Shin pain.. Help me, I wanna be a runner!

Options
I've been using the elliptical for a really long time. I went out and tried to do some jogging and failed. The front of my lower leg hurts every time my foot hits the ground. Is it my age(38), my weight? (175)? Is there anything I can do? Please help me!

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Calf stretches, shin muscle exercises (Draw the alphabet in the air with your toes) a couple times a day, ice your shins after you run for 15 minutes, be patient. You'll eventually get used to it but it won't be overnight and it won't happen if you quit.

EDIT: Don't run if the pain is severe and switch to a lower impact exercise like walking or the elliptical till it feels better. Soreness after running is normal.
  • DeputySox
    Options
    How many miles do you have on your running shoes? If they are old or worn out, may want to go get a gait analysis at a running shoe store. Good luck!
  • kliermann
    Options
    Heat before stretch and ice after
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Try getting some good sole inserts and make sure you have good shoes on - depending on your foot shape / arch height you could just be wearing the wrong style shoe. Get in a good warm up (try not to do too many static stretches until after your jog), make sure you're hydrated, focus on your form and strike pattern (heel, arch, ball - you shouldn't be striking too flat on the ground).
  • azdisneymama
    azdisneymama Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm definitely going to try all of it! :D