thinking of giving up caffine

Options
2»

Replies

• kliermann
    Options
    I dont do the sugar drinks suger jacks up my stomach :S low carb sugar free are the only ones i can ddrink
    I have done it before the longest I have lasted was 6 months and this was loooong time ago now i drink like 4-6 cups of coffee or 1-3 monsters a day im kinda worried about how it may effect me and my weight loss i know the first couple weeks im gonna be a zombie thats a given...but yea anyone else do this that was addicted as i am?

Don't quit cold turky. The Monsters have a HUGE ammount of Sugar in them. Cutting them out will help more than cutting the Coffee. You can also look into low Calorie sweetners. There are also Low-Calorie Caffinated drinks out there you might try. Green Tea is reported to give you energy.
  • jennyc1270
    jennyc1270 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    When I began my weight loss journey I decided to give up sodas and caffeine. I used to drink between 6-12 diet cokes a day and had headaches constantly. It has been nearly a year and I feel great. I think I've had one headache all year and feel like I have more energy without it. Makes no sense since it is a stimulant, but I really do.
  • kliermann
    Options
    yea that’s a lot of soda im glad you got off that! my dad got diabetes from diet coke :(
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I drastically reduced the amount of coffee I was drinking two weeks ago and switched the remaining occasional cup to decaf at the same time - for the same reason as you have. I haven't had any headaches but have felt a little sleepier occasionally. I've been drinking lemon and ginger tea and very dilute orange squash instead.

I'd say go for it!
  • brandierich
    brandierich Posts: 1,087
    Options
    I find that I take vitamin b12 and b75 complex to help for energy if needed
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I'd give up caffeine but I'm not a quitter, ha!!

I can do without sodas........but coffee is another story! :drinker:
  • kliermann
    Options
    haha if you had any idea how much i spent on energy drinks and coffe you would **** yourself haha i just bought a massive bag of coffee maybee ill quit energy drinks this month and quit coffee in the new year....

Cut the energy drinks, but coffee??? I would absolutely die if it was me so I can't say go for it! lol
  • Lauraplane
    Lauraplane Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have done it before the longest I have lasted was 6 months and this was loooong time ago now i drink like 4-6 cups of coffee or 1-3 monsters a day im kinda worried about how it may effect me and my weight loss i know the first couple weeks im gonna be a zombie thats a given...but yea anyone else do this that was addicted as i am?

Why?????? LOL. I love my coffee! Granted, I only drink it in the morning. I have 2 large mugs (14 oz) every day. I don't think I could live without it. Haha. Dropping the monster's is a good idea. Good luck to you!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    1. Why? Coffee is actually good for you.
    2. Nobody....and I mean NOBODY could be as addicted as I was to coke. 4 of the 2ltr bottles a day for 10 years till I went cold turkey. I would sleep with a bottle beside my bed just so I didn't have to get up to get a drink. I would make sure my son had milk or water, but no coke.... that was MY drink. I never had coffee, no water, no milk..... coke. For 10 years. No imagine combining that with no exercise & you have an overweight person.
    3. Coffee is not bad for you, not unless you have some heart problems or reactions to it. I drink coffee daily, about 4-5 cups a day.

Coffee FTW.
  • kenyonl85
    kenyonl85 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My usual Starbucks drink consists of 5 shots of espresso, nonfat milk, and sugar free cinnamon dolce. 5 shots of espresso just gets me above zombie. I have a super high tolerance for caffeine. Pretty much the only thing that sort of gives me a rush is Redline Extremes.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I would say do it gradually. Not cold turkey. I didn't do as much as you but I would start with cutting the full test coffee with decaf 3/4 regular to 1/4 decaf, then half and half then 3/4 decaf to 1/4 regular.
    Have a 'hugemongus' ;) glass of water when you want to have an energy drink and then if you still want it only drink half.

I eventually went to green tea and don't drink coffee at all anymore (cuz really what's the point of drinking decaf?) So I still get some caffeine but I like the green tea more. :)

Good luck - when I quit cold turkey 10 years ago I had a raging headache for 3 weeks!
  • brandierich
    brandierich Posts: 1,087
    Options
    that is cause you drink so much of it !
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    Good luck.

I don't want to give up caffeine as I've already given up plenty of things already....sugar, pasta..etc.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    2. Nobody....and I mean NOBODY could be as addicted as I was to coke. 4 of the 2ltr bottles a day for 10 years till I went cold turkey. I would sleep with a bottle beside my bed just so I didn't have to get up to get a drink. I would make sure my son had milk or water, but no coke.... that was MY drink. I never had coffee, no water, no milk..... coke. For 10 years. No imagine combining that with no exercise & you have an overweight person.
    3. Coffee is not bad for you, not unless you have some heart problems or reactions to it. I drink coffee daily, about 4-5 cups a day.

Coffee FTW.

Caffeine (which is found in normal coffee and other drinks) is NOT good for you if you have a heart murmur as the OP stated that he had.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I've never liked coffee or tea but I used to drink quite a bit of soda. I stopped drinking that several years ago (for the most part; I probably have 3 or 4 a year. Usually with whiskey). I remember being a bit sleepier at first but never had any headaches or anything. Your body adjusts.
  • andreagenther
    andreagenther Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I gave it up a few years ago. I switched from coffee and diet coke to tea, 6-8 a day, since black tea has about half the caffeine of coffee. Green tea has about 1/4 the caffeine of coffee so i slowly switched to that over about a month and decreased it to about 3 a day. I gave it up again when pregnant and switched to decaf and hot chocolate.
    I now have 1-2 coffees a week and about about 2/3 the tea in my cupboard is decaf which i drink whenever I want something hot and soothing. Most days I don't need the caffeine at all but some days it is nice to have the kick in the butt.
    I sleep better and have more energy without a constant supply of caffeine in my diet.
    Good luck with your goals.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I cut wayyy down on caffeine, but to help curb anxiety and some sleeping issues, not for weight loss. I do a 1 to 3 mix of caffeinated to decaf coffee beans in the morning and only do 2 20 ounce cups. I rarely if ever have any more caffeine in the day.
  • ILoveBreakfast671
    ILoveBreakfast671 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Been drinking coffee since kindergarten lol. I used to dump sugar and cream in it. Now its just black. Just 1-2 cups a day. I drink it before I hit the gym if I don't have preworkout. I like coffee...
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

Coffee FTW.

Caffeine (which is found in normal coffee and other drinks) is NOT good for you if you have a heart murmur as the OP stated that he had.

And didn't I state that it's not IF you have heart problems?:noway: