Protein shakes/smoothies for women

Options
Hi guys! I've never posted on here but have a few questions!

I've decided to start using fruit and protein smoothies for meal replacement but am curious if it's better to have them pre or post workout? I'm a pharmacist so I've got a busy schedule which is why a smoothie is very easy for me to take for a meal.

I'm waiting for my gym to open in my town so for now am just doing treadmill work running 3-5 miles 3-5 times per week and some interval training, should the protein shakes/smoothies wait until I'm able to do a lot of strength training when the gym opens?

I've also been interested in trying some sort of fat loss/thermogenic product but am very skeptical (probably because of my job). Anybody have success with these?

Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I've decided to start using fruit and protein smoothies for meal replacement but am curious if it's better to have them pre or post workout?
    I always take mine post-workout. Your muscles need it then. I suppose taking it just before would be nearly as effective but I like doing my cardio fasted so I take it after.
    I'm waiting for my gym to open in my town so for now am just doing treadmill work running 3-5 miles 3-5 times per week and some interval training, should the protein shakes/smoothies wait until I'm able to do a lot of strength training when the gym opens?
    Running 3-5 miles is work and definitely exercising your muscles. Let me tell you how sore my calves and hamstrings were after this morning's run. I can feel it. That's pretty solid muscle usage. Protein recovery shakes aren't just for strength training. I'd recommend it for both.
    I've also been interested in trying some sort of fat loss/thermogenic product but am very skeptical (probably because of my job). Anybody have success with these?
    Snake oil salesmen. These provide a small bit of help but nothing more than taking a cup of coffee will do for you. You're wasting your money if you use them. Your general diet and calorie intake is all that's important for losing fat.
  • daggyc38
    daggyc38 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Very helpful! Thank you! Had a fruit, spinach, almond milk smoothie after today's run but didn't add the protein - will definitely add it tomorrow.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options

I've decided to start using fruit and protein smoothies for meal replacement but am curious if it's better to have them pre or post workout? I'm a pharmacist so I've got a busy schedule which is why a smoothie is very easy for me to take for a meal.
    All about your preference. Do you prefer to work out at empty stomach or not? Do you have more energy to work out at empty stomach or after eating something? Some people feel weaker/sick if they work out after eating, even if everything's digested and stuff, which is of course when you should work out if you don't want muscle cramps, I'm one of them. Some feel light headed and weak if they don't ate. So see what's your preference. Recovery wise taking protein/shake before workout won't make you recover better or build more muscle so as taking it right after won't help you either. That's a myth. Just get all your cals and macros in at that day at any time you want and you will be fine.
    Like I said, they won't help you recover faster or build more muscle than normal foods - a myth. So don't see why would you wait. If shakes are convenient for you you might as well start now. It's not like you gonna waste them cos it makes no difference apart from being more convenient than full meals.
    As of being interested in building muscle, bodybuilding, I have made some research on that drug part as well. And there are some fat burners that work. All of them are chemically crated and most is prescription based. And definitely not the healthiest thing for your body. But if you wanna take drugs to get in shape then go on. Can't really recommend anything cos I have not taken them myself and prolly never will. As far as natural ones go, I yet to hear something like that actually working, so pretty sceptical. Pretty sure you would not get more out of it as from green tea or something.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Fasted cardio (Running in my case) is a good thing. I want my muscles to learn how to use fat stores for fuel and to not depend on carbohydrates in the blood stream for fuel. This is good for fat loss but one could argue that the total fat loss is equivalent to eating before since in the end it's just a matter of calorie deficit for fat reduction. The catch however is if you're planning on doing any longer distance running. You want your body to become accustomed to using it's fat stores.

This is all a bit much if you're just wanting to lose weight and have no additional goals past that, however if you find that you're actually interested in this type of thing the following links have more detailed information on this.

http://www.marathonguide.com/training/articles/mandbfuelonfat.cfm

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/articlePages/article/2
  • daggyc38
    daggyc38 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is all a bit much if you're just wanting to lose weight and have no additional goals past that, however if you find that you're actually interested in this type of thing the following links have more detailed information on this.

http://www.marathonguide.com/training/articles/mandbfuelonfat.cfm

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/articlePages/article/2

I really enjoyed the first article thanks! I have decided to start a training to do longer runs but I'm not so sure I could ever work up to a marathon but I would be very happy with a half marathon so I really appreciate you posting those links.
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm actually looking for high protein options (natural as in real food, not powders) to add to my smoothies.

If anyone has a link to a thread covering this I'd be very grateful :smile:
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Ayla70 wrote: »
    I'm actually looking for high protein options (natural as in real food, not powders) to add to my smoothies.

Isopure has the highest protein per scoop that I have found. Many delicious flavors and they mix with water which is a bonus, taste pretty good too.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    [Edit:] nm - zombie thread.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Ayla70 wrote: »

I don't know of a thread, but I'd think any kind of dairy, especially greek yogurt, would be your best bet. I know some people will add pasteurized egg whites (from a carton) but I've never tried that. Nut butter can add some protein, but it is also calorie dense from the fat.