lift heavy...... IM TRYING

Options
As the title says , Im trying to lift heavy but i feel like my progress is so slow, Im currently on week 10 of All pros and i feel like im stalling on some movements already, overhead press being one i even had to deload as i couldnt get to the 11th rep last week now i know stalling happens but im nowhere lifting heavy enough to be stalling yet
Its frustrating the life outta me , I know we all have it in us to lift heavy
would love to hear from some of ye ladies who lift heavy and what yer progress was like

just an idea of my currents numbers

squat - 25kg (55Ibs)
bench - 15.5kg (34Ibs)
bent over row - 18kg (40Ibs)
overhead press - currently deloaded back down to 13kg (29Ibs)
deadlift - 35.5kg (78Ibs)
curling - 13kg (29Ibs)

Man i feel weak posting them numbers

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    "heavy" is relative and is generally in reference to the set reps more than it is the weight itself. "Heavy" is generally synonymous with strength training which is generally in the 1-5 rep range...this is the rep range optimal for strength gains. I'm not familiar with your program but if you're working in the 8-12 rep range you are doing more of a hypertrophy/physique training routine. You will make strength gains, but they will be slower as that rep range is optimal for hypertrophy but not necessarily big gains in strength.

Just keep doing what you're doing...if you have to de-load then de-load. The routine I'm currently doing has me doing sets of 12 one week then 10 the next and then 8...I start with a load that doesn't allow me to complete my final reps without assistance...once I can complete all my reps without assistance or a de-load I increase my weight. I'm not looking to make big strength gains right now...I'll switch back over to an actual strength program probably in the spring/summer.

If you really want to make big strength gains, do a strength program.
  • MACnificence
    MACnificence Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I just went with the all pro programme because the progression was with reps instead of weight like stronglifts, the reason i didnt choose stronglifts is because my gym doesnt have a squat rack and apparently this makes the progression in stronglifts more difficult
    as in terms of what rep range i should be lifting in, basically my goal is body recomp , i know there are alot of variables that contribute to this goal but thats my goal lose body fat , and have a nice lean physique
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    If thats your goal then stick with what you are doing, it will work fine. But strength gains will be slower than if you were on a strength program :)
    Also I find I make slower progress with strength when I am eating in a deficit which I assume you are
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad. I started out on the legpress machine at 50lbs. I read that a woman is supposed to be able to do 2 times her body weight, which for me would be about 250-260 lbs. Yeah right. I've worked up to 150 lbs, which is 3 times where I started. I'm pretty happy with that.
  • MACnificence
    Options
    Im at goal weight now so im starting to walk my calories up to reduce/eliminate deficit

so 8-12 rep range is best for my particurlar goal?
  • claston77
    claston77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Your numbers look fine to me, we all have to start somewhere. I'm in my fifth cycle but I started with weights similar to yours. I wouldn't worry about the feeling like you're stalling. Before I started all I read about was how Cycle 1 was "too easy" and when I went to the gym the first time I though I would die after the first workout :laugh: A bit more reading on the AP thread at BB.com revealed that the first Cycle should in fact be a bit challenging and if it is it means you figured out your 10RM correctly. As far as the OHP I'm on Cycle 5 but I haven't progressed on that dang lift since my initial increase from Cycle 1 to Cycle 2 so I feel your pain. But again apparently the bench press pretty much kills the muscles you need for OHP so that plays a part. My bench has gone up each cycle so I don't sweat it. I think you're doing fine but you should check out the All Pro group here as well and I think you'll find in relation to the rest of us doing this particular program you started great:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/12657-all-pro-s-beginner-intermediate-lifting-routines
  • MACnificence
    Options
    Don't feel bad. I started out on the legpress machine at 50lbs. I read that a woman is supposed to be able to do 2 times her body weight, which for me would be about 250-260 lbs. Yeah right. I've worked up to 150 lbs, which is 3 times where I started. I'm pretty happy with that.

ha thank you , i just cant help getting frustrated, deloading on my overhead press really annoyed me :sad:
  • MACnificence
    Options
    Your numbers look fine to me, we all have to start somewhere. I'm in my fifth cycle but I started with weights similar to yours. I wouldn't worry about the feeling like you're stalling. Before I started all I read about was how Cycle 1 was "too easy" and when I went to the gym the first time I though I would die after the first workout :laugh: A bit more reading on the AP thread at BB.com revealed that the first Cycle should in fact be a bit challenging and if it is it means you figured out your 10RM correctly. As far as the OHP I'm on Cycle 5 but I haven't progressed on that dang lift since my initial increase from Cycle 1 to Cycle 2 so I feel your pain. But again apparently the bench press pretty much kills the muscles you need for OHP so that plays a part. My bench has gone up each cycle so I don't sweat it. I think you're doing fine but you should check out the All Pro group here as well and I think you'll find in relation to the rest of us doing this particular program you started great:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/12657-all-pro-s-beginner-intermediate-lifting-routines

thanks so much for your reply :flowerforyou:

i think OHP is going to be the bane of my life, its a frustrating movement to say the least, Im happy to hear my numbers arent that pathetic i honestly thought people would laugh at them figures

do you mind me asking are you seeing alot of progress while on this programme i know everyone is different but im so eager to reduce my body fat percentage but i know it takes time and patience isnt my strongest point haha (im working on that) :):)
  • claston77
    claston77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for your reply :flowerforyou:

i think OHP is going to be the bane of my life, its a frustrating movement to say the least, Im happy to hear my numbers arent that pathetic i honestly thought people would laugh at them figures

do you mind me asking are you seeing alot of progress while on this programme i know everyone is different but im so eager to reduce my body fat percentage but i know it takes time and patience isnt my strongest point haha (im working on that) :):)

I've seen a good amount of progress in strength, enough progress that a chronic back issue I've been struggling with is almost non-existant now. The scale hasn't moved (I still like food a little too much) but everyone asks me if I lost weight all the time. If you go to the group you'll see progress pics and see other stories, it's a great program.