thinking of giving up caffine

Options
I have done it before the longest I have lasted was 6 months and this was loooong time ago now i drink like 4-6 cups of coffee or 1-3 monsters a day im kinda worried about how it may effect me and my weight loss i know the first couple weeks im gonna be a zombie thats a given...but yea anyone else do this that was addicted as i am?

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    My husband. He was drinking Coke non-stop. One day he got it in his head to quit, went to caffeine-free, then went to just no soda at all. He's been soda free for 6 years now.

You've got to give yourself time to get over the withdrawl symptoms, and make sure you get a little bit more sleep during that time.
  • kliermann
    Options
    yea but how much coke? lol monster has a lot of caffine but its also got a lot of niacin...maybee if i just take a B vitamin every morning...?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I haven't given it up, but I rarely drink soda anymore and never really drink the energy drinks. I used to drink a ton of coffee but keep it to 2 or 3 cups per day now. By the by, it won't really have any bearing on your weight loss other than many of those drinks are laden with extra sugar and thus extra calories that you probably don't need...but other than that, caffeine itself isn't going to have any impact.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Ya caffeine doesn't hinder weight loss one bit.

Eat at a calorie deficit and exercise (or not) consistently for an extended period of time to see progress.

Good luck!
  • kliermann
    Options
    thanks and I only drink sugar free sugar gives me gut rot so i stay away from sugar
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I would get rid of the energy drinks for sure. Also, I seem to recall reading somewhere (don't ask for a citation, IDK) that caffeine can provide a small boost to your metabolism for short periods...don't know if it's true or not...but caffeine itself is not the problem. Caffeine doesn't make us fat, too much food does.
  • kliermann
    Options
    oh hh no i know it doesnt make you fat im saying im afraid about how drained ill be for how long????? But I have a heart murrmur so i wanna get off the stuff for me just dont wanna be a slug for months
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I quit caffeine over 6 years ago. We had a free coffee machine at work, and it got to the point where I was getting caffeine headaches in the evening at home because I had not drank in coffee in a couple of hours. I was probably drinking 6-10 cups a day. That is when I decided I needed to get off of caffeine.

It was a horrible 2 weeks, I won't lie about that, but Advil is your friend.

Afterwards, I feel so much better. Now I don't feel like I need anything in the morning to get going, and I think I sleep much better than I used to. Overall, a very positive change.

As far as affecting weight loss, I lost over 250lbs while not having any caffeine.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    It shouldnt really affect your weight loss, however, not sure why you are doing it in view of the positive health studies on coffee in lowering diabetesII, liver issues and Parkinsons. As long as you don't use much cream and sugar the coffee can actually help in weight loss too. Add to the fact energy drinks do not have known health benefits and artificial sweeteners do have probable effects reducing weight loss and possible side effects...not going to judge you, but why would you do it? http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/coffee-and-health/AN01354

*edit ah OK you just responded heart issue...then dont do the energy drinks too for certain! :)
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I've been caffeine free for about 3 years now. I can't have it due to my bladder :( I would just detox slowly though. Don't go cold turkey. I miss my diet coke and coffees!
  • kliermann
    Options
    ohhhhh yea i also take pre workout thats got caffine :S oops lol I think i might quit the drinks like monster redbull and coffee and still take my pre workout till its gone lil
  • kliermann
    Options
    I can only drink it black, aaand thanks for the link!
    It shouldnt really affect your weight loss, however, not sure why you are doing it in view of the positive health studies on coffee in lowering diabetesII, liver issues and Parkinsons. As long as you don't use much cream and sugar the coffee can actually help in weight loss too. Add to the fact energy drinks do not have known health benefits and artificial sweeteners do have probable effects reducing weight loss and possible side effects...not going to judge you, but why would you do it? http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/coffee-and-health/AN01354
  • Swoopette
    Swoopette Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It is the cream and sugar that you put in your coffee that will help you with your weight loss. If you drink it black then you are okay. Energy drinks have so much sugar and if you can cut back on that you for sure will see a weight loss. Like I am one to talk I drink 2-4 cokes a day (regular) They say if you are going to drink a coke to drink the regular as the fake sugar doesn't break down in your system and it stays there and causes more problems than anything. (Dr.s thoughts) I am also trying to cut the coke out but it isn't that easy.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Why give up something you enjoy? Why not learn moderation and portion control. I'd be much happier knowing I can drink a cup or two of coffee a day and still stay within my goals than have to give it up completely. Moderation and portion control are the key to success!
  • brandierich
    brandierich Posts: 1,087
    Options
    I Quite coffee ... and really there is nothing wrong with coffee it is what we put into it but I find that without the coffee and just my pre workout I'm good to go I also find that I have more energy without having to needing the caffeine to give me that extra boost .. just saying that is the benefits that I have found ..
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    The biggest advantage I've found about giving up caffeine is that now when I need an occasional boost, caffeine seriously delivers.

I didn't intentionally give up caffeine as such. I just had to give up tea due to kidney stones, soda because I couldn't fit it in my macros, and I didn't much like diet soda. That really didn't leave any major sources of caffeine left.
  • kliermann
    Options
    Well im givin it up cause i feel dependent on it now and i dont like being dependent on anything I also went strait edge before when i was stationed in germany and I felt amazing after the first month never needed anything to keep me goin then i started liftin heavier and needed more boost haha and started up all over again
  • jukebox30
    jukebox30 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am giving up soda, it is so hard cause I want is a cold a soda whwn I get home from work, It has been hard but Im doing good It has been a week of no soda.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have done it before the longest I have lasted was 6 months and this was loooong time ago now i drink like 4-6 cups of coffee or 1-3 monsters a day im kinda worried about how it may effect me and my weight loss i know the first couple weeks im gonna be a zombie thats a given...but yea anyone else do this that was addicted as i am?

Don't quit cold turky. The Monsters have a HUGE ammount of Sugar in them. Cutting them out will help more than cutting the Coffee. You can also look into low Calorie sweetners. There are also Low-Calorie Caffinated drinks out there you might try. Green Tea is reported to give you energy.
  • brandierich
    brandierich Posts: 1,087
    Options
    yah that is what I found ... when you don't have to rely on it your body just naturally kicks you in the *kitten* and gives you that boost you need ...