter at the time.

yikes!!....ok...52-53 IS pretty low....hummmm...what a conundrum for your dr...best of luck...hope you get it sorted :flowerforyou:
  • Slaintegrl
    Slaintegrl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

A low-normal glucose is around 50. You don't have real problems unless it's under 30.

I WISH I could get my fasting glucose under 90.

Keep us posted.

BTW, you might want to see an endocrinologist...

Where did you get your figure of 50 - according to the American Diabetes Association, anything below 70 is considered abnormally low (hypoglycemia).
  • luvmyfitbit
    luvmyfitbit Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me, and just like you, I am not diabetic. I usually have some crackers and cheese or a banana. I always carry a protein bar in my purse incase it happens when I am out and about.
  • chatogal
    Options
    Interesting.

A low-normal glucose is around 50. You don't have real problems unless it's under 30.

I WISH I could get my fasting glucose under 90.

Keep us posted.

BTW, you might want to see an endocrinologist...

Where did you get your figure of 50 - according to the American Diabetes Association, anything below 70 is considered abnormally low (hypoglycemia).

The only thing I am going to add to this is that the below 70 (3.9 mmols in UK speak) would be low IN DIABETICS...not sure if it would be considered abnormally low in non-diabetics....maybe dr google can help :wink:
  • tottie06
    tottie06 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Hey scoochiebum! Not sure if this is related, but the only time I have ever had the shakes was when I did a juice fast/detox. The curious thing to me was I allowed myself to have a lot of it (as to not feel hungry). But still ...shakes. Then I discovered that once I added substantial protein in the form of large amounts of kale, I felt completely normal and fasted with ease. Spinach, watercress, and bean sprouts have protein, but kale is loaded with it. So, after all my blathering here lol I suggest adding protein. Maybe some to all of your meals or snacks. Also, I don't see harm in eating all the fruits and veggies you want. I could be way off, just my experience and thoughts.