Trying to get rid of fat calves

Options
Hi everyone,

I always had big calves since I was a kid. I would say the majority of the bulk in my calves would be muscle instead of fat (although in recent years, it probably has gotten more fat tissue mixed in with the muscles). I am not a hard core athlete, but tend to like sports, so it could be a combination of sports activity and genetics (my mom is far from being athletic, and she still has muscular calves.

I was wondering if there is any way to minimize the size of my calves (other than breaking both my legs, and not using the muscles there, to reduce the bulk.) NB: I am joking....but it has been suggested in a different forum as an effective method to getting rid of muscular calves :noway: ) (ie. possible methods are to reduce caloric intake? or to run long distance or short spurts?)

I know some guys like muscular calves (I used to have a roommate who told me I was never to wear shorts/skirts in front of her boyfriend because she knows her boyfriend would love my calves :laugh: Weirdo...), however my personal preference has always been to have skinny legs instead of muscular ones. I know...I need to revise my thinking, but I can't help it.

The reasons I wanted to get smaller size calves are:
1) I am always self-conscious of them, and would love to wear nice short skirts.
2) Wanted to have an easier time buying and wearing boots. I :heart: boots (and most boots come in calve circumference of 14 inches or less, and my calves are 16 inches :sad: I usually have to go up in shoe size to be able to fit in a pair of boots, but it is quite uncomfortable.)

Thank you in advance for any useful information anyone could provide. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• MummaAimz
    MummaAimz Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I want an answer to this too!
  • klkopa
    klkopa Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a solution. I feel your pain on that one. Being short it makes it look even weirder when you have bigger calves. I've just gotten used to them and don't think about them.
  • bonniebrien
    bonniebrien Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Short of surgery, I don't think you can change your body shape. You can just get to your fittest, thinnest point, but your general proportions will be the same. I have fat calves. Not muscular. Just thick. I hate them. I have a very slim upper body. I have the same skirt/boot problems. I just go for long maxi dresses or jeans, and skip the boots. I try to think about my body's functionality when I get depressed at the way it looks. Like how grateful I am that my legs work, and work well. It helps, but still I hate my calves. Sigh.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I feel like mine are big.
    Lost a few inches over the last few years.

Even though they are muscular, I still feel like they are fat.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Last I checked I have 17 inch calves! They were big to begin with, they exploded when I got pointe shoes and then never really went back down again. They look nice but there is only one brand of riding boot that makes them big enough for me, which is annoying.

You can't spot reduce though. I would choose endurance type exercise over sprinting but it probably doesn't make a huge difference. Mostly keep on reducing fat, and wear heels I'm sure your legs look amazing in them!
  • sweetyJ
    Options
    To MummaAimz: Oh good, I hope someone answer our question. =)
    To klkopa: I know...I keep wishing there would be some safe medical breakthrough to get rid of muscular calves (but I guess that would be far under 1) curing all cancer, AIDs, and other far more important medical issues).
    To bonniebrien: I am with you. I am also bottom heavy. My upper body is usually a small, and always had difficulty in finding pants that fits my big butt and thigh etc. I know I should think about how my legs help me walk and stand longer and faster than other people. :laugh: )
    To hippiemommy: I am sure yours are lean now. I think sometimes it has to do with proportionality and not the actual inches. I think my ankle looks too small compared to my calves, and that makes it look worse.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I have been told that long-distance running can break down the muscle in your calves. I have no idea if there is ANY validity to this and I am sure one of the knowledgable folks will be along shortly to set me straight. If it is true, I will be increasing my mileage. :laugh:
  • missystinky
    missystinky Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also hate my calves. (Always have)
    No matter how thin I ever got, I hated my calves. I never had the nice definition I wanted.(bigger ankles didn't help...UGH)

As for running long distance, the theory is that running for more than 30 minutes causes your body to turn to your muscles for energy, so you burn muscle, instead of fat.
    Ever see a sprinter? They're large and all muscle. Most marathon runners are very thin.

Good luck to all of us!
  • swilkie1961
    swilkie1961 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have big calves too and tiny ankles. I always had been musclar in my legs so gaining additional fat on top of big calves didn't help any. So when they talk about losing some lean muscle, I won't mind.. :wink: Now I will be happy to get my calves back without the fat. I can grab fat on my calves now... :sad:
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

As for running long distance, the theory is that running for more than 30 minutes causes your body to turn to your muscles for energy, so you burn muscle, instead of fat.

Thank goodness it's a "theory"...... Please do not believe all theories that you read or hear about....If that was true, I'm probably all skin and bone and fat and have no muscles left......:sad:
    I run a lot more than 30 minutes at a time, and still have big calves - with a layer of fat on top of very defined muscles...
  • THATbeautifulpunk
    Options
    Hi there! I've been in the same boat as you for like, ever. I have big calves and I hate them. But I've picked up on some things that have been helping me a lot. First off, running is the BEST thing for slimming down any part of your body. I've lost 22+ pounds just by running and occasional sets of cardio, eating better, etc. My calves are starting to get better and more toned rather than just bulky, bleh. Another awesome trick is to ALWAYS stretch your calves, before and after workouts. The calf stretch where you use is the wall is the best way to help your calves look more long and lean. You could do brisk walking with incline to target your calves but if you do, make sure you only do this 1 or 2 times a week because too much incline will actually add to your bulkiness. But if you're doing it once or twice a week along with long distance runs, ( I start off 6mph, after my 5 minute 4mph warm up and go up to 8mph until I feel tired then I go back to 6mph or 5mph until I've caught my breathe or regained strength and then its back to 8mph for at least 40 minutes. Its tough but does wonders!) Yoga is good too. I try to do it once a week but its just too slow pace for me and if I don't feel the burn, I don't feel like I've done enough.
    Toe touches, believed it or not are awesome for your calves, if you keep your feet flexed while you do them, you'll feel it. Basic squats of course help slim down, as long as you keep your heel to the ground. Which is another thing, if you walk on your toes its probably adding bulk to your calves. Try walking on your heels instead, it stretches the back of your calves and leaves then slimmer and leaner. So I hope this was helpful, these are all things I've learned throughout my weight loss journey and they work for me. But keep in mind that all bodies are different.
  • vitabread
    Options
    Great advice! I second running and healthy eating, when I started losing weight all over from eating clean, I didn't notice much change in my thighs or legs until i started running. I did it 3-4 times a week for about 2 miles each time at a moderate pace, and I was finally able to start buying boots! Not all, but more than I could before :)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,699 Member
    Options
    Big calves and ankles here. Some of the problem might be fluid retention in lower legs. When i was in hospital, I was given compression stockings due to risk of thrombosis and was surprised by how dainty my how ankles and calves looked. Compression socks are now mainstream as the major sportswear brands market them for reducing risk of injury while training. See if compression socks help.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Torrid.com and othe Plus Size retailers are offering boots that accommodate bigger claves ...

ETA: I'm teeny (5'2 and 104 LBs) but my calves are 14 in ... I'm an avid runner, and I LOVE my sprinterval workouts ... Plus, I'm legally blind and can't drive, so I walk everywhere ... combine that with lifting (squats, lunges, deadlifts) and you have a recipe for awesome looking strong legs ...